Chandler 1 win 1 title fight, Ferguson 12 wins streak 0 title fight

I mean, it’s not like the refused to give Tony a shot. He was scheduled to get one several times but it just didn’t work out. Bad luck on his part.

Injuries kept him out of several title shots. But still got the interim title. It was unfortunate.

Tony got 2 title shots. Just a shame they both fell through.

Full disclosure: Never been a Tony fan; because I don't care for the way that he chooses to fight just hoping to out tough his opponents.

Didn't really care either way until his Lando Vannata that seemed to show the blueprint for how to win and how to avoid losing (which no one seemed to really try to do.)
A big part of fighting Tony at the UFC level is not allowing him to scramble and not overextending and allowing Tony's gas tank to take over.

That said if he was never mentioned again, his story would make a perfect Shakespearean tragedy.

Very true, Tony ferguson, forever contender. Always the best man, never the groom.

To be fair they tried to give him a couple title fights but injuries happened

And then they kept trying to push the ever so cursed Khabib/Tony fight and eventually brought Covid on all of us. I’m convinced if they try this again an asteroid will hit Earth.

The irony
That's not irony.
But in any case Ferguson came to the UFC the via TUF. That almost guarantees a slow simmer to the top.
Chandler came as an experienced former champ. Silva was the same. 1 win over Leben and got the shot against Ace.

Chandler is really growing on me, he's legit, he talks well, a great fighter, does everything right, you can say he may be a little cocky but not deluded, arrogant cocky like many others. Time will tell but it's his chance to win this saturday.

Tony did get a title shot, he got multiple, but him and Khabib got injured. Chandler was just in the right place, at the right time.

If you look at overall career then I don't think theres much wrong with Chandler getting a title match, espeically as Dustin is choosing to fight Conor again because the payday is larger.

Blame Conor partially. He fucked up Tony and Khabib's time at the top. There's a power vacuum now though and the landscape is different along with Poirier declining to be champ.

But to be fair, he got an interim title but got injured which killed his true title shot.

Remember when Brock lost to Mir in his ufc debut, then beat Heath Herring, and got a title shot next?

I am actually surprised that the UFC is pushing an ex Bellator fighter so fast towards it's own championship. I expect he will be the new LW champion after Saturday's fight. I hope he wins, because I would rather see Chandler fight Gaethje than I would Oliviera. More exciting fight in my opinion.:cool:

A story of timing good / bad, bad luck / good luck, good decisions / bad decisions. Chandler came in at the perfect time and didn't have to go through the gauntlet for a title shot. Dustin supposed to be in that fight but elects to go the other direction so boom Chandler slides right into the title fight.

Tony on the other hand that title shot right at his door and one thing after another allowed it to escape. As fans we all were excited for the fight against Gaetjhe but knew it was risky for him to take. He probably should've waited for Khabib even that aside all things prior to that with him and stuff within the division just didn't play out in the best way for him.

Damn shame.

Actually unbelievable.

Man left his prime without a title shot.

What a damn joke.

I am guessing, because he is a nice douche.

Tony is an asshole and weird douche.

And what kind of douche would you describe Conor McGregor as asshole or nice..?

Back