Champs picking there matchuo

Usually fighters should be and are given a say so in who they fight. A fighter can turn down any fight.

As a champ however you should fight the guy they put in front of you.

So if you are the best fighter in your division you should have "less" rights?
Personally I prefer where the 2 top contenders have to fight each other to "earn" a title fight.

I don't have a problem with established multiple defense champions having input on who they fight, but the UFC should have the final call.

Well he did. Or at least his management team did. It's documented that they turned down the fight with Weidman when it was first offered to Anderson Silva. Ultimately Anderson had done enough for the UFC where that wasn't made a big deal. Same reason why GSP passing on Hendricks to fight Nick Diaz wasn't a big deal.

Well,to be fair nobody even knew Weidman's name and he was coming of a win over the great Munoz with barely 9 fights in his entire career.

At 40 being the p4p number 1,you'd think the guy wants better fights than someone like Weidman at the time.But just like Serra and TJ that exact "easy" guy was his downfall.

Now,Jones vs Gus is another thing.Gus won the first fight and that's why Jones doesn't want to rematchn him.

well he learned with the best, anderson silva, always wanting the easiest matchups

The champs should fight whoever the UFC puts in front of them

If rankings mattered this wouldnt be the case. However they don't, and shit like this and Anderson avoiding Weidman until Chris had a surgery happens.

Wow.

Jones is begging to fight an injured DC right now.

At least Anderson wanted a healthy Weidman and was willing to wait for him to have surgery.

(Not to mention stepping in on short notice to save a card while Weidman healed, pretty much the EXACT opposite of Jones initially ducking Sonnen and causing a card to be canceled)

I think the "ducking" thing is over used. I am sure there are instances where this really occurred - start a separate thread before you start listing them - but the UFC champs have pretty much fought whoever was given to them.

How many title fights have been made where you think somebody was "ducked" instead of the champ being told "this will make us both more money so say you asked for it and we will make it worth your while"?

A fighter may have been passed over, but who has missed their deserved chance, other than Fitch? UFC knew GSP/Fitch 2 would be a hard sell even though he was most deserving but I don't think GSP picked Hardy because he was ducking Fitch, or Jones saying no to a short notice fight or Silva with Weidman. Weidman got his shot when the timing for the UFC was best, not best for Silva.

My opinion for the TS question, if there are legitimate choices the UFC will pick whoever makes the most money for them. There have been a ton of threads about how to decide the #1 contender or ranking methods and I still like the pyramid structure, which I wrote about in: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?p=87989163#post87989163
but it all comes down to $$$.

If rankings mattered this wouldnt be the case. However they don't, and shit like this and Anderson avoiding Weidman until Chris had a surgery happens.

This sport will one day become just like boxing, where champs like Pac and PBF never fight, etc.

I also think this unfortunately

GSP cherry picked a fight against Diaz even though Diaz was coming off a loss and 1year drug suspension; on top of that it was over Hendricks who was the most obvious #1 contender ever.

Jones should do the same.

I also think this unfortunately

Except boxing does superfights unlike the UFC.

Alvarez vs. Mayweather was a super fight between 2 champions from different weight classes.

When's the last time a UFC champ fought another champion?

Except boxing does superfights unlike the UFC.

Alvarez vs. Mayweather was a super fight between 2 champions from different weight classes.

When's the last time a UFC champ fought another champion?

that was a superfight?

So if you are the best fighter in your division you should have "less" rights?
Personally I prefer where the 2 top contenders have to fight each other to "earn" a title fight.

1. Being at the top one almost always has less rights and more responsibility. A business owner and a parent both have much less freedom than those under them.

2. It would be great if Gus and Cormier fought to earn the right to fight Jones. It would be a great fight on its own merit, and it would make Jones next title defense that much bigger. The problem is who Jones would fight next. Even with the bloated UFC bloated roster, there just are not that many top level MMA fighters.

"very heated"

seriously?

Yeah, but most debates are heated we work in a kitchen, staying in front off a 700 degree grill all night makes it very easy to blow shit out of proportion. We were in a shouting match

I was really hoping that "there matchuo" was going to catch on.

Why do you insist on making yourself look like a joke?

If anything, shit like GSP avoiding Hendricks after his 3rd top 10 win for a fighter coming out of retirement and off of a loss is disgusting.

Actually Anderson, Jones and GSP all did the same thing - put off the number one challenger for a fight to get a big money fight. Its not a big deal; Hendricks, Weidman and (if he ever becomes champ) Gus will do the same. You're only champ for a few years, it makes sense to try to maximize your money.

It only becomes a problem if the champ never agrees to fight the top contender, and so far that hasn't happened. Anderson did fight Wiedman, GSP did fight Hendricks, and Jones will fight Gus.

Back