Championship fights on every card and an all Champ fight card

all championship card would be extremely tough, near impossible.

If a lot of investment with marking the event, e.g. An "MMA Wrestlemania", was put into play, than fighters would be trying very hard to stay healthy and fight because of.... a bigger payoff. Both from the company and the sponsers.

But you're probably right, it would be damn near impossible with everyone dropping like flies lately.

If a lot of investment with marking the event, e.g. An "MMA Wrestlemania", was put into play, than fighters would be trying very hard to stay healthy and fight because of.... a bigger payoff. Both from the company and the sponsers.

But you're probably right, it would be damn near impossible with everyone dropping like flies lately.

Going along with this, most if not all of the champs get PPV bonuses and a legendary event like that would draw record numbers, meaning record pay days for the fighters. Think of how excited all the fighters were who got to be on UFC 100 as they knew it was a big event and sure to draw big numbers so they'd get more money from sponsors and such. I could see some big name sponsors opening up to MMA expansion if the UFC had a really big yearly event like an all championship card. Like I said, you don't even need every champ on the card, but I think the fighters would try and stay healthy to be a part of it and get that massive pay day. Didn't GSP say he makes like 5 million a fight or something? He'd get far more than that for a card like this

Well there was 14 title fights this year by my count and that's with GSP being injured, Cruz being injured, Aldo being injured, Silva jumping weight classes, Jones only fighting twice when he likes fighting 3-4 times a year and getting injured, the flyweight division only having its first title fight this year and being delayed by McCall/Johnson, Condit not defending his interim belt, and Barao not defending his interim belt. If all this hadn't occurred, say GSP defended his belt twice like he normally does, Cruz defended his belt 2-3 times like he normally does, Aldo defended his belt three times like he was supposed to this year, Silva twice, Jones 3, flyweight let's say 2-3 times at the rate Demetrious fights, that makes 24 title fights in one year and that doesn't include Ronda defending her belt or Condit and Barao defending their titles as in that alternate reality they'd never get an interim belt as the champs were healthy. So say Ronda defends her belt twice in a year like she fought last year that makes 26 title fights I believe

You don't need every champ defending their belt twice in a year when others defend more frequently

You answered your own question. Even with all the champs the UFC has, they still could only pull off 14 title fights this year. The logistics involved isn't simply having a contender on the shelf and two healthy fighters. Three to six more champ fights would about be what this year should have been and that sounds about right. Close to 18, two fights a year, on average, is what it will be. anything else and you are not only running through contenders ( I mean if you think Andy spends lots of time at 205 now, wait till he fights 3 times year, or any champ for that matter) and once the division is cleaned out then champs v champs gets worn out quick and pretty soon you have two and three time challengers back in the mix. Whoop dee do, GSP has three fights a year, but within 4 years thats 12 challengers, who are they?

I would love to see something like this, but it would create a dearth of championship fights on the cards preceding and following it. Also, no champion is going to want to fight on the under card.

Going along with this, most if not all of the champs get PPV bonuses and a legendary event like that would draw record numbers, meaning record pay days for the fighters. Think of how excited all the fighters were who got to be on UFC 100 as they knew it was a big event and sure to draw big numbers so they'd get more money from sponsors and such. I could see some big name sponsors opening up to MMA expansion if the UFC had a really big yearly event like an all championship card. Like I said, you don't even need every champ on the card, but I think the fighters would try and stay healthy to be a part of it and get that massive pay day. Didn't GSP say he makes like 5 million a fight or something? He'd get far more than that for a card like this

It's not like the UFc doesn't want to have some big card or something; at the moment, with all the obligations they have to fulfill, they need to test the waters on several fighters for headlining and being future stars. They can't rely on a stacked PPV or two a year anymore, because that's only 2 out of 35 events and they can't sustain the company putting all their eggs in that one basket. you stack a card with fighters who could be on three cards and draw 500K each time, or put them all on one and draw 1 mill maybe.

You answered your own question. Even with all the champs the UFC has, they still could only pull off 14 title fights this year. The logistics involved isn't simply having a contender on the shelf and two healthy fighters. Three to six more champ fights would about be what this year should have been and that sounds about right. Close to 18, two fights a year, on average, is what it will be. anything else and you are not only running through contenders ( I mean if you think Andy spends lots of time at 205 now, wait till he fights 3 times year, or any champ for that matter) and once the division is cleaned out then champs v champs gets worn out quick and pretty soon you have two and three time challengers back in the mix. Whoop dee do, GSP has three fights a year, but within 4 years thats 12 challengers, who are they?

I was more saying that in a perfect world, they could put out 26 title fights in a year and had probably planned that before reality changes things. Obviously the chances of this occurring aren't very likely as was shown by this year. You also have to consider that your scenario only works if the champion always wins which isn't the case. Ben was the most active champ this year as he was the newly minted champ and they seem to fight more often as they aren't out of contenders and they need to prove their championship by getting defences in (that's what I feel anyways). Every time there's a new champ, that means there's new title fights to make and therefore the odds of their being more title fights increases. Silva and GSP can afford to only make 1 defence a year, but a new champ can't afford to sit out that long

a good deal of the PPV cards this year have had champ fights
UFC 142 had a FW title defense
143 had a fight for the interim WW title
144 had a LW title defense
145 had a LHW title defense
146 had a HW title defense
147 had no title fights (unless you count the TUF tournament finales)
148 had a MW title defense
149 (shudder) had a fight for the interim BW title
150 had a LW title defense
152 had a LHW title defense AND a flyweight title fight
153 had no title fight, but the current MW champ fought at LHW
154 had a unification of the interim and current WW belts
155 had a HW title defense

that's a lot of title fights

While EVERY card with a title fight is obviously out of the question just because of the logistics of it and the sheer # of cards between PPV, Fox, FX and fuel shows they do, I do think they could easily do a title figth every PPV and Fox card. Last year they had 19 shows between PPV and FOX. If they had a title fight on everyone of those cards each champ would only be fighting 2 fights a year with 1 champ fight a 3rd time. That is very easily done I believe.

BTW this stat is not including interim title fights. So if they were a bit stricter with the interim belt rule it would still be easy even with inevitable injuries to champs.

I believe with 9 Champions they can do a Championship Fight per PPV, and 2 on some. I don't think all 9 can be defended on one, how about 5 of them to fill out a main card. They can do that biannually if they do half on one; other half on the other.

While EVERY card with a title fight is obviously out of the question just because of the logistics of it and the sheer # of cards between PPV, Fox, FX and fuel shows they do, I do think they could easily do a title figth every PPV and Fox card. Last year they had 19 shows between PPV and FOX. If they had a title fight on everyone of those cards each champ would only be fighting 2 fights a year with 1 champ fight a 3rd time. That is very easily done I believe.

BTW this stat is not including interim title fights. So if they were a bit stricter with the interim belt rule it would still be easy even with inevitable injuries to champs.

Ya I did the math and the UFC can put out 26 title fights a year if all the champs stay healthy or in their own weight class and follow their normal schedule of fighting. Instead we got 14 title fights this year. We missed out on half of them

Ya I did the math and the UFC can put out 26 title fights a year if all the champs stay healthy or in their own weight class and follow their normal schedule of fighting. Instead we got 14 title fights this year. We missed out on half of them

Who are the 14 other contenders that would have been matched up with champs this last year? And remember, once you name them you can pretty much strike them off the list to fight for the title again this year.

Who are the 14 other contenders that would have been matched up with champs this last year? And remember, once you name them you can pretty much strike them off the list to fight for the title again this year.

Well in a perfect year, MM would've defended his title this year twice as the tourny should've ended in June so I'd say rematch with Benavidez/McCall and a defence against Dodson, Cruz should've defended against Faber, Barao, and Mcdonald, I included Ronda so she would defend against Carmouche and Cyborg, Aldo should've defended against Koch and Edgar, Ben's fought his normal schedule, GSP should have defended against Nick Diaz, Silva should've defended against Belfort/Bisping/Boetsch any of them would do as he normally fights twice a year, Jones should've defended in December against either Machida or Shogun, JDS fought his normal schedule at 2 fights a year. That makes 12 title fights that would occur in a perfect year that we missed out on and I said they could do 26 in a year with the normal schedules of the fighters and they had 14 this year so 14+12=26

Last edited:
Back