Chael Sonnen : Frankie Edgar is the better fighter, but Brian Ortega is as tough as Nick Diaz.

Edgar vs Ortega....Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I´m with you there AB, no way Ortega is gonna out tough Edgar.

I see Edgar using his footwork and boxing in the 1st part of the rounds to score points and getting takedowns near the end of the rounds with little time for Ortega to work on his submissions. And Edgar's takedowns and top control are really smooth and he knows how to play it safe, hardly ever leaving himself exposed for submissions.

I feel Frankie is a bad matchup for Ortega. Frankie will not be taken down, his boxing is much better as well. I think Frankie will have his way with him even though he's almost 37 years old.

People are way too high on the admitted ped abuser; the guy has struggled vs all of his recent opponents and had to pull most of his wins out of his ass in the later rounds. Good on him for staying determined and looking to win until the end, but that just does not seem like a long term recipe for success, especially against the elite fighters in the division.

Frankie will be on top elbowing him. Ortega doesn't have the advantage off his back. No one has against Edgar. His top position grappling mixed with GnP is among the best ever.

Also...why is Chael talking about a newcomers toughness when he's facing Frankie? Frankie's proven tough, even when severely undersized at LW. Meanwhile Ortega's been in a few brawls.

Every BJJ guy Frankie has faced has been smashed. While Frankie is starting to get up in age I believe he'll still beat down Ortega.

tenor.gif

<[analyzed}> . i observed and understand the intended jest in the post in question.

From what I hear Chael is talking about Ortega walking through shots, almost KZ style, which makes people second guess themselves. Frankie does not do that; he gets dropped.
Frankie is tough as hell, but I think Chael is talking about ability to eat shots and keep on walking forward here in this video.

Ortega is such a great grappler that they forget how technically sound he is on the feet, he strikes like a striker, Frankie is a legend but i see Ortega finishing him, probably a knock out as i could never see Frankie tapping, you know when i think about it its crazy he never got finished while being outsized and fighting always the best. I just dont see where Frankie can impose his game, he is a good striker but Ortega is good and understands reach very well so i dont know, even grinding him on the ground could be hard as Ortega has great submissions.

This is insane. Lol Ortega got outstruck by Guida. He isn't a high level striker.l

Ortega is such a great grappler that they forget how technically sound he is on the feet, he strikes like a striker, Frankie is a legend but i see Ortega finishing him, probably a knock out as i could never see Frankie tapping, you know when i think about it its crazy he never got finished while being outsized and fighting always the best. I just dont see where Frankie can impose his game, he is a good striker but Ortega is good and understands reach very well so i dont know, even grinding him on the ground could be hard as Ortega has great submissions.
Not saying Ortega is a bad striker and he is quickly improving, but he come on. A technically sound striker doesn't get clearly outclassed on the feet for almost three rounds by Clay Guida. Setting aside getting cracked, Frankie outstruck Penn, Swanson, Mendes, Maynard, Bendo -- most of these guys soundly outclass Ortega on the feet.

Logic would suggest Father Time is going to catch up with Frankie sooner rather than later. He's been at this for a long time and has been through some absolute wars.

But I'm not sure that will happen just yet.

Not saying Ortega is a bad striker and he is quickly improving, but he come on. A technically sound striker doesn't get clearly outclassed on the feet for almost three rounds by Clay Guida. Setting aside getting cracked, Frankie outstruck Penn, Swanson, Mendes, Maynard, Bendo -- most of these guys soundly outclass Ortega on the feet.
Thats almost 2 years ago and he still got the finish and he also dominated Cub on the Feet before submitting him, im not saying he is Connor on the feet but for the fact that he is a grappler he has excellent stand up, if this was maybe 4 years ago i could see Edgar but the new blood mostly beats the old but i know Frankie has made a point of it not being so, by beating many up and comers.

Thats almost 2 years ago and he still got the finish and he also dominated Cub on the Feet before submitting him, im not saying he is Connor on the feet but for the fact that he is a grappler he has excellent stand up, if this was maybe 4 years ago i could see Edgar but the new blood mostly beats the old but i know Frankie has made a point of it not being so, by beating many up and comers.
Coming up on two years, but only two fights ago. Again, Clay Guida, bless his heart, is not a good striker and is pretty shot at this point. You also need to rewatch Swanson/Ortega. Swanson clearly got the better of the striking.

Put it this way. Frankie has taken rounds off Aldo on the feet. Ortega's striking just isn't remotely in the same league right now.

Coming up on two years, but only two fights ago. Again, Clay Guida, bless his heart, is not a good striker and is pretty shot at this point. You also need to rewatch Swanson/Ortega. Swanson clearly got the better of the striking.

Put it this way. Frankie has taken rounds off Aldo on the feet. Ortega's striking just isn't remotely in the same league right now.

Thanks, i will thats how i remember it but i might be wrong.
Do you mean the first fight right? Because the second one i remember well, Aldo outclassed him, he beat him without ever hurting him, stuffed all the takedowns and didnt let him land, that fight was almost scary Frankie was helpless.

If Frankie can stay clear of, or at least fight his way out of Ortega's guillotines, I'd say Edgar lights him up worse than Cub did throughout the fight.

Thanks, i will thats how i remember it but i might be wrong.
Do you mean the first fight right? Because the second one i remember well, Aldo outclassed him, he beat him without ever hurting him, stuffed all the takedowns and didnt let him land, that fight was almost scary Frankie was helpless.
The fight as a whole wasn't close, but Frankie took one or two rounds in the rematch.

Not sure I agree with Chael here.

Ortega is definitely a SUPER slick submission artist, but Frankie is legendary tough himself. Ortega ain't 'out-toughing' him, and Edgar has the conditioning and mental toughness to be in his face all night.

I do think Ortega has the ability to possibly catch Frankie in something, but I don't see him out-gritting him.

Thoughts?

i wonder what chael is basing that on. its a terrifying thought, if true

Beating Frankie would be a huge statement, finishing him would make Ortega a legend.

Which rounds sir?
I gave him the first, as did a lot of media scoring it. I also might have given him the third live, but I haven't rewatched the fight.

Back