Chael was the rightful MW champ (of WEC)

Chart69r

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I still can't fathom how he wasn't given that title in the second Filho fight. Filho missed weight and should therefore not have been eligible to win the title (vacate it if he won.)

Chael should have been the WEC champ.

I still can't fathom how he wasn't given that title in the second Filho fight. Filho missed weight and should therefore not have been eligible to win the title (vacate it if he won.)

Because it wasn't a MW title fight after Filho missed weight, didn't think it was that hard to comprehend.

Because it wasn't a MW title fight after Filho missed weight, didn't think it was that hard to comprehend.
I think he’s making the argument as why Chael was punished when Paulo was the one that missed weight? It should’ve been for the vacant title where if Chael won, he becomes the new champ.

Chael made weight and won. He fulfilled all obligations as challenger to become champion. He’s speaking to what SHOULD happen not what DOES happen.
It was no longer a MW fight, how can you win a title if the fight is no longer in said division?

Why should Chael be punished for Filho's mistake ? And their have been title bouts before where one fighter is only defending / fighting for the title.

Couldnt even outjab a completely LSD-ed [rohypnol, tbf] Filho, tho....
I mean, if the precedent had been set I'm sure he'd have gone full Klitschko on Paulo, but I'd wager that seeing your opponent do weird shit can really mess with you as well.

That and there's the possibility he really wanted to make sure he didn't fuck up what was the biggest opportunity of his career. Think he got really emotional after the fight because he wouldn't get the belt despite getting his hand raised.

I mean, if the precedent had been set I'm sure he'd have gone full Klitschko on Paulo, but I'd wager that seeing your opponent do weird shit can really mess with you as well.

That and there's the possibility he really wanted to make sure he didn't fuck up what was the biggest opportunity of his career. Think he got really emotional after the fight because he wouldn't get the belt despite getting his hand raised.
tbh a 'normal' Filho would have schooled poor Sonnen, tho...

The story was that Filho was suppose to hand over the belt to Chael in the locker room. This didn't happen but Filhos team did say they were going to send the belt to Sonnen. This was the last title fight under the MW division in WEC before UFC took em over. Don't know if Filho ever sent the belt.

Why should Chael be punished for Filho's mistake ? And their have been title bouts before where one fighter is only defending / fighting for the title.
In the UFC when there was no champion and they were fighting for an interim title. Figueiredo/Benavidez or Romero/Rockhold ring any bells?

Anderson/Lutter and Whittaker/Romero were non title fights, why?

The story was that Filho was suppose to hand over the belt to Chael in the locker room. This didn't happen but Filhos team did say they were going to send the belt to Sonnen. This was the last title fight under the MW division in WEC before UFC took em over. Don't know if Filho ever sent the belt.
Chael has said on his podcast that they did send it.

In the UFC when there was no champion and they were fighting for an interim title. Figueiredo/Benavidez or Romero/Rockhold ring any bells?

Edit: Sry missread your post mate.

Lutter & Romero were not champions, if a champion cannot make weight for a title belt bout, it makes no sense that he should be able to lose a fight that his opponent made weight for and still keep the belt. If a title challenger can't win the belt for failing to make weight, a champion shouldn't be able to hold onto it for the same reason.

I am not saying the rules don't apply, I am just arguing against the logic of them. I don't think it is fair.

Lutter & Romero were not champions, if a champion cannot make weight for a title belt bout, it makes no sense that he should be able to lose a fight that his opponent made weight for and still keep the belt. If a title challenger can't win the belt for failing to make weight, a champion shouldn't be able to hold onto it for the same reason.

I am not saying the rules don't apply, I am just arguing against the logic of them. I don't think it is fair.
It's a non title fight regardless of your opinion. If both fighters do not make weight, it is no longer a fight in that division.

Could they have stripped Filho, sure, but Sonnen winning the belt was never happening in that fight.

Back