Chael was the rightful MW champ (of WEC)

Key word "interim"

Aldo was the champion

That doesn't make a difference. A title fight is a title fight.

A more recent example is Benavidez v. Figueiredo. Benavidez was still eligible to win the title even though Figueiredo missed weight.

That doesn't make a difference. A title fight is a title fight.

A more recent example is Benavidez v. Figueiredo. Benavidez was still eligible to win the title even though Figueiredo missed weight.
Yes it does make a difference. An interim title is a glorified #1 contender, not the champion of the division.

I'm tired of explaining this to everyone, I'll just quote myself.

Every single title fight, that has an actual champion and not fighting for interim or a vacant title, where 1 fighter misses weight is an immediate non title fight.

Examples...
Filho/Sonnen
Silva/Lutter
Whittaker/Romero 2

Fights where fighters are fighting for an interim or vacant title where 1 fighter misses weight, the fighter that made weight is allowed to still win the belt while the other is not.

Examples...
Romero/Rockhold
Figueiredo/Benavidez

Those are facts, not my opinion

Yes it does make a difference. An interim title is a glorified #1 contender, not the champion of the division.

I'm tired of explaining this to everyone, I'll just quote myself.

It does not make a single difference when it comes to who can win the title when their opponent misses weight. Again, Benavidez v. Figueiredo.

Did you read what i just wrote?

None of those guys were champions, they're fighting for a title regardless because there is no champion or the champion is sidelined for an extended period of time.

Filho/Sonnen was non title because there was a champion and a fighter did not make weight, it doesn't matter champion or challenger, the belt is no longer on the line. Had the WEC stuck around, Filho would've been stripped and Sonnen would've likely fought someone for the vacant title.

It's not that hard to comprehend.

That’s great. You really do think your opinion is fact.

It’s obvious and easy to comprehend how Filho vs. Sonnen is different from Silva vs. Lutter and Whitaker vs. Romero. Until you accept that, there is nothing more to discuss.

It does not make a single difference when it comes to who can win the title when their opponent misses weight. Again, Benavidez v. Figueiredo.
Yes it does because in the fight you're referring to, there was no champion, they were fighting for a vacant title.

Quick question, was Silva/Lutter considered a title defense?

That’s great. You really do think your opinion is fact.

It’s obvious and easy to comprehend how Filho vs. Sonnen is different from Silva vs. Lutter and Whitaker vs. Romero. Until you accept that, there is nothing more to discuss.

That's not my opinion, those at facts.

You can sit here and argue all you want, the facts are when the undisputed title is on the line and 1 fighter misses weight, regardless if it's champion or challenger, it's then considered a non title fight. Champion can't claim a title defense and the challenger can't win the title.

Chael shouldn't have been punished for Filho's mistake. By that logic every champion would just purposely miss weight so their title isn't up for grabs.

Yes it does because in the fight you're referring to, there was no champion, they were fighting for a vacant title.

Quick question, was Silva/Lutter considered a title defense?

It was a title fight. Silva/Lutter was not a title fight

It was a title fight. Silva/Lutter was not a title fight
Correct, 2 non champions were fighting for a vacant championship.

And why wasn't Silva/Lutter a title fight?

It does happen now though. I forget which fight it was recently, maybe Yoel, where if the one fighter won he wouldn't be champ bc he missed weight. But I might be getting details mixed up or forgotten

Rockhold was eligible to win the belt because there wasn’t a reigning champion. Yoel was not because he missed weight. With Silva/Lutter the challenger missed weight so the title couldn’t change hands and therefore became a nontitle bout.

there is zero reason Chael shouldn’t have been awarded the title after making weight and defeating Filho.

@Mamou is struggling with this concept.

Rockhold was eligible to win the belt because there wasn’t a reigning champion. Yoel was not because he missed weight. With Silva/Lutter the challenger missed weight so the title couldn’t change hands and therefore became a nontitle bout.

there is zero reason Chael shouldn’t have been awarded the title after making weight and defeating Filho.

@Mamou is struggling with this concept.
Nah, I've explained multiple times why Sonnen could not win the title. Champion or challenger, doesn't matter who misses weight, it's no longer a title fight.

It is no longer a MW fight if one misses weight... it's not that hard to understand.

Chael knew he could not win the title after Filho missed weight. It's the exact same when the challenger misses weight, it's no longer a title defense because it's no longer a fight at the contracted weight.
You are stating the obvious but apparently what we are saying is too hard for you to understand. Even in my response to you, I made it clear I understood the rule. We ALL know that but what we are saying is that it shouldn't be that way and Chael Sonnen should've been the champion. If the champion misses weight and the fight is still on, as it was, and the challenger wins, he should be the rightful champ because the title is no longer the champions. Not sure why it's so difficult.

Nah, I've explained multiple times why Sonnen could not win the title. Champion or challenger, doesn't matter who misses weight, it's no longer a title fight.

why was Rockhold eligible to be champion against Yoel?

It was handled correctly...

You keep saying interim titles aren't the same but they are held to the exact same standards. You have to make the exact weight, there isn't a 1 pound allowance. They are all 5 round fights. The winner gets the "interim" title and now gets a piece of the PPV pie.

You keep stating the same thing as if it were factual but there hasn't been a champion who had missed weight yet. Even Paulo Filho knows Chael should be the champion and did the right thing by giving Chael the belt. Anyhow, argue all you want, there's a reason why you're the lone dissenter.

Correct, 2 non champions were fighting for a vacant championship.

And why wasn't Silva/Lutter a title fight?

Because Silva already held the belt and Lutter couldn't win it. There was nothing on the line. Nothing to defend.

I'm not sure why you're arguing this. It doesn't matter whether a title is interim or not. If a Challenger makes weight they are supposed to be eligible to win the title. This is precedence.

In Invicta, Frey the sitting atomweight champion missed weight and Cummins made weight. Only Cummins was eligible to win the title. In Bellator, Halsey the sitting middleweight champion missed weight and Grove made made weight. Only Grove was eligible to win the title.

Back