1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Champs and Stars - UFC should have followed PRIDE - Conor, GSP, Usman, Diaz Bros, CM Punk & others

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by legatoblues, Aug 3, 2021.

1. legatoblues Purple Belt

PRIDE knew how to strike the balance between putting on the best fights vs putting on the most entertaining ones. For some reason the UFC can't shake their inability to reconcile their brand of "The Best" against the fact that fans pay for entertainment. Why don't the realise they can have both?

Conor leaving to box Floyd should have been the end of treating him like any other contender. At that point his stardom had transcended the UFC itself and they should have played to that. Other superstars like GSP, the Diaz bros - even CM Punk should have been handled completely differently.

They can also learn from PRIDE for top level fighters without the popularity - such as Kamaru Usman.

Leave the belts at home and put on fights for the sake of fights!
    None of these fights need a "championship" to sell and it's a travesty that some (most?) of these will never happen
    Conor v Nate 3
    Conor v Nick
    Conor v Masvidal
    Conor v GSP
    GSP v Anderson - it's a crime this didn't happen, even after GSP's retirement / return.
    GSP v Nick 2
    Nick v Masvidal
    Israel vs Jones - they both wanted it, how on earth do you let this fight fall through. It didn't need a belt!
    Usman v Mike Perry
    Usman v Michel Periera - These last two, look back at how PRIDE did it. Non-title fights against wild journeymen = how to successfully build a star
    PROPER farewell fights for Vitor, Anderson, Big Nog, Overeem etc.
    CM Punk vs another pro wrestler
    CM Punk vs an amateur wrestler
    CM Punk vs a boxer

(Note: this thread is about stars that aren't champs and champs that aren't stars - Champs like Khabib and others coming up through the normal process don't apply here).

skaleton likes this.
  2. Clementine Hug Connoisseur

[​IMG]

COBRA03 likes this.
  3. Hellowhosthat Steel Belt

Who the fuck wants to see CM Punk against a boxer? That would be horrific.

4. sampuncher Red Belt

If the UFC followed Pride they'd be extinct aswell.

I'd say the UFC does mix sport/entertainment pretty well. They had Conor fighting Cowboy, Nate rematch, Dustin rematch, that's their biggest start not tied up in title fights and just fights people wanted to see. Masvidal is on a 2 fight streak, I imagine they'll be giving him some fun fights now, we just had Nate vs Leon aswell.

How long have they done purely "the best" guys only fighting "the best"? We just had the LHW champ vs the MW champ pretty recently.

Usman just defended against Masvidal in an unnecessary rematch. Done purely for entertainment/PPV, definitely wasn't the best ranked vs best ranked. If you personally want to see Usman vs Perry or Pereira, they need to be able to get respectable streaks together, you can't throw away your whole ranking system that you've spent years developing to do Mike Perry vs Usman.

Just because you wanna see Perry/Pereira vs Usman doesn't mean it makes any sense at all when there's 15 more deserving guys above them.

Israel vs Jones, Izzy went up, Jon went up, at no point did either of them agree to fight or ask for a contract for a fight. Jones said he was focusing on HW.

GSP/Anderson, again, don't think you can blame the UFC for that when GSP was always a bit resistant to it.

CM Punk? No-one really wanted to see him fight in the first place, If CM Punk wanted to fight another pro wrestler he could just stick to pro wrestling.

It's not a travesty or the UFC fault that those fights won't happen, it's because you've picked a fair share of retired fighters in GSP, CM Punk, Anderson, it's not the UFC's fault they retired, it's just bad timing they weren't in their primes at the same time as other guys but that's just sport.

COBRA03 likes this.
  5. legatoblues Purple Belt

I don't necessarily want to see Usman vs Perry, Periera as such, I'm more commenting on ways you can think outside the box to build a star. Usman isn't popular with the fans and is about to have another rematch which will likely soon be followed by another (Burns) because he's ground the division to a halt - as every champ should aim to do. But when that happens, non-title fights against opponents based purely on entertainment become a way forward.

CM Punk comment - anything at all would have been a better option and yes I agree with you in that no one wanted to see him fight. That's my point....no one wanted to see him fight like that, so do something different. The pro-wrestler vs pro-wrestler fights in Japan were huge....why wouldn't you do that here? Same for poaching combat sports stars from other disciplines.

With regards to you talking about everyone being retired, I'm talking more in a general sense of how I feel the UFC should have booked those fighters, not what they should do right now today. Putting a belt to everything takes options away and I don't think that's a good thing. Fights like Izzy v Jones, GSP v Silva etc should have all been possible when you take away the oppressive risk of a title fight and everything that comes with it.

6. Tito Tapped Peanut the Kidnapper

You need to try watching their full events instead of watching youtube highlights

I'm convinced 99% of you stunting for Pride like this never actually sat and watched it like that

7. legatoblues Purple Belt

If by full events you mean the full show start to finish on fightpass? Yeah...done that for every event of theirs. What are you trying to say?

8. Tito Tapped Peanut the Kidnapper

Sure my guy you watched all 11,000 minutes of Pride on fightpass

You're either a liar or the most boring MMA supernerd out there

9. legatoblues Purple Belt

It's the second. Did the same for the UFC from prior to when I started watching, as well as a good chunk of WEC and Strikeforce.

Mind you we're talking over the span of maybe 5-6 years here. Why is that so hard to believe?

And how can you call people out for not watching something and then in the next breath say that they couldn't have? Guessing that means you haven't watched it in that way yourself. Nice joke of an argument.

10. Tito Tapped Peanut the Kidnapper

It's hard to believe because Pride and its production was immensely boring and the one-sided fights were not exciting.

I know this because I sat through it so you can fuck right off for implying I didn't.

ITsallinthegifs likes this.
  11. legatoblues Purple Belt

Suggesting that you can do something that no one else can isn't a good way to frame and argument.

And you're really going to try and claim something subjective as an objective truth? Good luck.

12. Poser Caust Brown Belt

I did the same thing he did. Years before fight pass. I found a torrent of every single pride event. Not sure how you found it boring. I did the same with pretty much every organization that had an abundance of online material.

13. Rizz Purple Belt

The UFC are dumb. They got gifted the best thing possible. The BMF belt where you can make a division of exciting draws who only fight each other and everyone makes a ton of money. The fact that they want to put them against the real best in the world only messes things up for them. The way they handled that BMF belt is promotional malpractice.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    legatoblues and wwkirk like this.
  14. legatoblues Purple Belt

Absolutely. This is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. After Masvidal beat Nate they should have been pulling out all the stops to book Masvidal v Nick.

We know the UFC presents itself to be as far removed from JMMA and pro wrestling as possible, but sometimes it really is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The UFC doesn't know what to do with stars, because according to the UFC the UFC brand itself is more important than the fighters.

15. Tito Tapped Peanut the Kidnapper

That's fair. Even watching them live, I found most of the events to be overly long and overproduced. At least on the event DVD's you got the weird-ass Bas and Quadros skits that were sometimes funny. Typical Pride card has 1 actual fight, 2 huge mismatches, and a ton of guys gassing out in that opening 10 minute round. I still contend today's average tiktok MMA fan isn't sitting through that shit as we did.