Chael Sonnen calls out Flyweight division

aefc3f459dbf9de7e0071c0b2fd232cc1c235a51cb71ba4cad85b1f84fc8337c.jpg

In 2011 when the UFC made new divisions, instead of 125,135,145, they should have just made 135 and 145.

Chael could tie two midget flyweights together and use them as nunchucks to wreck the rest of the division.

Lol 125 pound “men.”

Chael could tie two midget flyweights together and use them as nunchucks to wreck the rest of the division.
Weight classes don't specify how many fighters are competing, IMO two fly flyweights should be able to compete simultaneously in heavyweight as long as their combined weight doesnt exceed 265.

Stipe vs Triple C and Shevchenko in the first ever intergender tag team heavyweight championship. Make it happen Dana.

Weight classes don't specify how many fighters are competing, IMO two fly flyweights should be able to compete simultaneously in heavyweight as long as their combined weight doesnt exceed 265.

Stipe vs Triple C and Shevchenko in the first ever intergender tag team heavyweight championship. Make it happen Dana.
giphy.gif

I have to agree with Chael here
Triple C saved all those other manlets from begging Asian orgs for jobs.
All the manlet division needs is a couple other interesting characters to be a needle moving division.

Find myself disagreeing with Chael more and more on MMA. GSP being the GOAT, supporting champchampism, lots of bad takes recently IMO.

I'm convinced 125 was saved by the ESPN plus deal making low PPV's(the reason the division was going to be killed) irelevant not by Henry. Henry never moved the needle financially for the UFC because the ESPN plus deal destroyed the needle and I think that's what saved 125 cause right now the numbers the UFC was going to shut 125 down over look pretty darn good. I think Chael is confusing stuff that sells like trash talk and gimmicks as having value of it's own rather than having value cause it sells. With Henry and Colby's gimmicks the evidence says either A no one sells and we can't really tell anymore what's popular or B they don't sell(Colby's record).

If fans won't watch a product cause the fighters aren't exciting enough outside of the Octagon that's a them problem especially since the in octagon product at 125 has been incredible by the standards casuals tend to judge fights(fast paced mostly on the feet). Would Chael be willing to bring up the same logic in terms of the 170 wrestlers(unfairly villified as boring) who don't trash talk like an Askren and who are ignored as a result? I don't think so. Once everyone's got a gimmick the gimmick ceases to be entertaining. It's why champchampism collapsed people care about unique shit cause it's unique.

12 fighters on the flyweight roster. Few no names, few current bantamweights, 1 real contender - Joseph Benavidez. Champion who cant make 125lb again - Henry Cejudo.

Division is a joke. The true is, flyweight division is a joke - few real flyweights on the roster, 2 years ago there was 30 flyweights. They are midgets, their place is in Japan, like Chael said they don't even promote, Benavidez is quiet as well. I hope in 2020 flyweight gonna be shout for good.

Back