Chael Sonnen legacy

Mcgregor's UFC

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
If Chael wins the Bellator heavyweight tournament where does his legacy in the sport stand? Improved? Or is the Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix have no effect and is it full of washed up fighters?

Personally I feel like Chael definitely was on the juice in quite a few fights on the UFC, but then again most guys were as well. His first fight with Anderson will forever be the greatest "What if" for me. And then the Jones fight was just a terrible idea.

But I feel like the Bellator heavyweight tournament is legit, Bader, Mitrione, King Mo are pretty legit Heavyweights and I'm still a strong believer that Fedor still has something left. If Chael can win the Tournament it means he would have gotten past some top level guys in a weight class he never fights in, I think thats pretty impressive!

I don't think he will win the tournament but if he does it would be incredible.

Chael's legacy will always be tied to his rivalry with Silva. To this day, the rematch is the fight I was most hyped for.

Cecil Peoples has a better chance of winning the Bellator HW tournament

Had an awesome run at the MW belt but came up short.

Everything else is just dumb. He also got submitted by big headed Tito but ill ignore that. His win over Shogun was great. ( :( )

Last edited:
Between Fedor and Nelson, I'd say he has significantly low odds.

I beat Chael in a youth wrestling match.

Who knew that this would be the highlight of my pathetic life..............

Anyways, Chael is a legendary shit-talker, not a legendary fighter. His place is well secured in MMA history.

I beat Chael in a youth wrestling match.

Who knew that this would be the highlight of my pathetic life..............

Anyways, Chael is a legendary shit-talker, not a legendary fighter. His place is well secured in MMA history.

What... go on

What... go on
I grew up in Oregon. I wrestled USA as a kid and in the MT Hood league in HS (Trying to stay somewhat anonymous).

Anyways, i beat Chael in a tournament that I believe was in Mcminnville in 5th grade. I still got a cardboard bracket at my mom's somewhere with is name in 2nd place on it. i told this story on another thread and promised to post the bracket, but I was unable to find it at thanks giving.

Chael went on to be a stud in HS and college, while I ended up being better than average but nothing special. I was a pretty good football and track guy, but I never even placed in state in wrestling.

Chael and I were in completely different weight classes in HS too. I want to say he wrestled 163 whiel I was at 148 in HS. It's been so long that I forget the weight classes.

I grew up in Oregon. I wrestled USA as a kid and in the MT Hood league in HS (Trying to stay somewhat anonymous).

Anyways, i beat Chael in a tournament that I believe was in Mcminnville in 5th grade. I still got a cardboard bracket at my mom's somewhere with is name in 2nd place on it. i told this story on another thread and promised to post the bracket, but I was unable to find it at thanks giving.

Chael went on to be a stud in HS and college, while I ended up being better than average but nothing special. I was a pretty good football and track guy, but I never even placed in state in wrestling.

Chael and I were in completely different weight classes in HS too. I want to say he wrestled 163 whiel I was at 148 in HS. It's been so long that I forget the weight classes.

That's actually a pretty awesome story to share. Thank you !

I don't see Mr.Sonnen get past the next round tbh...

To be honest, if Chael wins the heavyweight tournament it doesn't mean he has a great legacy, it would just mean the heavyweight division in Bellator is a joke.
But I really don't see it happening, wasn't surprised he was able to beat fat Rampage but I don't see him beating anyone else.

This heavyweight tournament would likely be Chael's biggest achievement, that said, him winning is highly unlikely. I can't see him beating Frank Mir.

Huge if true

Chael has a great resume, lot of victories over former champs. One of the best fighters to never win a title, a definitive underachiever. His submission defense let him down in his earlier days.

Back