Chael Sonnen: Did Pereira Let Adesanya win Rounds?

Yep. Same strategy as McGregor gassing Khabib out by getting taken down.

It's possible, giving away rounds is a normal strategy in kickboxing and boxing. They will use rounds to recover and not really do much or give a couple rounds away so they can go strong in the later rounds, especially last round. Pereira obviously used the 4th round to recover and the 3rd round he just let himself lose the round after getting taken down. Seemed like he was more focused on just defending from strikes instead of putting too much energy into getting up and scrambling. Pereira said himself that he was pacing himself for a 5 round fight and once he got to the 5th round he could empty the tank and chase the finish because he knew he needed a finish to win.

Alex P didn't "let" Izzy win rounds, he was just very concerned about not gassing out early. Also terrible bragging rights being "more skilled" if you lose every time your name is listed vs the other guys name, no matter the sport.

Everybody please stop quoting Chael and Weasel as MMA authority figures, you expose yourselves, thanks.

at least I respect Chaels grappling acumen and I'll pay attention when he's talking wrestling (with an air of suspicion of course), but Weasel just makes you look like you can't think for yourself.

Straight from the horse's mouth.
Yawning_horse%2C_Scotland.jpg

i dont think he was "letting him" do anything, but Izzy was very fortune in round 1 and rounds 3. Round 1 to land the shot and hurt Alex towards the end after pretty much losing the entire round was both lucky and lucky in the fact that he couldnt finish because he found success so late in the round. Round 3 was more on Alex then anything, he tried some sort of hip toss attempt where he stepped over Izzy and it backfired, without that it would most likely be more of the same which was success on the feet.

I know ppl r going to dispute what i just said as a "coulda/woulda/shoulda" type shit, but i dunno, i feel like landing a shot that he did in round 1 at close quarters like that to hurt Alex, and then kinda fall forward after a failed takedown attempt by Alex in round 3 is fortunate, you did not see much success in grappling aside from round 3 so i think its fair to assume it wouldnt happen elsewhere in the fight, and if that takedown in the 3rd didnt happen, Alex wouldnt of been tired most of round 4, thus actually making that round more competitive as it was on the feet for the entire round.

Very easily instead of Izzy winning on the scorecards it could of been Alex winning virtually every round going into the 5th.

<Huh2>

Basically you're entire post is saying "If Pereira didnt make some mistakes, and if Izzy didnt do some good things, Alex could have been up 5 rounds". Yeah and if Izzy dodged the punches in the final round and survived he would have won an unanimous decision.

How was rocking Pereira lucky btw? Did he slip and his fist accidentally hit Pereiras chin? Was Pereira lucky in their second fight that he was able to catch him with a big left hook in the final round of a fight he was losing on the scorecards? Was he lucky that a kick ended up fucking Izzy's leg?

<Huh2>

Basically you're entire post is saying "If Pereira didnt make some mistakes, and if Izzy didnt do some good things, Alex could have been up 5 rounds". Yeah and if Izzy dodged the punches in the final round and survived he would have won an unanimous decision.

How was rocking Pereira lucky btw? Did he slip and his fist accidentally hit Pereiras chin? Was Pereira lucky in their second fight that he was able to catch him with a big left hook in the final round of a fight he was losing on the scorecards? Was he lucky that a kick ended up fucking Izzy's leg?
Izzy was lucky more in the sense of what he did in round 1, with just a few seconds left in the round never happened or repeated itself the rest of the rounds....for 4 more rounds, yes, u can say there is no such thing as luck or whatever, but im just speaking of what we know after the fact, how the fight went down and what Izzy did and didnt do for the rest of it, and he did not hurt Alex or came even close to it.

And round 3 was pretty lucky, if Alex doesnt get ahead of himself and try to go for a hip toss he most likely never ends up on the ground as Izzy was struggling mightily in taking Alex down the rest of the fight, and without that round 3 grappling i think its more than fair to say Alex is not gassed in round 4, i dont think what im saying is just really outlandish or anything, yes im playing the devils' advocate a bit and doing the "what if " game but i dont think im exaggerating anything too much aside from 2 things, the 1 good strike with 2 seconds left in the round and 1 takedown that was due to Alex more than Izzy.

This isn’t boxing. You’ve only got 5 rounds at most and you’re stuck with often incompetent judges (as apposed to boxings corrupt judges). There isnt an mma fighter out there who purposely gives away rounds for any strategic reason.

That was always the predicament going into the fight, we knew Izzy would do well.

we just didn’t know if he could survive against the monster and he didn’t

Back