Chandler does not deserve a T5 fight. Period.

He's been around long enough and fought some high level guys. Give him a crack at the top five and lets see how it goes. Fresh meat in the division makes it more interesting.

Unless he had an exemption for a short notice fight, he's not eligible to fight until he's been tested for at least six months.

I'm not sure if the rules on that have changed at all since the Lesnar fiasco; @dim_ ?
It seems that the 6 months rule only applies for guys that were in the USADA pool and left for whatever reason, new signed fighters get some sort of "benefit of the doubt" and they can state what they have been using, i guess there are stuff that they simply wont allow them to compete but it seems he is cleared to fight on any given night.

I don't think they paid him what they did to have him fight guys no one cares about.

I'm pretty sure the difference in PPV buys would not be that much between:

Chandler vs. Dober and Chandler vs. Poirier or Hooker

The problem is, you're not thinking like the UFC/Dana. Chandler was acquired precisely for the purpose of immediately fighting top tier opposition, even for the belt. He's in the UFC to either become a new star, or to be used to argue that Bellator is inferior to the UFC. No way, they are going to waste him in fights that won't yield a return on their investment.

Amen

Dude got knocked out by a 145'er less than 2 years ago. Is he some superstar? Is he bringing a million extra PPV buys or something? What am I missing?
Okay I don't agree with the Chandler push either, but it wasn't just a random 145er who knocked him out.. Pitbull would be top 3 in the UFC division, maybe champion. Chandlers last loss isn't to a nobody.

I'm pretty sure the difference in PPV buys would not be that much between:

Chandler vs. Dober and Chandler vs. Poirier or Hooker
Pretty sure you're wrong! Chandler vs Poirier is a legit co main on a ppv. chandler vs Dober is a prelim main event

lol at the salty UFC shills beside themselves that even Dana and UFC matchmakers agree that Chandler belongs in the best fights..sick with worry that he’ll smash his first opponent even though he lost his Bellator title and most who have followed Bellator observed him being past his prime. Still good enough to just walk into the title picture in “the ultimate proving ground”

Now we’re rewarding fighters for making weight? For a fight they had no business being an alternate in?
Was this ever an actual sport or was I just some naive little shit
I would like to incentivize having strong alternates for big main events so we don’t get them cancelled. This is one good way of doing that. Have alternates for big fights and reward those alternates with high profile fight of their own.

Unless he had an exemption for a short notice fight, he's not eligible to fight until he's been tested for at least six months.

I'm not sure if the rules on that have changed at all since the Lesnar fiasco; @dim_ ?

why would it be 6 months? he has never been in the usada testing pool prior and to my knowledge he has never been suspended for a substance prohibited at all times.

So its 1 month, like all other new signings, unless its short notice replacement.

why would it be 6 months? he has never been in the usada testing pool prior and to my knowledge he has never been suspended for a substance prohibited at all times.

So its 1 month, like all other new signings, unless its short notice replacement.
Thanks for clearing it up ;).

He didn’t sign with the ufc in his mid 30’s to fight nobodies, time is running out for Mike. He will face a top 5 if not 3 guy next.

I'm not sure but Chandler was the backup for Khabib-Gaethje if either of them got injured, COVID, etc. I don't understand how that works either. Rumble can't fight until Feb. 2021 though I'm pretty sure he went into the testing pool before Chandler.

Rumble was previously in the testing pool and then voluntarily left the pool. So yes, he has to do 6 months back in the pool before he can compete.

The only reasons you have to do 6 months are:

A) if you voluntarily left the testing pool for whatever reason
B) Have previously tested positive for a substance prohibited at all times

(those 6 months are concurrent, so Lesnar for instance does not have to 12 months on his return, just 6)

Reactions: mkt
he's fodder until he wins a few fights. that's my point. his destiny isn't predetermined. he's not one or the other.
But that stance ignores the fact that his “destiny” as an immediate alternate for a title fight was predetermined and utterly absurd. It would be totally unreasonable to argue, given his body of work, that he should be leapfrogging anyone in the top 10 for that position. He’s the latest beneficiary of nepotism and it’s disrespectful to everyone in the top 5 that he was literally pre-selected as a title fight contender without having shown any evidence of being able to swim with those sharks.
All we know about him is that he’s not the best LW in Bellator, which is evidence enough that he shouldn’t be gifted contender matches.

I would like to incentivize having strong alternates for big main events so we don’t get them cancelled. This is one good way of doing that. Have alternates for big fights and reward those alternates with high profile fight of their own.
He’s not a strong alternate though. That’s the point. His record in Bellator is evidence that he likely doesn’t belong on the top 10 LW rankings. He was just handed that position because he’s Dana’s latest pet. I’ve got no problem with rewarding folks for stepping up, but that’s not the system we have. The system we have is rewarding whoever Dana likes without regard for any other variables at all. There are five other guys, minimum, who would’ve been more deserving alternates. He gave chandler a pay day without having ANY octagon experience and also handed him a major opportunity that screwed people who are almost certainly better and probably equally able to step up.

The dude has put his time in and has remained near the top in the world at 155 for many years. He will get a top contender match.

I see him and Tony in Feb or early March.

Dana just gave more contracts out last night to some WMMA amateurs and a manlet flyweight who can't even pronounce his own name, and you think Chandler isn't worthy of fighting Dan fucking Hooker?

They don’t pay these named guys from other orgs to be no names in the UFC. You’re either fodder to make the competition look bad or you’re a title contender. No in between

Uh, what?

They signed Will Brooks, the guy who beat Chandler for the LW belt and then in the rematch and then defended the Bellator LW belt again afterwards.

Then they made his UFC debut against Ross Pearson of all people. Ross was barely middle of the pack at LW at the time. After that they gave him Brazilian Cowboy. That ain't fodder to make the comp look bad or a title contender. They started Brooks literally right in between.

And then he lost 3 and got cut after talking about how he was going to take over lol.

EDIT: nvm. I misread your post. You're right lol. In the end Brooks was totally used as fodder to make bellator look bad, which he did.

Sure he wants a top 5 guy ONLY, he loses and its not as bad as getting beat by a Trinaldo or A. Hernandez coming in

Uh, what?

They signed Will Brooks, the guy who beat Chandler for the LW belt and then in the rematch and then defended the Bellator LW belt again afterwards.

Then they made his UFC debut against Ross Pearson of all people. Ross was barely middle of the pack at LW at the time. After that they gave him Brazilian Cowboy. That ain't fodder to make the comp look bad or a title contender. They started Brooks literally right in between.

And then he lost 3 and got cut after talking about how he was going to take over lol.

EDIT: nvm. I misread your post. You're right lol. In the end Brooks was totally used as fodder to make bellator look bad, which he did.
Seems like they actually gave brooks a chance based on those first few fights. Cowboy O is a motherfucker though

Typically it’s right to the sharks and you either sink, making the other org look bad, or you swim and become useful and marketable to the ufc fanbase.

Also I’d wager that chandler is being paid a little bit better, shortening his leash

Back