Chael Sonnen reveals his biggest MMA regret...

ligthandshadow

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
On the latest Chael Sonnen Podcast (Soa and Soares interviewed) Ed Soares asked Chael if he had any regret and he revealed (paraphrase)

Going after the Nogueira brothers. I had a habit of going after guys I didn't like, but the Nogueira brothers I didn't know. And it wasn't until after I got to know them that I realized how wrong I was for going after them. They are outstanding human beings, particularly for their philanthropy back in Brazil.

http://podcastone.com/chaelsonnen

Their carrot fuel initiative has changed public transportation in Brazil forever

When I read topic I though it would be that good ol' spinning back fist

The spinning back flop just about sums up Chael's career.

I always liked the guy, but I think he lost every big match he was in, with he exception of Paulo Filho part 2.

Still, good personality and his podcast is decent (although some people have mentioned that his halting reads are very frustrating and they ARE.)

i thought it would be not laying and praying on Anderson Silva for a couple more seconds for world title. sure Anderson locked in a triangle but I assume a 200 pound NCAA wrestler in Sonnen could have pulled a Greg Jackson and just ride it out instead of being active when the fight was in the bag already.

LOL at spinning back fist.

That's cool for Shael to say that.

He admits when he got his Troll on too hard.

I thought it was going to be vs. Anderson I: physically molested the person who was all but solidified as GOAT for the better part of 5 rounds, only to get caught with seconds left.

i thought it would be not laying and praying on Anderson Silva for a couple more seconds for world title. sure Anderson locked in a triangle but I assume a 200 pound NCAA wrestler in Sonnen could have pulled a Greg Jackson and just ride it out instead of being active when the fight was in the bag already.

Chael said in the post-fight interview that you lose track of what round and what the time is while you are out there fighting... it wasn't until just before the press conference that he realized he was at the end of the fight when it happened.

Probably good he lost though, since we'd have the TRT test scandal immediately following the fight!

The spinning back flop just about sums up Chael's career.

I always liked the guy, but I think he lost every big match he was in, with he exception of Paulo Filho part 2.

Still, good personality and his podcast is decent (although some people have mentioned that his halting reads are very frustrating and they ARE.)

Chael, I always had mixed feelings about him but, deserves more than to be remembered for a spinning back fist fail. Behind his character and antics, he was a legit top 5 MW whose only road block to a UFC work title was a prime Anderson Silva.

And Filho didn't show up for that one.

Exactly.
Didn't show up, missed weight by a mile, no-longer a title fight... pretty lame.
We were shocked to see Chael whoop him in the first fight (up until the submission) and were even more shocked by Filho's behavior in the second.

He hit some really dark places mentally.

And Filho didn't show up for that one.

For all intents and purposes, Chael was a Champion.

I don't understand how a person can defeat the Champion, soundly, and not become Champion.

That bus thing was a great bit though.

[YT]jHAGXlIyprQ[/YT]

I don't understand how a person can defeat the Champion, soundly, and not become Champion.

because he tapped with time left on the clock lol

because he tapped with time left on the clock lol

he's talking about the 2nd Filho fight in WEC for their MW belt.
Filho was champ, missed weight and fight was changed to non-title, Filho was out of it(prob on GHB or roofies at the time) and lost UD.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

I'm not disputing he won the fight. It would've been a more impressive result, however, if a mentally-sound opponent had shown up to face him.

Chael, I always had mixed feelings about him but, deserves more than to be remembered for a spinning back fist fail. Behind his character and antics, he was a legit top 5 MW whose only road block to a UFC work title was a prime Anderson Silva.

That is why I think he really meant it when he said "Anderson Silva you suck"

Imagine how he felt after the first loss to A.Silva he was dominating that fight he rock Silva in the 1st round control him on the ground then lose via a submission in the 5th.

I'm not disputing he won the fight. It would've been a more impressive result, however, if a mentally-sound opponent had shown up to face him.

Unsound as he was with his cocaine issue (I believe it was cocaine), he was the Champion.

Let's look at it now: If DC had kicked the shit out of Bones en route to a non-controversial UD, should Cormier not get the belt because Bones did cocaine?

Unsound or not, I just don't get how you can wreck the Champion and not get the belt.

Just checked and he was addicted to something called rohypnol.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/10/...aling-with-drug-and-money-issues-might-retire

Just checked further and it's medical name is flunitrazepam. A benzo that's basically a muscle relaxant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flunitrazepam

Back