Chandler vs. Gaethje for Lightweight Title

doesnt matter who has the lw title, as long as khabib is walking around they will always be second best in the back of everyone's minds
Pay definitely matters.

If anything it should be Tony vs someone and Chandler as backup fighter

Still think they should do a tournament to settle this like they did with the UFC flyweight title back in 2012.

I'd like to see Ferguson fight for the belt next.

No way, that would have been like Askren fighting Usman in his first UFC fight. Chandler needs at least one win against a top 5 LW to even be given consideration.

Justin just received a title shot and lost. Like Dustin, he too has to get a win to earn another title shot.

If anything it should be Tony vs someone and Chandler as backup fighter
Tony vs who, really? No one wants tony vs Justin 2.
Except you, if he fucked your mom and wife at the same time. Twice.

A title worth it's salt must be Gaethje vs a very top LW for the strap. Except Tony.

I'm convinced Chandler is a marketing experiment gone wrong. Take a guy with ZERO top 10 wins over the last 8 years and market him first as the stand-in for the title fight, then see fans argue he should get an instant title shot afterwards. Lol on what planet is any of this justified? Do all of Chandler's extended family have Sherdog accounts or are you guys actually serious?

Not for the belt, but I like the fight. Both guys are scrappers and I'm sure it would be a total mess.
Chandler is soooo chinny. Justin would KO him unconscious with the first punch.

Reactions: mkw
JDJWYv0.gif

That's what I think lol.

Gaethje won’t get a title shot right after losing a title fight...
I agree. That would be like Reyes getting a vacant title shot after losing a decision to Jon. Completely impossible. Or Hendricks fighting for a vacant title after trailing to GSP.

I'm convinced Chandler is a marketing experiment gone wrong. Take a guy with ZERO top 10 wins over the last 8 years and market him first as the stand-in for the title fight, then see fans argue he should get an instant title shot afterwards. Lol on what planet is any of this justified? Do all of Chandler's extended family have Sherdog accounts or are you guys actually serious?
Can't speak for the UFC's placement of him, as I'm a bit flabbergasted as well, but I don't blame him for accepting the amenities he's afforded. One good thing about him being the "alternate" was that he could step in on a days notice, lose, and it would be inconsequential to the rest of the landscape. The remaining contenders who could have been given that spot don't lose their status or acquire an L on a last minute arrangement. Having not beaten a single contender, he had everything to gain in that situation. Nonetheless, it's clear the UFC has big plans for Chandler on the horizon.

I feel the UFC will do

Conor/Poirer (possibly for the title)
Tony/Chandler/Gaethje in some capacity

Or just a run a 4 man tourney, really.

Truthfully Chandler should fight Oliviera or Hooker, but I think they both have a decent chance of beating him.

Can't speak for the UFC's placement of him, as I'm a bit flabbergasted as well, but I don't blame him for accepting the amenities he's afforded. One good thing about him being the "alternate" was that he could step in on a days notice, lose, and it would be inconsequential to the rest of the landscape. The remaining contenders who could have been given that spot don't lose their status or acquire an L on a last minute arrangement. Having not beaten a single contender, he had everything to gain in that situation. Nonetheless, it's clear the UFC has big plans for Chandler on the horizon.

I feel the UFC will do

Conor/Poirer (possibly for the title)
Tony/Chandler/Gaethje in some capacity

Or just a run a 4 man tourney, really.

Truthfully Chandler should fight Oliviera or Hooker, but I think they both have a decent chance of beating him.
I got no problem with the man trying to further his career or even the UFC for having a backup (the guy was available so why not/better than cancelling an event in the worst-case scenario).

I agree though, I think he should fight either Oliviera or Hooker ideally. Think he loses, but he deserves a shot of busting into a ranked position. Definitely not a title eliminator however. That is crazy talk.

I agree. That would be like Reyes getting a vacant title shot after losing a decision to Jon. Completely impossible. Or Hendricks fighting for a vacant title after trailing to GSP.
Completely different situations. Reyes and Hendricks got ROBBED and they would have gotten a well deserved rematch anyway. Justin got DESTROYED.... worst performance ever. Imo he won’t get jackshit.

Completely different situations. Reyes and Hendricks got ROBBED and they would have gotten a well deserved rematch anyway. Justin got DESTROYED.... worst performance ever. Imo he won’t get jackshit.
Gaethje made him quit, like he said he would. Literally sent the dude into retirement.

Chandler should start with someone like Kevin Lee or Makhachev.

You see where BT, One, etc top guys are at first, if they can perform to be contenders in the UFC. Those tests are necessary, as there are questions of their quality, competing in smaller shows. Yet they have names and ranking to demand good contracts.

Same for Chandler. He has been on the level of Alvarez and Brooks. Yet, Will Brooks couldn't get anything going. A title shot right away can be a waste of a fight if Chandler can't perform in the UFC.

And this depends on if Conor vs Poirier happens. Because Poirier and Gaethje are the current top contenders who should be fighting for the vacant belt. Recent results have them as #1 and #2.

If Conor doesn't take that fight then it's easy to make Poirier vs Gaethje for the vacant. Otherwise they could just make Conor vs Poirier for it and have Gaethje fight the winner.

Last edited:
Back