Championship Defense Question

msm1981

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'm curios how many times a year are champions required to defend there belts
since some are only defending one time a year creating back ups in there divisions
because a good example being Jacare Souza who has been a top five fighter
for at least 2 years and no title shot even when he has run off wins in a row.

There are no strict requirements and policy changes from champ to champ based on what's most profitable

They should at least have a clause that they need to defend once a year or be stripped. Shits the Wild West out here.

since some are only defending one time a year creating back ups in there divisions

There is no requirement. UFC does what they want with matchmaking.

Jacare is 4-4 in his last 8 fights, 2-2 over last two years.

you must defeat Chris Camozzi 4 times for a title shot

How are Jacare getting screwed threads still happening? I thought those had mercifully been killed off with his last loss

Its really on a case by case basis. whatever dana and co. decide at the time. too bad a lot of it seems to be based more on emotion than logic or some kind of system.

3 Times a year would be good
2 times a year is acceptable
1 time a year is bad, but you barely avoid being stripped
0 times a year = stripped

That's how I think it should be.

Last edited:

No official policy.

Unofficially it seems like champs have to defend once a year or an interim belt is created regardless of favoritism in which case might be more like 6 months. Interim champs are stripped if they aren't ready for their unification bout.

Champs can get away with a fight a year most years though it seems. Especially if popular.

He's lost 2 of his last 3 (and 3 of his last 5 - including getting TKO'ed by the current champ) and therefore doesn't deserve a titleshot. Only people that sell really well (i.e. Conor), or that the UFC really wants to be champ (i.e. Yoel) can have such a shit record and get a titleshot.

EDIT TO ADD: He's ranked 6th (which is way too high) and has fought 4 of the 5 people ranked higher. He lost all 4 of those fights. He literally doesn't deserve a fight with anyone ranked higher than 8th.

His best career win was against Mousasi (who he lost to in 2008) and that was 5 years ago!

Absolutely right. He's a great fighter but way overrated. Beating Weidman recently doesn't mean much.

He's lost 2 of his last 3 (and 3 of his last 5 - including getting TKO'ed by the current champ) and therefore doesn't deserve a titleshot. Only people that sell really well (i.e. Conor), or that the UFC really wants to be champ (i.e. Yoel) can have such a shit record and get a titleshot.

EDIT TO ADD: He's ranked 6th (which is way too high) and has fought 4 of the 5 people ranked higher. He lost all 4 of those fights. He literally doesn't deserve a fight with anyone ranked higher than 8th.

His best career win was against Mousasi (who he lost to in 2008) and that was 5 years ago!

Yoel ? He has 2 losses in the UFC, and only 1 before his last loss. How can he have a shit record ?

I agree with the guy who said at least once a year. With being champ, new responsibilities must come.

Cormier last defended the Heavyweight title 6 months and 20 days ago, and will next fight at UFC 241 (9 months, 15 days between title defenses).
Jones last defended the Light Heavyweight title 2 months and 21 days ago, and will next fight at UFC 239 (4 month, 5 days between title defenses).
Whittaker last fought at Middleweight 11 months and 14 days ago, and wants to fight next in August (14 months between fights).
Usman won the Welterweight title 2 months and 21 days ago, and wants to fight next at the end of the year, possibly November/December (9-10 months before first title defense).
Nurmagomedov last defended the Lightweight title 7 months and 17 days ago, and wants to fight at UFC 242 (11 months, 2 days between title defenses).
Holloway last defended the Featherweight title 5 months and 15 days ago, and will next fight at UFC 240 (7 months, 20 days between title defenses).
Dillashaw vacated the Bantamweight title 2 months and 3 days ago; Cejudo and Moraes will fight for the vacant title at UFC 238 (2 months, 20 days between title fights).

The only champion exceeding one year between fights is Whittaker and that's due to injury.

As for Souza, he lost against Romero in 2015, won against old Belfort and Boetsch, then lost against Whittaker, and hasn't had a win streak since. If he hadn't lost against Whittaker he would've been fighting for the title instead of Whittaker, so that's on Souza, not the UFC.

The rules are made up as they go depending on the fighter by this bald headed fuck

<31>

Cormier last defended the Heavyweight title 6 months and 20 days ago, and will next fight at UFC 241 (9 months, 15 days between title defenses).
Jones last defended the Light Heavyweight title 2 months and 21 days ago, and will next fight at UFC 239 (4 month, 5 days between title defenses).
Whittaker last fought at Middleweight 11 months and 14 days ago, and wants to fight next in August (14 months between fights).
Usman won the Welterweight title 2 months and 21 days ago, and wants to fight next at the end of the year, possibly November/December (9-10 months before first title defense).
Nurmagomedov last defended the Lightweight title 7 months and 17 days ago, and wants to fight at UFC 242 (11 months, 2 days between title defenses).
Holloway last defended the Featherweight title 5 months and 15 days ago, and will next fight at UFC 240 (7 months, 20 days between title defenses).
Dillashaw vacated the Bantamweight title 2 months and 3 days ago; Cejudo and Moraes will fight for the vacant title at UFC 238 (2 months, 20 days between title fights).

The only champion exceeding one year between fights is Whittaker and that's due to injury.

As for Souza, he lost against Romero in 2015, won against old Belfort and Boetsch, then lost against Whittaker, and hasn't had a win streak since. If he hadn't lost against Whittaker he would've been fighting for the title instead of Whittaker, so that's on Souza, not the UFC.
Great post.

Historically, champs fight about once less per year. Average was 2.5/yr for non champs, 1.5/yr for champs.

Source is something I read years ago. I'll try to find it.

UFC. Where the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

Back