Chandler 1 win 1 title fight, Ferguson 12 wins streak 0 title fight

Why do people seem to forgot the fact that the UFC signed him as a backup for the Khabib/Gaethje fight?
I think,
they put him as a backup because they knew a-bout Khabib 's miss-waight,
and to promote him,
to have visual material, for video etc!
( not just a backup guy )

Reactions: Gio
Based on how they were promoting Chandler this time last year

giphy.gif

I think,
they put him as a backup because they knew a-bout Khabib 's miss-waight,
and to promote him,
to have visual material, for video etc!
( not just a backup guy )

<mma4>

Tony had his shot, didnt he injured himself backstage?

look he lost a few fights after TUF, he had a few softballs after

the win over Barboza was a bit tainted due to the illegal upkick

at the time, Lightweight was a very stacked division. Guys like Trinaldo, RDA, Jim Miller and James Vick among others had win streaks going

Chandler came in, right place right time

Ferguson has generally been treated poorly by the UFC as are most fighters not named McGregor, but Ferguson was scheduled to fight Khabib three times for the LW belt. Title Fight One cancelled due to Ferguson injury. Title Fight Two cancelled due to Khabib weight cutting problems. Title Fight Three cancelled due to Ferguson injury. So Ferguson did have three title fights lined up, but bad luck struck. Then Ferguson took non title fights and got throttled by Gaethje and Oliveira. They were one sided beat downs and he got finished. So there is very little credibility IMO for Ferguson getting another title shot unless he has a signature win i.e. a win over a top contender and then a title shot might be warranted and fans would be interested in watching and paying $$$ to see if on PPV. Ferguson is old, beat-up and very high mileage. I don't think he gets his Mojo back at this point...this bird has flown...

People never mention Tony had 2 interim title shots, pulled out of undisputed title fight and turned down another interim title shot that ended up being the big opportunity Dustin needed.

Ferguson has generally been treated poorly by the UFC as are most fighters not named McGregor, but Ferguson was scheduled to fight Khabib three times for the LW belt. Title Fight One cancelled due to Ferguson injury. Title Fight Two cancelled due to Khabib weight cutting problems. Title Fight Three cancelled due to Ferguson injury. So Ferguson did have three title fights lined up, but bad luck struck. Then Ferguson took non title fights and got throttled by Gaethje and Oliveira. They were one sided beat downs and he got finished. So there is very little credibility IMO for Ferguson getting another title shot unless he has a signature win i.e. a win over a top contender and then a title shot might be warranted and fans would be interested in watching and paying $$$ to see if on PPV. Ferguson is old, beat-up and very high mileage. I don't think he gets his Mojo back at this point...this bird has flown...
<36>

Treated poorly??? He's received at leat one title shot and a couple of interim title shots, AND he was making six figures PER fight for years. Those points alone put him in the top 1% of best treated fighters in the UFC.

Tony had two chances at the title and he blew it. One was not really his fault,everyone can trip on anything, the other one was just him taking a bad decision.

Full disclosure: Never been a Tony fan; because I don't care for the way that he chooses to fight just hoping to out tough his opponents.

Didn't really care either way until his Lando Vannata that seemed to show the blueprint for how to win and how to avoid losing (which no one seemed to really try to do.)
A big part of fighting Tony at the UFC level is not allowing him to scramble and not overextending and allowing Tony's gas tank to take over.

That said if he was never mentioned again, his story would make a perfect Shakespearean tragedy.

Tony Ferguson had so many times to fight for the belt against Khabib. It just not meant to be. That's life sometimes.

The irony

I get what you're saying TS, but a better example is Chandler's opponent this Saturday Night.

As people mentioned, Tony had title shots, but the fights did not come to fruition.

8JUKdRk.png

Back