Chael: "When i watch conors skillset from television, i think its weird"

I'd hate to drive in a car with Chael. He'd probably grabs the wheel and corrects people to drive the way he expects. He's such a member of the peanut gallery when he does his podcast. He speculates to the 12th degree. I guess its a byproduct of being a fan, having to insert your opinion everywhere it doesn't matter. The price of being an athlete.

"His chin is up and his hands are down. Guys thats really bad. If you are an aspiring fighter, do not copy. But there are certain guys that come along over time that do break that rule and go a long way with it"

I have to fully agree with chael here. This has always been baffling to me.

When i watch jose, eddie alvarez, poirier, holloway (etc...) fight, i can clearly see why these guys are highly regarded. You can see perfect technique display and well roundness to their game.

When i watch conor, i just dont see that same technique and skill displayed. Not even the athleticism.
The guy has no high kicks. Not a great TDD. Not the most polished ground game. Pretty much no offensive wrestling. Moves weird and uses a weird stance.

Yet, he has beaten all the guys mentioned.

What is your take sherdog? Discuss conors skillset...

Chael is admittedly terrible at picking fights, but he also sucks at any kind of analysis. He claimed Conor would face serious criminal consequences for the bus incident even though he's white and rich. Before that, he claimed Conor would face serious consequences for jumping in the Bellator cage.

His defense is actually pretty good when he's fresh. He has a nice quick shoulder roll. There's a lot of subtlety to his technique. The only flaw i've really been keen to is his tendency to drop the left after he doubles up. He ate right hand counters from floyd because of that.

From the goat boxer..........

He can get away with shit like that against the amateurish boxing in the ufc

When i watch conor, i just dont see that same technique and skill displayed. Not even the athleticism.
The guy has no high kicks. Not a great TDD. Not the most polished ground game. Pretty much no offensive wrestling. Moves weird and uses a weird stance.

You can’t have watched many of his fights if you haven’t seen him throw high kicks, offensively wrestle or display a decent ground game...

He has the reach of Mirko Cro Cop which allows him to stay on the outside

Main reason why Conor is able to have his hands low is because he typically has a decent reach advantage.

Aldo, Mendes, Eddie, Poirier, Siver, Holloway....

Now look at what happened the first time he faced a guy he didn't have the reach advantage over in years... Diaz.

"His chin is up and his hands are down. Guys thats really bad. If you are an aspiring fighter, do not copy. But there are certain guys that come along over time that do break that rule and go a long way with it"

When i watch jose, eddie alvarez, poirier, holloway (etc...) fight, i can clearly see why these guys are highly regarded. You can see perfect technique display and well roundness to their game.

What is your take sherdog? Discuss conors skillset... and how does he get away with it

Not a clue what you're talking about.

It works because it's different. There are too many cookie cutter fighters these days. It's why guys like Machida will always have success until they get figured out because they are unorthodox.

please post gifs / proof
You could just watch his fight with Holloway from years ago, where you’ll see high kicks, fuck, Conor was known for chucking capoeira style kicks for awhile, offensive wrestling and effective top control. He also got out of a almost perfect gullotine attempt against Diaz and swept him in the second fight. As for effective tdd, how about the Alvarez fight were he posted Eddie to spot him closing the distance.

Seek the video evidence yourself though, bro. It isn’t anyone elses job to inform you when you make stupid claims.

I think you need to read the Op again. I did not criticize his boxing or said the people i mentioned were better than him in that area

My bad buddeh.

You could just watch his fight with Holloway from years ago, where you’ll see high kicks, fuck, Conor was known for chucking capoeira style kicks for awhile, offensive wrestling and effective top control. He also got out of a almost perfect gullotine attempt against Diaz and swept him in the second fight. As for effective tdd, how about the Alvarez fight were he posted Eddie to spot him closing the distance.

Seek the video evidence yourself though, bro. It isn’t anyone elses job to inform you when you make stupid claims.
Its not anyones job, but you put yourself out there, then, when pressed, couldnt provide any reply to the question asked and then told me "look for yourself"

gtfooh.... nice way to backtrack lol

show me a gif of conor landing a capoeira kick ever in a fight in the ufc..... ill be waiting

If he is this great kicker that you say he is "known for", im sure there would be gifed highlights of the moments who gave him this reputation..... :rolleyes:

He’s a southpaw and his timing and accuracy is good and I’d even say great in terms of UFC striking BUT he’s almost always had a huge reach advantage over almost all of his opponents. When he didn’t have a reach advantage and faced another southpaw he looked very average.
Bullshit. The only thing that kept Nate on his feet was his chin, and Conor found it plenty.

As much as I hate the guy, he does have that Anderson Silva control over the Matrix.

Main reason why Conor is able to have his hands low is because he typically has a decent reach advantage.

Aldo, Mendes, Eddie, Poirier, Siver, Holloway....

Now look at what happened the first time he faced a guy he didn't have the reach advantage over in years... Diaz.
He pieced his face up until he gassed and his arms got heavy.

The guy has no high kicks. Not a great TDD. Not the most polished ground game. Pretty much no offensive wrestling. Moves weird and uses a weird stance. Also bad cardio.

What is your take sherdog? Discuss conors skillset... and how does he get away with it. What does he do that allows him to overcome the holes in his game?

IpmKtR2.gif

<{vega}><{vega}><{vega}>

Guys who have a speed advantage can get away with this.

I dont. Most top talents looks "weird".

Ronaldinho for instance.
CR7 and Lebron James are the exception.

Last edited:
Back