Chael Sonnen: North Americans don't want to see Khabib return

shoorik1987

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

So if you don't want to listen to Chael:

- Khabib is not really popular i US.
- Khabib never sold out arenas in US.
- North Americans, really don't want to see Khabib (maybe top-5, top-6 fighter they want to see).
- You would rather watch Jon Jones at HW, Adesanya or Stipe vs Ngannu.
- Fans pretend to like Khabib only because he's gone and you miss what has been taken away.
- Khabib only interesting in Conor rematch.

Discuss...

giphy.gif

That channel was fun in the beginning, but now we see Chael everywhere, it got tiring with this oversaturation and some of his videos have 3 minute add of some products in the beginning.

Last edited:
There is probably some truth in that. The vast majority of MMA fans would definitely want to see him fight but the more casual base probably aren’t too fussed about him retiring.

Average of 1.3 fights a year over the last 6 years. It’s not really going to leave a lasting effect on the larger fan base.

- North Americans, really don't want to see Khabib (maybe top-5, top-6 fighter they want to see).
- Fans pretend to like Khabib only because he's gone and you miss what has been taken away.

Discuss...

I think his central point is right in the fact that Khabib is not a superstar in america. He's more of just a "star" here. He's a superstar outside of the west. UK probably loves him though, they have a large muslim population.

I don't agree that people would rather watch Jon Jones though. Jon Jones isn't a super star here either. Khabib's day card I think did better numbers than Jon's last fight. So that's off. Stipe definitely off. Stipe or ngannou are not stars. Casuals not gonna pay to see them. Neither of them can promote a fight.

Izzy's fight did 700k primetime slot. Khabib's did 675k daytime card. Do the math.

He's also wrong in saying americans don't have an interest in seeing khabib returning as LW . Dumb argument.

Now that Khabi is a star, it would have been nice to see him fight in NY after the conor fight and see all the russians come out.

Last edited:

Discuss...

I mean, I’ve always enjoyed him a lot.

I agree he’s probably not that popular in the US without Conor. Everyone gets a bump from the red panty night. Outside the USA I’m not sure. He seems big out there where he’s from, and that seems like a good market for the UFC.

Chael does not speak for the hardcores.

Hardcores appreciate bad ass dudes no matter where they come from.

Chael knows the casuals up and down!

Who gives a fuck, Americans aren't the only ones who watch MMA, people in the Faroe Islands would rather watch turds float in the bath than listen to Chael.

Back