Chandler would put up a better fight against Khabib

Charles has a dangerous offensive game on the ground. Chandler would just try to escape and Khabib would immediately put him back down. He would have no energy in the second round and gets finished.
Pretty hard to attack from the bottom when your locked in the Dagestani hand cuff, and your legs are triangled, and khabibs head is constantly driving into your head, throat and chest.

The fact that he got taken down so easily by Charles and his back taken for a long period makes me think Khabib would control him. Khabib isn't afraid to stand and bang and put insane pressure on hard hitting strikers like Conor, Justin and Dustin. I doubt he would be scared to pressure Chandler, and Khabib's chin is insane. Once Chandler is baited into an exchange, it seems to me like the front leg is available for the single all day, and then it's the usual Khabib nightmare. Chandler escaped vs Charles, which was impressive, but it required a huge explosion, and one or two of those would get him exhausted in a 5 round fight. Sure, Chandler can catch anyone, but I don't really see it. The takedown threat changes everything in the standup, we've seen this movie before.

Oliveira is more intriguing imo because of his sub game and good standup, but Chandler was in his guard for an extended period of time without too much danger, I think Khabib could control him too.

Last edited:
Both Oliveira and Khabib should be respected as fighters who took the long road to the title, seized the moment when it came, and ultimately became champion.

Hyperbolic proclamations of Khabib dominating Oliveira deserve to be pushed back on, just as ones proclaiming Oliveira would dominate Khabib should.

There are strong arguments for both men having the edge, it is unfortunately a fight we will never get to see, so just leave it at respecting both for becoming champion.

Part of the reason Oliveira is so good on the ground is his flexibility, he is likely double jointed, that is a variable that might not make a submission so easy. Similarly, Khabib has incredible balance and grip strength that Oliveira would have a hard time dealing with. Both men have their edges.

Charles doesn’t care about no takedown threat. He welcomes takedowns. He wouldn’t be scared and over reactive to the level change/ level change feint. Chandler would.

Further, Charles will be pressuring khabib unlike gaethje or Dustin for example

Pressuring Khabib? Not happening.

Khabib stand up improved but it's not even close to top 10 in his division. You have to take into account the control time or fear of shot when you're looking at his numbers. His striking isn't just herky jerky it's rudimentary.
I'm not suggesting Khabib would win a kickboxing match without the threat of the the TD. I'm speaking in MMA terms. Elite strikers say they can't touch the guy clean. Dustin touched him once in three rounds, Conor same thing. Justin got him with a left hook, the hardest shot and he just rolled with it. If you want to underestimate his striking and management of range, that's on you.

Just don't try to move the goalposts about fear of shot. This is MMA.

The fact that he got taken down so easily by Charles and his back taken for a long period makes me thing Khabib would control him. Khabib isn't afraid to stand and bang and put insane pressure to the likes of Conor, Jutin and Dustin. I doubt he would be scared to pressure Chandler, and Khabib's chin is insane. Once Chandler is baited into an exchange, it seems to me like the front leg is available for the single all day, and then it's the usual Khabib nightmare. Chandler escaped vs Charles, which was impressive, but it required a huge explosion and that would get him exhausted in a 5 round fight. Sure, Chandler can catch anyone, but I don't really see it.

Oliveira is more intriguing imo because of his sub game on the ground and good standup, but Chandler was in his guard for an extended period of time without too much danger, I think Khabib could control him.
Agreed, but I think his sub game is irrelevant against Khabib, just as we expected Tony's would be against him, if they ever fought. We saw how Tony's sub game worked last night against a high level grappler, who has medalled in big competitions. I am sure if it was Oliveira he would have likely performed better in that situation, but against Khabib I just cant see it.

Agreed, but I think his sub game is irrelevant against Khabib, just as we expected Tony's would be against him, if they ever fought. We saw how Tony's sub game worked last night against a high level grappler, who has medalled in big competitions. I am sure if it was Oliveira he would have likely performed better in that situation, but against Khabib I just cant see it.

Agreed, I think the chances of Khabib smeshing Oliveira with top control and ground pound against the fence are much higher than the chances of Charles catching Khabib on the feet or with a sub. However, Charles could go in and accept the takedown and have a sneaky choke ready to go, which is something we've never seen anyone do, I believe he has the highest sub % in UFC. I think Khabib's sub-awareness is too good, but it would be the most interesting matchup available. Still, I'd have Khabib as a -300 favorite.

Last edited:
Both Oliveira and Khabib should be respected as fighters who took the long road to the title, seized the moment when it came, and ultimately became champion.

Hyperbolic proclamations of Khabib dominating Oliveira deserve to be pushed back on, just as ones proclaiming Oliveira would dominate Khabib should.

There are strong arguments for both men having the edge, it is unfortunately a fight we will never get to see, so just leave it at respecting both for becoming champion.

Part of the reason Oliveira is so good on the ground is his flexibility, he is likely double jointed, that is a variable that might not make a submission so easy. Similarly, Khabib has incredible balance and grip strength that Oliveira would have a hard time dealing with. Both men have their edges.
Agreed, but after last night seeing how Tony did against a high level grappler, I think its put that idea to bed in regards to both Tony and Oliveira against Khabib. Sure Tony is washed up, and Oliveira outclassed him in the grappling when they fought. You have high level grapplers, then you have Khabib, and Khabib is just that much better.

Take high level grapplers like Jacare, and Rodolfo. They can be beaten at their own game in MMA, so no matter how high level Tony and Oliveira are claimed to be, which compared to the previous 2 I just mentioned are not considered high level IMO. Khabib would just dominate with ease as his MMA grappling is a different level, and I think even easier as they are reckless enough to accept the take down in hope that their bottom game threat of submissions and escapes would pose a threat.

I'm not suggesting Khabib would win a kickboxing match without the threat of the the TD. I'm speaking in MMA terms. Elite strikers say they can't touch the guy clean. Dustin touched him once in three rounds, Conor same thing. Justin got him with a left hook, the hardest shot and he just rolled with it. If you want to underestimate his striking and management of range, that's on you.

Just don't try to move the goalposts about fear of shot. This is MMA.

I thought we were speaking on his striking. My honest take is Khabib is as tough as Burgos. He's taken plenty of shots that should have been KO shots but he just keeps up his poker face. His actual striking is not there though. It's all fear of the shot. His defense is so bad... his shot selection is so bad... Marginally worse chin or toughness and I think we'd have seen him finished a few times.

Fair enough. Especially if he grinds him by the cage. But for Oliveira to snatch a submission all it takes is a chance.
Nah, maybe a guillotine. But even then I cant see any position that would put Khabib at risk, maybe the take down and getting stuck in a guillotine. But I think he would be prepared and wouldn't over commit and expose his head like he did against Dustin

I thought we were speaking on his striking. My honest take is Khabib is as tough as Burgos. He's taken plenty of shots that should have been KO shots but he just keeps up his poker face. His actual striking is not there though. It's all fear of the shot. His defense is so bad... his shot selection is so bad... Marginally worse chin or toughness and I think we'd have seen him finished a few times.

Sorry, I was talking about his mma striking and tying it all up together.

I think khabib's reflexes bails him out when he is defensively irresponsible.

Chandler wouldn't be able to land clean. Khabib sees the punch last min, takes his head on center line, gaethje hits his upper peck, neck area and Khabib rolls with the left hook. Elite strikers say they can't touch him clean. I believe it.

Sorry, I was talking about his mma striking and tying it all up together.

I think khabib's reflexes bails him out when he is defensively irresponsible.

Chandler wouldn't be able to land clean. Khabib sees the punch last min, takes his head on center line, gaethje hits his upper peck, neck area and Khabib rolls with the left hook. Elite strikers say they can't touch him clean. I believe it.

I mean I consider JG striking to be poor. Chandler's significantly faster.
Either way I still think Khabibs goat LW atm and we're all talking about hypotheticals... His striking just seems to be so poor. Everyone hits him. I'm sure everyone hurts him. He's just the baddest LW on the planet and gives no fucks.

Lmao what a boring fence-sitting take

Khabib would destroy Oliveira easier than Dustin, Gaethje, or Conor

I mean I consider JG striking to be poor. Chandler's significantly faster.
Either way I still think Khabibs goat LW atm and we're all talking about hypotheticals... His striking just seems to be so poor. Everyone hits him. I'm sure everyone hurts him. He's just the baddest LW on the planet and gives no fucks.
chandler's speed is overrated. Chandler is quick, he's not fast. He's explosive in bursts. Chandler would have to one shot khabib and put everything in that punch to KO him.

But back to your point, I think Gaethje's striking for MMA is elite. I think conor, dustin are better strikers. I don't know if chandler is a better striker than gaehtje. I want to see that match up. I think gaethje works chandler. gaethje is better defensively. Chandler moves in straight lights. Gaethje has better footwork. Chandler has punchers chance. Wrestling will be negated, especially at 35.

chandler's speed is overrated. Chandler is quick, he's not fast. He's explosive in bursts. Chandler would have to one shot khabib and put everything in that punch to KO him.

But back to your point, I think Gaethje's striking for MMA is elite. I think conor, dustin are better strikers. I don't know if chandler is a better striker than gaehtje. I want to see that match up. I think gaethje works chandler. gaethje is better defensively. Chandler moves in straight lights. Gaethje has better footwork. Chandler has punchers chance. Wrestling will be negated, especially at 35.
If Gaethje and Chandler fight i'm going with Gaethje unless Chandler can find that flat liner. Gonna be hard against a guy like Gaethje

And yeah if I see khabib losing it's probably a flat liner. The guy is just too tough to wilter. He was smart to get out while he did... Like... i'm not dissing him but he took some heavy shots and it's only a matter of time,of chance, before the brain goes click.

His striking just seems to be so poor. Everyone hits him. I'm sure everyone hurts him.

Bit exaggerated, no? Dustin and Conor have some of the best hands at LW, neither one could do anything significant to Khabib in the striking and certainly didn't hurt him standing, they barely landed. Michael Johnson and Justin are the only ones who touched him somewhat cleanly. And how is JG's striking poor in the context of MMA?

Last edited:
Those kicks khabib ate from justin would fold most fighters just look how conor folded at a couple from dustin and i would like to see how chandler would take them and still win. i see very little chance in chandler knocking out khabib with he's iron chin and heart and khabib had the most insane pressure and great jab.

If Gaethje and Chandler fight i'm going with Gaethje unless Chandler can find that flat liner. Gonna be hard against a guy like Gaethje

And yeah if I see khabib losing it's probably a flat liner. The guy is just too tough to wilter. He was smart to get out while he did... Like... i'm not dissing him but he took some heavy shots and it's only a matter of time,of chance, before the brain goes click.
I agree, if he stuck around long enough he would lose, but I still think his defense is better than what you give him credit for.

Back