Chandler vs. Gaethje potentially in jeopardy due to vaccine requirements in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it isn't. He's young and healthy. You can still get the delta variant while vaccinated and you're still contagious. On top of that, waiting for FDA approval is a decent line to draw in the sand.

That being said, I wouldn't be hanging around any geriatrics if I wasn't vaxxed. Or at this point, even if I am, since it doesn't matter.

This is ridiculous, A) vaccine is here to prevent you from getting severe forms of Covid, prevent massive contagion, but not avoiding it. B) Vaccines put on the market are already approved to be safe.

Thing is, the state has made it mandatory, so its either to vaccine or pull out now, i hope NYSAC doesnt bend to fighters requests.

They shouldn't, I guess. I mean I feel like the competitor vs. the crowd is a bit different, but if you're going to do it, do it.

Ridiculous. This has got to be the first time anyone’s ever pulled out of a fight due to being anti-vax.

Just as they were all required to get Covid tested, the UFC should mandate vaccination to avoid this sort of nonsense.

Why they want to go to New York anyways? That's some bullshit they're doing over there requiring proof of vaccination for all people lol.

Gunna be interesting if a lot of people start dying off due to these early vaccines but the govt will just write it off as natural since they're vaccinated.

On a separate note, O'Malley said UFC contacted him to see if he'd be interested in fighting on that card, but that he's going to pass because New York taxes, and that he's prefers to fight in Vegas which he alluded to as the location for 269.

Source: one of his podcasts. Yes, I actually listened to one of his podcasts. :D

No it isn't. He's young and healthy. You can still get the delta variant while vaccinated and you're still contagious. On top of that, waiting for FDA approval is a decent line to draw in the sand.

That being said, I wouldn't be hanging around any geriatrics if I wasn't vaxxed. Or at this point, even if I am, since it doesn't matter.
Being healthy does not necessarily help you.
There are more than enough young and healthy people who got fucked up by covid-19 and that could happen to Chandler too.

Also, obviously no vaccine prevents an infection 100% guaranteed, but if you're vaccinated and get infected, the chances you're having harsh symptoms are tiny.

The fact that if you're infected while vaccinated means that you have a way lower amount of germs inside your body also means that you're more unlikely to infect others with a severe case, since the severity of covid-19 symptoms depends on the amount of germs you're getting exposed to upon Infection.

So all things considered, i respectfully disagree.

If I heard it right in radio today pfizer got the full approval today.

This is ridiculous, A) vaccine is here to prevent you from getting severe forms of Covid, prevent massive contagion, but not avoiding it. B) Vaccines put on the market are already approved to be safe.

There are not severe forms of COVID, unless you want to classify the delta variant as such. There are severe symptoms. Severe symptoms in Chandler's age category and health status are virtually zero, statistically. The vaccines are approved to be safe, but also approved for use without the ability to sue for damages. So, there is nothing wrong with trepidation about it. Statistically is it safer to get the vaccine? On a whole, yes, and I wouldn't advise someone not to get it, but as an individual he has relatively the same risk as suffering a benign side effect such as bells palsy (which would impact training) as he does getting severe symptoms, which again, is basically 0.

Being healthy does not necessarily help you.
There are more than enough young and healthy people who got fucked up by covid-19 and that could happen to Chandler too.

Also, obviously no vaccine prevents an infection 100% guaranteed, but if you're vaccinated and get infected, the chances you're having harsh symptoms are tiny.

The fact that if you're infected while vaccinated means that you have a way lower amount of germs inside your body also means that you're more unlikely to infect others with a severe case, since the severity of covid-19 symptoms depends on the amount of germs you're getting exposed to upon Infection.

So all things considered, i respectfully disagree.

Being healthy does 100% help you, that is a complete falsehood. I've worked the ER/ICU for the last 18 months during this pandemic and honestly (subjective experience here) have not seen or taken care of a healthy young male or female with severe COVID symptoms, they're all discharge home and quarantine. Now, obese/smoker/etc., yes. This is a small sample size, I'm not sure on how many I've seen but it's certainly at least in the several hundred range at minimum, maybe over 1,000. I don't know, it's been a long couple years.

Also, I think you need to refamiliarize yourself with the delta variant and vaccinations. The current data suggest that the viral loads are not impacted by vaccination, or maybe minimally. The vaccine is also not nearly as effective at prevention with this variant.

Do I think there's harm in getting the vaccine? Nah. Do I think it's safer than being vaccinated? Yes. But in this particular case, I think the likelihood of a negative outcome one way or the other are essentially equal. He's put forth a reasonable perspective on why he's waiting to receive the vaccine and he is his own medical proponent, as he should be.

Last edited:
With all due respect, but declining to get vaccinated at this point is quite frankly stupid.

Come one Chandler...
It takes years of studies to find out what the actual side effects are. With all due respect blindly accepting chemicals into your body because the government says so is quite frankly stupid.

Espicially now a days when the governemnt is still very untrustworthy so I can see why a lot of people are still not vaccinated because you cant put your faith in the governemnt when all they care about is profiting off you, and trying their best to make your life a living hell due to taxes, not looking after poor folks and lying about all the sex trafficking they're clearly involved in.

Yes make a man inject something in his body he doesn’t want to for your benefit.

If by benefit you mean not endangering the health and welfare of others around him, then yes. Protecting others around us is kind of the point of vaccination.

This vaccine hesitancy is puzzling given all the junk professional athletes inject into their bodies all the time.

I think 21 days between shots 1 and 2. May be different depending on which vax you get.
21 days between vaccines plus another 14 days till you get sufficient imuno reaction. After 35 days you are vaccinated. At least that's how it is in Europe.

Didn’t expect that many commies here saying the UFC should enforce vaccinations on their “independent contractors”.

Before you flame, I’ve received it, but definitely understand hesitations.

Imagine throwing away potentially millions because you are anti-vax. What an idiot.
How is he "anti-vax" if he's skeptical about certain things pertaining to specifically the COVID vaccine? He just stated that his son has vaccines and I'm sure he, himself, has every other vaccine in the book. This shit about "if you're skeptical about the COVID vaccine, you're an anti-vaxxer!" is such a stupid and lazy take. Just because the guy wants to be informed and cautious about what he jabs into his body doesn't mean he's Jenny McCarthy.

On a separate note, O'Malley said UFC contacted him to see if he'd be interested in fighting on that card, but that he's going to pass because New York taxes, and that he's prefers to fight in Vegas which he alluded to as the location for 269.

Source: one of his podcasts. Yes, I actually listened to one of his podcasts. :D
That sounds very reasonable, he knows he isnt the main event or anything, him fighting wherever doesnt make a difference as a "dream venue" of some sorts like it would be to some fighters, im not sure of the numbers, but afaik Nevada has different state taxes, way better to decline like that (and he was just asked) and not some vaccine rambling.

21 days between vaccines plus another 14 days till you get sufficient imuno reaction. After 35 days you are vaccinated. At least that's how it is in Europe.

I think that’s correct. I got my 2nd shot in April due to work requirements at some federal sites.

If by benefit you mean not endangering the health and welfare of others around him, then yes. Protecting others around us is kind of the point of vaccination.

This vaccine hesitancy is puzzling given all the junk professional athletes inject into their bodies all the time.
I agree with all the nonsense most athletes inject in their body's. It is hypocritical to choose but given where he lives….he has that choice. As much as I want to see this fight I’m not in a agreement to make him do it. And I don’t know how many people he comes in contact with daily. If you are concerned about getting Covid. Wear your mask and get your shot. Statistically speaking. You should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back