Chael Sonnen dunking some damn logic on ya'll

For those who always ask what happens when Dana retires, this is apart of Chaels years long audition to be chosen as his replacement.

Chaels channel is devoted to pushing what he believes is the company agenda, though he often is woefully misinformed.
He runs his own promotion streamed on UFC fight pass, anyone with a brain can see what his true agenda is.

If you are too braindead to understand this then thats on you.

I'm talking the idiots that think sonnen or cormier should take over dana white's spot. That is seriously small-brained primate level shit.

5. In real life, you are paid what people are willing to pay based on demand and your skills, not what you think you deserve. That applies to ANY profession out there
Not true. You are paid as little as you are letting them pay you. They have no reason to spontaneously pay you the max of what they are willing to pay.

Not true. You are paid as little as you are letting them pay you. They have no reason to spontaneously pay you the max of what they are willing to pay.
what I meant is that you should negotiate but if your skills are not desired and people are not willing to pay, it won't get you anywhere.

what I meant is that you should negotiate but if your skills are not desired and people are not willing to pay, it won't get you anywhere.
That's one problem of abusive UFC contracts: even if there people willing to pay you more, you're stuck with one organization so the laws of offer and demand are flawed.

That's one problem of abusive UFC contracts: even if there people willing to pay you more, you're stuck with one organization so the laws of offer and demand are flawed.
I was speaking more generally. the right away would be to sign a contract for fewer fights, signing for 8-10 fights without negotiating power is indeed abusive

It would be good policy for the UFC, and generally good for the fans, but terrible for the fighters.

But, the UFC could get it done. They got these guys to basically give away their likeness rights for the video games, and just took their sponsorship money away from them, and that was all good for the UFC and fans, but rough for the fighters.

We'd be less likely to get big fights, but we'd have more consistent good fights. We'd see a lot more paper champs when guys dug their heels in and wanted a payday or a differnt direction in their career, but every division could have 3 title fights a year come hell or high water.

If these guys don't want to get rolled over by the UFC they really need to organize.

Nah UFC does some shady shit by extending each contract by EIGHT FIGHTS LOL 8 FIGHTS. So even if a fighter is winning and making a huge name for himself he is still on the same shitty contract when he started if they do not demand to renegotiate. If the UFC was more fair with their contract structure we wouldn't have these issues almost every fight.

On the other hand, if you go on a skid you don't lose money. Silva was getting 600k a fight to lose to the likes of Uriah Hall

This bullshit of picking and choosing fights, particularly as champion and fight-by-fight negotiations is getting old as hell.

Cliffs for those who don't want to watch the video:

- Promoter determines the #1 contender, the champ just has to show up
- Contracts are in place for a reason. Fighter: "What will I get paid?" Promoter: "I don't know. I have 550 contracts and I don't have yours memorized. You have just one, YOU tell ME what is says."
- Multi-fight deals keep from having to have the same conversations over and over about terms every fight.
- Fighters should have less to discuss every fight and should primarily be responsible for either showing up or don't participate.

I'm fully on board with the UFC running a tighter ship in this case. Personally, I like the idea of the UFC presenting a fighter with a list of two or three fighters per fight. They choose one and that's how it is. No more of this shitty pickiness. Either fight or don't fight. The show will go on. You decide if you want to be a part of it or not.

I really am sorry for anyone over the age of 20 who listens to, or cares what Chael says. It defies all logic. I guess there are still Beeber fans though so maybe it all evens out?

On the other hand, if you go on a skid you don't lose money. Silva was getting 600k a fight to lose to the likes of Uriah Hall

Who gives a shit when the UFC has the right to cut you and end that contract anytime they don't feel like paying you anymore. Look at Overeem and JDS lol I agree those guys are in the twilight of their careers but the UFC absolutely has worse heavyweights on the roster. The only reason they were released is because they make good money to fight.

Anyway part of Chael's point is nowadays the fighters are constantly negotiating over who their opponent will be and what date they will fight, and it's exhausting. Guys are just sitting out because they can't get the matchup they want.

Contrast that with a promotion like PFL where fighters sign a contract to compete on a specific date in a specific city for a specific sum, and that's it. They don't negotiate over the opponent, they just fight whoever the PFL puts across from them.

I'd like to see the UFC increase the revenue split fighters make from like 18% to more like 40-49% of total revenue, but get rid of a lot of this drama over who is willing to fight whom.

UFC is responsible, they always favor fighters who are popular over those who actually deserve a title fight. They allowed Conor to pick and choose at will because he made money, while not rewarding fighters that deserved a title shot. At the same time the low ball fighters in contract renewals before they get title shots, they never let a contract run out they always force renewals.

Can't wait for your next thread bro,

Will it be water is wet, the key is blue or I banged your mom last night.

If you average out the number of losses it takes to get shown the door, per weight class, that is how long contracts and extensions should last.

Francis never ducked the Lewis rematch. He just thought June was too early for him. He'll definitely take the fight for July / August if the Jones fight can't be made.

Yeah that's ducking lol. Why is June too soon? That's plenty of time for a full training camp and recovery from his last fight (he took barely any damage)

Yeah that's ducking lol. Why is June too soon? That's plenty of time for a full training camp and recovery from his last fight (he took barely any damage)
Because he already said he wants to do it in July or August. You don't know his life. Maybe he's got stuff planned in May already that he doesn't want to interrupt a training camp to do.

2. Chael is the prime example of how to work to make money even if you are a mid tier fighter: you show up to fight, you fight anyone they put in front of you, you run your mouth and you promote yourself and the fight. So he is giving advice to fighters out there who wants to be better negotiators. I think we all agree he knows a thing or two on how to negotiate fight contracts (he was one of the highest paid athletes at some point without ever being a champion)
He was a terrible negotiator as a fighter. He barely got a million for the the Silva rematch. Are you going to tell me getting less than 5 percent of event revenue as the promotional A side is financial savvy? Not to mention if Chael was a great negotiator, he probably wouldn't have a criminal record for financial crimes, ya know?
5. In real life, you are paid what people are willing to pay based on demand and your skills, not what you think you deserve. That applies to ANY profession out there. you should ask more money and negotiate salary, but you won't get anywhere if your skills or the need for them are not there.
Does you job have a championship clause, extensive exclusive negotiating and matching periods, and all the other sorts of leverage the UFC has? If not, your analogy is silly and irrelevant.
4. At the end of the day, UFC is a BUSINESS, not a sport
Then why does Dana always compare the UFC's popularity to soccer or other sports? Why not Apple, or IBM or any litany of businesses? I agree the UFC is a business and not a sport, but you can't have it both ways if you're Dana. They want to be seen as a sport, so they should be held to some of the standards of a sport.
Sounds like he was making less than his MRP still.

Who gives a shit when the UFC has the right to cut you and end that contract anytime they don't feel like paying you anymore. Look at Overeem and JDS lol I agree those guys are in the twilight of their careers but the UFC absolutely has worse heavyweights on the roster. The only reason they were released is because they make good money to fight.

They can’t cut you with fights remaining

JDS and Overeem didn’t get new contracts

They can’t cut you with fights remaining

JDS and Overeem didn’t get new contracts
Dude, do you even follow the sport? How are you a big enough mma fan to be on sherdog but don't know the UFC can cut fighters at any time?

Back