Champions who selected and stalled. Didnt fight anyone?

Oceanmachine

Tidwell belt
Banned
Reaction score
Champs who in your opinion didnt fight the #1 contender or who stalled and selected essier matches. Who sat or managed to hold the belt for a longer than normal time without defending due to excuses of contract or injury

Last edited:
Mcgregor never had any intention on defending after his mega payday so I'm not going to pick him.

Bisping fighting Hendo and GSP stands out.

GDR just outright refusing to fight Cyborg stands out. (Ronda publicly refusing stands out too but Cyborg want under contract with the UFC at the time)

Nicco Montana doing everything she could to hold on to the belt and not fight Val at the same time stands out.

Bisping is the obvious answer here. I love the guy, but man did he hold up the MW division when there was a load of killers at the top who were worthy of getting title shots.

Bisping is the obvious answer here. I love the guy, but man did he hold up the MW division when there was a load of killers at the top who were worthy of getting title shots.

Honestly I can't hate on bisping for that. It was a miracle so late in his career he got there and he was always hurt. Selecting a couple of paydays to go into the sunset was perfect for him at the end of his career.

Conor was much worse. Didn't even defend the belt once!

Honestly I can't hate on bisping for that. It was a miracle so late in his career he got there and he was always hurt. Selecting a couple of paydays to go into the sunset was perfect for him at the end of his career.

Conor was much worse. Didn't even defend the belt once!

I wish Bisping beat GSP and finished Hendo. Oh well he at least got the W against an old Hendo

Also DC wasting a year to try and fight Brock, who hadnt won in a decade.

The Brock idea at least could be excused as taking the UFC at their word that he was going to fight whoever won Miocic v Cormier 1. But DC certainly was tenacious in the pursuit! When it finally looked like Lesnar was finally free of WWE obligations, DC practically ordered Dana to get on the phone to Brock ASAP and get the fight deal done. And when persuaded to defend his title before then — with a big fat deal of the type you "can't refuse" — he pointedly (and quite unneccesarily) said he wouldn't fight Miocic in the same situation, that he wasn't well enough yet to fight Stipe, but Lewis posed less problems so he was good with it.

Also DC wasting a year to try and fight Brock, who hadnt won in a decade.
I'm not down with this. He fought Black Beast on a 4 month turnaround after winning the belt and then had his back fixed. Champs rarely defend that quick. And while HWs get a bad rep, Lewis has the most KOs in UFC HW history, he's no slouch. A potential champ, if Stipe retires.

Back