Chances of violence this election season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NelmarksGhost

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say this is the most divisive presidential election since 1968. No candidates have been shot yet, but the rhetoric is off the charts. It seems daily there are arrests at Trump rallies. With gun rights, and the supreme court majority on the table tensions are quite high. With this level of hostility so early in the race it makes me worry about what will happen at the conventions during the hot months ahead.

The split in the GOP somewhat mirrors that of the DNC in 68. Race again is a major issue as is poverty, and the potential for more war. There is also a generational divide as there was in 68. The millenials are the first generation with the numbers to match those of the baby-boomers who came of age in the 60's.

I'm not trying to be alarmist, but it looks like there are going to be violent clashes on the streets before this is over. And maybe afterward. Likely not 60's level clashes, but the biggest disturbances since then.

I don't think this is due to the election, but that the election is reflecting the electorate.

History will look back at the 2008 global financial crisis, as the catalyst.

I don't think this is due to the election, but that the election is reflecting the electorate.

History will look back at the 2008 global financial crisis, as the catalyst.

Still bush. Cant be obama

I'm going to stand by my assertion that this is the most divisive election since 68 until someone can point to a counterexample.

None since then has had a higher potential for violence. You would have to be naive not to see this.

Still bush. Cant be obama

Sounds like left vs right, media propaganda, either way you argue it to me.

I argue that they are both failures on regulating the banks, and ensuring the long term viability of our economy.

I'm going to stand by my assertion that this is the most divisive election since 68 until someone can point to a counterexample.

None since then has had a higher potential for violence. You would have to be naive not to see this.

My problem is, with why you think this is occurring. You seem to be arguing that the election is driving this division.

The people in this country, almost burnt the country to the ground in the summer of 67. There were riots all across the country. The election was a result of the electorate. Not vice versa.

It seems on par with the last 4. This one has been more entertaining though.

Thanks, Drumpf. Fuck, I hope I don't have to get used to saying that.

Yeah, I hadn't thought in terms of violence, but there's definitely tension. What we're missing is the wider social awareness and the protest- we're "diet angry" in this country. The unrest that people are pointing to as a sign that things are out of control is honestly nothing like what I believe the conditions of the late 60's were. I think if things do go crazy, we'll have a long ramp up and see it coming.

lol it's not even a close comparison of the 60s to now. late 60s we had riots over the draft, racial inequality, war in vietnam, the cold war. when soldiers are dying by the thousands in vietnam and were forced to go, yea, that causes a lot of riots.

you won't see any of that with the presidential election. the media makes everything look like we are in a state of chaos, and people for the most part are just living their lives.

if trump or clinton wins you may see some trouble makers doing something stupid. maybe more rednecks holding a government building hostage or some college riots. but it'll dissipate and people will go back to their iPhones and reading tweets from kanye.

lol it's not even a close comparison of the 60s to now. late 60s we had riots over the draft, racial inequality, war in vietnam, the cold war. when soldiers are dying by the thousands in vietnam and were forced to go, yea, that causes a lot of riots.

you won't see any of that with the presidential election. the media makes everything look like we are in a state of chaos, and people for the most part are just living their lives.

if trump or clinton wins you may see some trouble makers doing something stupid. maybe more rednecks holding a government building hostage or some college riots. but it'll dissipate and people will go back to their iPhones and reading tweets from kanye.

I didn't say it's 60's level, or will be. I was explicit about that. But, since 68 this is the most divisive election, and has the most potential for violence.

My problem is, with why you think this is occurring. You seem to be arguing that the election is driving this division.

The people in this country, almost burnt the country to the ground in the summer of 67. There were riots all across the country. The election was a result of the electorate. Not vice versa.

I never said that the election is the cause. It's pretty obvious underlying tensions have been there for some time, and are just coming to a head because of the possibilities an election represents.

I never said that the election is the cause. It's pretty obvious underlying tensions have been there for some time, and are just coming to a head because of the possibilities an election represents.

Thank you for the clarification.

Hilldog is going to be our next president, whether you like it or not. Most of the establishment knows this. If anything.. the Don is rolling out the red carpet for her faster than any other candidate could.

100% chance if Trump is the nominee. And it won't be Trump supporters who start it.

Face-to-face confrontation already picking up

Last edited:
Potential violence in the streets you say?

[popcorn intensifies]

THis is just my opinion but it seems like a lot of right wingers just sit around and think about/ wish for the most jacked up political scenarios to happen. Fema camps, un take overs , door to door disarmament , obama is going to be a dictator all that " patriot" government shit.

Come on dudes. Lets cool it a bit

It seems on par with the last 4. This one has been more entertaining though.

Thanks, Drumpf. Fuck, I hope I don't have to get used to saying that.

Thank Hillary and Bernie for bowing down to the violent thugs at Black Lies Matters. They're the ones pushing a racist agenda and attacking people that disagree.

THis is just my opinion but it seems like a lot of right wingers just sit around and think about/ wish for the most jacked up political scenarios to happen. Fema camps, un take overs , door to door disarmament , obama is going to be a dictator all that " patriot" government shit.

Come on dudes. Lets cool it a bit

TS is a leftist.

100% chance if Trump is the nominee. And it won't be Trump supporters who start it.

Face-to-face confrontation already picking up

I think it will be coming from all sides. Trump supporters won't be so happy when the GOP doesn't respond the way they want, and the Clinton machine kicks into assault mode. They'll start claiming there's a massive conspiracy to stop the will of the American people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back