Chaimberg said GSP wasn't strong until he started training with him. Article?

Tirofijo2001

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Years ago there was an interview with GSP's strength and conditioning coach Jon Chaimberg who said GSP was decidedly average in strength until he started training with him. I don't remember the details but something like couldn't bench press his bodyweight.

Does anyone remember that article and can help me find it? Google is failing me.

I vaguely recall a video with Jon and GSP where he mentioned he tested weak on pulls. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Just because he was weak on pulls doesn't mean he couldn't toss a guy around like a sack of flour.

Lifting is lifting and grappling is grappling...GSP could probably come back and say JC was weak in grappling.

Just because he was weak on pulls doesn't mean he couldn't toss a guy around like a sack of flour.

Lifting is lifting and grappling is grappling...GSP could probably come back and say JC was weak in grappling.

Really added to the thread there. Beautiful comment.

Cel tec and 8-12 reps for mass dude
cell-tech-גירסת-הדפסה-49023559.png

It's interesting how lifting is so vital for force production in every single sport except fighting. Every other athlete benefits from strength training except fighters.

It's interesting how lifting is so vital for force production in every single sport except fighting. Every other athlete benefits from strength training except fighters.

I don't think many people would seriously contend this. Of course strength training offers a range of benefits for a fighter. Apart from the increase in force production you just mentioned, developing greater strength also helps reduce the risk of injury.

That said, strength training is simply another part of GPP for fighters. And GPP, by definition, must always play second fiddle to the acquisition and practice of Sport-Specific Skills. Not just in fighting but in every other non-strength sport.

Most people, both fighters and strength athletes, understand this. It's only a minority who take it to extremes: either fighters don't need strength training at all, or fighters who can't total elite on the big 3 they aren't going to be able to fight to their maximum potential:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Fighters actually arent that strong lifting wise usually, shit theres been champs who didnt even lift.

But anyway i remember that article

Point was that gsp was a newbie pro fighter who had spent most of his training in skill/technique before pro career (which is the right thing to do)

Then he became a pro and got his physical stuff improved since his technical base was good already

Sports that involve lots of cardio tend to not put a lot of emphasis on lifting, like basketball or soccer. Even some other sports the athletes dont lift as much as people think, I read an article about football and it stated that once those guys get to the pros most of them dont even lift heavy anymore they do other stuff, especially the skill positions

Sports that involve lots of cardio tend to not put a lot of emphasis on lifting, like basketball or soccer. Even some other sports the athletes dont lift as much as people think, I read an article about football and it stated that once those guys get to the pros most of them dont even lift heavy anymore they do other stuff, especially the skill positions

With NFL teams, they almost all do a S&C program with strength training in the off-season. I've had access to several different S&C books for various positions on different teams from a friend in the industry. They generally have low rep hang cleans, squats, presses.

And cardio based sports don't really rely on force production for success. Sprinters benefit but long distance runners wouldn't as much. Basketball players lift weights.

Obviously nobody is suggesting that S&C comes before or is more important than skills training.

There is a podcast with Kestling but I cannot find a workable copy - so what you're looking for may be there.

Back