Chalk alternative?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by HEN, Sep 4, 2010.

1. HEN

HEN White Belt

I work offshore and just moved to another rig and I didnt realise they had a gym onboard so didnt reall bring any of the stuff I usually do. Was dealifting today without any chalk and rtore my hands to pieces. Any suggestions what I can use instead of chalk as I cant just go and buy some! ould always use some working gloves or something if I have to dont really want to.

2. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

What kind of stuff do you have available? Natural Earth? Do you use sawdust for LCM? I imagine gel, bar, and rig soap would all get slicker than snot when they got sweaty. I'm sitting on a land rig right now and I can't think of one thing out here besides sawdust that I would even consider using.

3. HEN

HEN White Belt

Will maybe try some soap or see if i can maybe find some blackboard chalk. Any other suggestions are welcome

4. Gierrod

Gierrod Blue Belt

Chalk wont really stop your hands from getting shreaded up it will just makes your grip stronger also how sharp is the dam knurling if its tearing your hands up.

5. ExtremeStandard

ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

That sawdust advice sounds smart, sawdust would work great I remember on some job site I worked on I had to clean out the bottom of the saw and my hands were wet from wiping my forehead of sweat and so the sawdust stuck to my hands big time. After that I moved onto having to grab bundles of shingles and those can get heavy after a 10 or 15 hand bombing throws onto the other area and normally my hands get sore and tired from grabbing the sides of the shingles but the sawdust helped to keep the taxing on my hands down. So I believe sawdust works well. Also I've heard of liquid chalk...maybe that might work.

6. HEN

HEN White Belt

The knurling isnt that sharp maybe just losing my grip as im repping 400lbs. Usually get away doing this fine at home with chalk with no obvious damage to my hands. I will see what i can find.

7. Searcher

Searcher Yellow Belt

Put the bar in the right grip for pulling. You might have the bar too close to your wrist.

8. RusViking

RusViking Purple Belt

I was without chalk the other day, so I used some of the 'rough' paper they have at my gym (to wipe up bench etc). That worked surprisingly well. I put it around the bar a few times and made sure to use a tight grip.