Change routine for losing weight?

ElSteve

White Belt
Reaction score
I just started lifting about 3.5 months ago doing SS, and I've been seeing great results. The problem is....I'm fat. If I had to guess my bf%, it would probably be in the mid 20s. I was planning to start cutting weight for the next month or 2 to get myself to a more reasonable bf% before bulking again (hopefully fit into my old pants again too). I'm 5'10" and weigh about 215.

The question: do I need to change my lifting routine while I cut weight, or should I continue on the SS plan? I'm also going to be going back to Judo and BJJ, so I don't know how that will affect my rest days. Any advice? I know I won't be seeing the gains on my lifts as quickly, but can I still expect to see some progress while I'm losing weight since I'm so new to lifting?

I am a terrible example as I suck at cutting weight, but stick with SS. I have seen plenty of new lifters on bb.com run SS on a deficit and lose quite a bit of weight while gaining strength. Will you progress as fast as if you didn't restrict your calories, no, but you will progress. Remember that alot of the newb gains have less to do with gaining muscle mass than they do with neural adaptation.

I say stay on track and start keeping your diet in check. Programming in some HIT and/or LSD should not be a problem either.

I should really take my own advice, but I am lazy....

It's a good idea to get microplates or washers (or even short lengths of chain clipped to spring collars) so that you can microload, but in your case it's an even better idea. Your progress will be slower...but by using smaller increments you can make steadier progress than you would be able to otherwise.

BJJ, Judo and lifting with a mindful eye on what you eat will help you lose body fat. With 4 months of exp you probably won't see any dramatic progress on a calorie deficit.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't really expecting huge progress on a calorie deficit, I just wanted to keep the muscle loss to a minimum. As for keeping the routine the same, should I still aim for 3 days/week? I plan on doing Judo on Mon/Wed and BJJ Tue/Thur, and the switch between Judo and BJJ on Sat (Judo one week, BJJ the next). My current plan was to lift 2x/week instead of 3x/week on Fri/Sun. If its best to keep it at 3x, I guess I could squeeze in an extra lifting session during lunch. Would it be good to follow this plan, or should I schedule it so that I have at least 1 day completely off?

I looked at a article at elitefts while at school, its called "training the fatguy" no offense
Maybe you will find it interesting
Training for the Fat Guy

if your doing a 3 day split say MWF lifting, run 3-5 miles Tues and Thurs, light jog/swim sat, off sunday. Thats what I've been doing and have been showing good results.

Yeah, keep lifting. You're not necessarily going to keep seeing progress, but you'll be able to stay stronger as you lose fat.

if your doing a 3 day split say MWF lifting, run 3-5 miles Tues and Thurs, light jog/swim sat, off sunday. Thats what I've been doing and have been showing good results.

fartlek running I say it all the time. it allows your body to perform at a higher level throughout the run. (basically run 500m stop breath for 12 seconds do some simple single bodyweight exercise at no more than 40% of your max reps and nothing more than 30 reps (if you can do only 50 push ups straight do 20) include like 8 burpees, 30 crunches things of that nature) wait 10 seconds start running, start at what you normally would do for a 3 mile run and accelerate through the entire leg (which none after the first should be more than 300, and mix them up from 100 to 300) accelerate to 90% where no shit you would fall over if you ran another 10% of that leg at that pace (as in end at a pace where if you had to mantain it an extra 30m you would fall over) We did it at quantico and it worked, but didn'nt cause too much loss in muscle mass but allowed the ones overweight to burn fat. (oh one "exercise" should be a sprint 1/3 in, and the last exercise should be a sprint, then rest 10 seconds start at a jog and be a run into failure, thats just good for your mind)

Due to intermittent sprinting take a bottle of water with you, it will allowyou to go harder.

Eat less and better food.

bigger bites?

Bigger fork

MOSPRfork_hetherington.jpg

Back