Chael was the rightful MW champ (of WEC)

In the UFC when there was no champion and they were fighting for an interim title. Figueiredo/Benavidez or Romero/Rockhold ring any bells?

Anderson/Lutter and Whittaker/Romero were non title fights, why?
The IC examples you mentioned, Rockhold was eligible to win the IC, and I believe Joey B was also eligible to win the title.

Anderson v Lutter & Whittaker v Romero 2 were examples of the CHALLENGER being ineligible to win the title due to missing weight. If the Champion misses, they should still be eligible to lose the title, and forced to vacate if they win.

The IC examples you mentioned, Rockhold was eligible to win the IC, and I believe Joey B was also eligible to win the title.

Anderson v Lutter & Whittaker v Romero 2 were examples of the CHALLENGER being ineligible to win the title due to missing weight. If the Champion misses, they should still be eligible to lose the title, and forced to vacate if they win.
Yes, if you read the previous comment, you'd see why I brought those 2 fights up. The UFC made up their own rules for IC and vacant title fights.

And no, it is a non title fight regardless of who misses weight in an actual title fight.

It's a non title fight regardless of your opinion. If both fighters do not make weight, it is no longer a fight in that division.

Could they have stripped Filho, sure, but Sonnen winning the belt was never happening in that fight.

Totally missed my point.

I still can't fathom how he wasn't given that title in the second Filho fight. Filho missed weight and should therefore not have been eligible to win the title (vacate it if he won.)

Chael should have been the WEC champ.
That fight should never have happened. Filho was messed up with drug problems, and had no business being in the cage, at all.

No argument here...

In boxing, if a champ doesn’t make weight he loses the belt at the scales...

If the challenger wins, he becomes the new champ. If he loses, the title is vacant.

Filho should have been stripped. So fucking stupid that you can avoid losing a title by missing weight. The only time a title fight should be off is if the challenger misses weight.

I think he’s making the argument as why Chael was punished when Paulo was the one that missed weight? It should’ve been for the vacant title where if Chael won, he becomes the new champ.
These situations are tricky and not exactly fair to the fighter that showed up and made weight.

When Aldo did not show up to fight Conor the first time, Conor had to fight dangerous steroid cream Mendes for a fake belt. It was not fair to Conor but what can you do? The opponent not making weight is a similar scenario where both fighters have to make weight.

It was no longer a MW fight, how can you win a title if the fight is no longer in said division?

It should have been a Romero/Rockhold situation where the title was available for the fighter that made weight if he was victorious.

I still can't fathom how he wasn't given that title in the second Filho fight. Filho missed weight and should therefore not have been eligible to win the title (vacate it if he won.)

Agree and following NYSAC's logic from the more modern precedent from the Khabib v Big Al fight he'd the champ. But WEC wasn't a major organization above 145. Only reason his belt would have mattered is cause he was fighting the promotions only P4P relevant champ at the time. That was how he got his second stint in the UFC.

Think everyone would be okay if he was given the title of WEC MW champion retrospectively because that's what he was. Then again Chael is the guy who opposes them overturning the Jones v Hamill result(he believes it was wrong but doesn't want it overturned) and who doesn't think SAC's should right the wrongs of the past.

You're saying this as if being the MW champion of WEC was in some way important. It was only the BW, FW and (with hindsight) the LW belts that meant anything.

Because it wasn't a MW title fight after Filho missed weight, didn't think it was that hard to comprehend.
That happens a lot and the title is still on the line for one guy, though. Chael should've been given the belt.

What happened to Filho anyways? You wonts just go insane one day for no reason

It should have been a Romero/Rockhold situation where the title was available for the fighter that made weight if he was victorious.
Neither of those fighters were the champion. The UFC made the rules on that.

In a title fight, both fighters have to make weight or it's a non title fight, regardless of who missed weight.

That happens a lot and the title is still on the line for one guy, though. Chael should've been given the belt.
No, that happens in the UFC for interim or vacant title fights, it never happens for a title fight where there's already a champion.

The story was that Filho was suppose to hand over the belt to Chael in the locker room. This didn't happen but Filhos team did say they were going to send the belt to Sonnen. This was the last title fight under the MW division in WEC before UFC took em over. Don't know if Filho ever sent the belt.
He did send the belt. Chapel said it was a very respectful thing for them to do.

Reactions: JKS
It was no longer a MW fight, how can you win a title if the fight is no longer in said division?

Why not?

Only the person missing weight has the advantage. At that point you're arguing semantic which are almost entirely illogical and irrational. I think we can all be reasonable human beings and say hey...if the champion misses weight by 1-2 pounds hypothetically, the challenger who made weight should still be able to fight for the belt.

Because it wasn't a MW title fight after Filho missed weight, didn't think it was that hard to comprehend.
The champ missed weight meaning he has a weight advantage. If the challenger defeats him, the challenger should be the rightful champ. If the challenger loses, the champion is stripped of the title. It's not that hard to follow. Why penalize the guy who made weight and won the fight?

But we have stupid, archaic rules in place that make absolutely no sense.

Probably.

But that was (I think) the first time it had ever happened in a big org, and they were making it up as they went along.

Since then, the rule has evolved to do exactly what you say.

So if it makes you feel better about the MMA world in general by proclaiming that the evolved rule should be applied retroactively and Chael should be called a former champ, then I won't argue with you.

Then again....Fihlo should not have been allowed to fight. He was talking to people who weren't there, for fucksake, and would have failed every opioid test given. Therefore Chael was never champ, because he never should have fought that fight in the first place...when I use the same retroactive process you just used.

Hmmmmm. What's a fan to do?!?

So the real question is, are we using the time machine from Looper, from Terminator, or from Back To The Future? Because the answer is probably different depending on which hypothetical time machine we use ;)

Last edited:

Because filho beat him....

Filho was the mw champ and was a beast

Back