Change My View: Nick Diaz will run through Lawler

I mean, we kind of know that Robbie is just a shadow of what he was. But, I'm inclined to believe that he still hits very hard and will decapitate a slower, unmotivated, rusty fighter. Now, what do we know about the current Nick Diaz?

Jarl

diaz will smash him easy and be WW champ again by the end of the year
his style is perfect to destroy usman

I don't think either runs through the other. I see a very tentative and stale fight between these two at this point. Lawler will be gun shy and Diazs typical taunting with no initiating offense will win his fans over but won't do much to cause any excitement

I don't agree that Lawler was the better fighter prime for prime. The only thing he had going for him that was better than Nick is that he has been better at stuffing takedowns, that's what won him the Hendricks fight. His fights with Rory his TDD played a factor as well. If Robbie would have stood and brawled with Nick like he did with Rory, he would have lost twice. Nick on the other hand is vastly better on the ground and overall a better striker.
Robbie's prime was UFC Champ. Nick's prime was Strikeforce champ. You could argue that Nick was the better fighter in Strikeforce given that Lawler was inconsistent in Strikeforce. I do think Lawler beat better people to get the UFC title shot and then the UFC belt. Robbie's UFC wins were better than Nick's Strikeforce or UFC wins. Although both of them lost to Condit IMO. Lawler was gifted a W vs. Condit.

the thing about the diaz bros is if you engage them directly you are going to lose.

the thing about the diaz bros is if you engage them directly you are going to lose.

Unless you hit hard enough to hit them and keep them wary, that’s what Masvidal was able to do but Robbie isn’t as fluid as Jorge. Robbie does everything hard though, so going off balance will drain him while Diaz probably keeps up the pressure. I don’t know though, it’s not like Nick hasn’t been knocked out before, but I hear Nick was KO’d in training and the fight has moved up to 185lbs.

Nick Diaz is old, swole with a body full of coke. His not gonna win any fights in the current UFC. BJ Penn is not on the roster any longer.

this is coming from someone who loved him since the Strikeforce days. His second run in the UFC was not impressive, going what, 1-3? I don’t see why this would be any different, when he has so spent a lot of his hiatus on drinking.

It’s going to come down to who’s been active while fighting some of the best in the world (Robbie) vs who’s been sitting around going on stoned bicycle rides (Diaz).

Don’t be shocked if Nick gets stiffened.

Just to start, I am not a Diaz fanboy in any way. If anything, I’m more of a Lawler fan.

I believe Lawler has too many fight miles on him to be effective in stopping Nick’s pressure style.

As of recent, Lawler has looked somewhat gunshy and a bit too happy to sit against the cage and dodge punches without throwing back.

Not throwing back and only defending is a sign of fight miles and age catching up.

I believe Nick will be the fresher fighter on Saturday, considering he only has to deal with ring rust and age. He doesn’t have to deal with fight mileage at all, because he has always had somewhat lengthy layoffs in between fights, especially in his recent career.
Pre Usada Lawler was an aggressive monster who threw down. No he's like Woodley, totally gunshy. I can see Diaz lighting him up again if he's fit enough.

This will look exactly like Nick v. BJ
Nate v. Cerrone
Nate v. Pettis
Nick v. Lawler (wait what?)

Look at the Askren fight. It was after everyone said Lawler's washed up. Lost the fight, but looked to be in prime killer form. Could've easily won by brutal stoppage, his style.

He'll enter this fight likely in that mindset. Lost the first fight vs Nick. Has heard about it for 17 years, seen the KO clip 1000 times. A rematch between them has been in talks many times. Now he gets a chance for revenge.

You are correct based upon simple facts
Lawler: 43 fights including 8 fights since Nate Diaz fought Anderson Silva in 2015
Nate Diaz: 35 fights including zero fights since 01-31-2015

Lawler at his best was better than Diaz at his best, but Lawler currently seems well past his prime. Lawler has lost 5 out of his last 6 fights. Nate is past his prime, but he might not have degraded as much given the lesser wear and tear over the last 6 years. Since we've not seen him fight in a long time, we really have no way of knowing his current fight abilities. If I was Robbie, I would attack the lead leg since Diaz isn't one to normally check kicks, use kicks to control distance (push, front and oblique), stick and move and over the top counters when Nick is coming forward while throwing jabs.

You have no idea what you're talking about and know nothing about fighting you clown. The worst is when newbs like you have the audacity to speak arrogantly like you have a clue

You don't even know what it means to "over the top counter" his jab. Don't repeat buzzwords you don't understand

1st of all, not only has Lawler NEVER EVER been known for 2 countering jabs (he holds a high guard, and if you hold rear guard to high it takes your 2 out of position, plus Lawlor prefers to catch and shoot from high guard), but even ignoring how clueless you are, NO, Lawlor would never want to outside slip Nate's jab

Outside slip will put his rear shoulder further away, meaning his 2 will have more distance to travel off the counter

Nick will either stuff his 2 with his jab (Lawler loading up the weight on the back leg off the outside slip) stuff Lawlor's counter 2 with double jabs, or have more then enough time to jab and bring his jab back to guard to block/catch

The only thing you stumbled upon was leg kicks, which everyone already knows about Nick

You clearly have no idea how fights actually work, how Lalwor even fights, and know nothing about fighting

Spend less time typing and watching bozos on youtube, and spend more time learning and reading books

The only facts to this match up is that:

1. Lawlor is a reactive fighter who back himself to the fence, and love to catch and counter from a high guard

2. Nick wants to put you to the fence with his jab, step in, position his head under the chin, lift to break posture and work the body. It's going to be that against Lawlor's catch and counters from high guard. Realistically speaking, expect a classic phone booth war in where Nick can probably overhwelm Lawlor (land combinations with his single shots) and gas him to the body

UNLESS Lawlor adopts the "Woodley gameplan" of circling (circling away from Nick's jab) Nick isn't half as good as Nate and had terrible ring cutting

Be grateful I just gave you a free education

Just to start, I am not a Diaz fanboy in any way. If anything, I’m more of a Lawler fan.

I believe Lawler has too many fight miles on him to be effective in stopping Nick’s pressure style.

As of recent, Lawler has looked somewhat gunshy and a bit too happy to sit against the cage and dodge punches without throwing back.

Not throwing back and only defending is a sign of fight miles and age catching up.

I believe Nick will be the fresher fighter on Saturday, considering he only has to deal with ring rust and age. He doesn’t have to deal with fight mileage at all, because he has always had somewhat lengthy layoffs in between fights, especially in his recent career.

I agree but uncertain how Nick will be as far as Lawler is concerned, he's shot.

I think this fight is giing to put the spotlight on the ufc in a negative way... Lawler is going to put diaz's lights out and then everyone with the benefit of hindsight will be like 'wow this should never have happened, who sanctioned this?!!!'
Now that this fight have been moved up a weight im really doubting diaz will even put up a competitive fight.

If he really has been starched in training, i really do question the wisdom of allowing him to fight.

You have no idea what you're talking about and know nothing about fighting you clown. The worst is when newbs like you have the audacity to speak arrogantly like you have a clue

You don't even know what it means to "over the top counter" his jab. Don't repeat buzzwords you don't understand

1st of all, not only has Lawler NEVER EVER been known for 2 countering jabs (he holds a high guard, and if you hold rear guard to high it takes your 2 out of position, plus Lawlor prefers to catch and shoot from high guard), but even ignoring how clueless you are, NO, Lawlor would never want to outside slip Nate's jab

Outside slip will put his rear shoulder further away, meaning his 2 will have more distance to travel off the counter

Nick will either stuff his 2 with his jab (Lawler loading up the weight on the back leg off the outside slip) stuff Lawlor's counter 2 with double jabs, or have more then enough time to jab and bring his jab back to guard to block/catch

The only thing you stumbled upon was leg kicks, which everyone already knows about Nick

You clearly have no idea how fights actually work, how Lalwor even fights, and know nothing about fighting

Spend less time typing and watching bozos on youtube, and spend more time learning and reading books

The only facts to this match up is that:

1. Lawlor is a reactive fighter who back himself to the fence, and love to catch and counter from a high guard

2. Nick wants to put you to the fence with his jab, step in, position his head under the chin, lift to break posture and work the body. It's going to be that against Lawlor's catch and counters from high guard. Realistically speaking, expect a classic phone booth war in where Nick can probably overhwelm Lawlor (land combinations with his single shots) and gas him to the body

UNLESS Lawlor adopts the "Woodley gameplan" of circling (circling away from Nick's jab) Nick isn't half as good as Nate and had terrible ring cutting

Be grateful I just gave you a free education
The irony. You telling someone to spend their time reading books yet your own grammar and spelling are atrocious. Your analysis is only based on selective fights, not holistic.

The irony. You telling someone to spend their time reading books yet your own grammar and spelling are atrocious. Your analysis is only based on selective fights, not holistic.

Why are you so triggered and bothered. You're taking that response oddly personal. As if you are his alternate account. Hopefully you get reported for having alts. If not, than its even more pathetic white knighthing for an internet stranger

Wanna know what's truly ironic? That you couldn't comprehend CONTEXT. "Stop watching breakdowns you don't understand on youtube from posers ," (it's the blind leading the blind), "AND READ BOOKS ABOUT FIGHTING." It's in the context. That was the context. You just exposed how you have zero reading comphrension. Dumbass

It's pretty obvious you know nothing about fighting. Which is why you can't even engage my actual post. That's the breakdown of who they are as fighters and how they match up. I actaully get paid by fighters for my breakdowns. You should be grateful. You honestly don't even deserve to speak to me. Once you learn fighting you will understand how things actually work, and then my post will make "sense." You are like a kindergardener trying to comprehend Beethoven right now.

Back