Chael: I've used PEDs & I believe in a clean sport. I'm a hypocrite but I'm not wrong

markg171

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
We tend to lump all PEDs together, but nothing could be further from the truth. There is virtually limitless medical research that demonstrates the clear benefits of (responsibly) using certain performance-enhancing drugs, and despite my suspension, and retirement from competitive fighting that followed, I would not hesitate to use PEDs again if a trained and reputable physician advised me to do so.

Truth is, I have absolutely no regrets over taking testosterone. When used in a responsible fashion, the drug can work wonders. I experienced transformative effects to my overall attitude, my energy level, my appearance (skin and hair), and, obviously, my confidence. None of this is meant to suggest that everyone can or should take testosterone — when abused, it can have devastating effects — but for me, the benefits far outweighed the risks, especially because of that certain built-in check that fighters must be mindful of: the weigh-in. You see, “abusing” testosterone (or any other PEDs I took) never made much sense for me. I would not have made weight had I done so.

Now, I know what you’re thinking: “Chael, you still don’t seem to understand that what you did was wrong. Don’t you see how by taking the easy path — the cheaters’ path — you short-changed the guys you fought against?”

To this, I say, “You’re right. And you’re wrong.”

I knew full well that breaking the rules was wrong then and remains wrong now; that my conduct and intentions were colored by an overriding sense of selfishness and entitlement; that the warriors I fought against were probably* not relying upon the PED-infused fortitude that often carried me to victory.

(*I say “probably” because I have no idea what anyone else in UFC did or does with their own bodies. If you ask me to put a percentage on how many fighters are using PEDs, I’d put it at somewhere close to 100 percent. This doesn’t mean, specifically, that they are using legal (but not exempted) PEDs or illegal anabolic steroids, per se; it just means that it is nigh-impossible not to run afoul of WADA’s archaic (and wackadoo) banned substances list unless you’re restricting your diet to bread and water — and even then, you really can’t be completely sure. Again, I made my own bed, and I will lie in it. I didn’t take PEDs because I felt it necessary to keep up with the competition; I took PEDs because I wanted to be the best me.)

Where you’re wrong, however, is when it comes to any of this being “easy.” What most people — even casual MMA fans — don’t realize is that the training that goes into being a championship fighter is far more punishing, brutal and demanding than any one match could ever be. To be the best — actually, to even obtain a shot at facing the best — you have to be willing to put in countless hours, days, weeks and years of training. It’s monotonous and it’s depressing, and at times, it’s downright demoralizing.

Now, consider adding another layer of “training” on top of the weights, the running, the practice sessions, and the video work.

Fans see the chiseled bodies and the superhuman feats of strength and the boundless athleticism, but those are merely the end results. There is nothing “easy” about starting and maintaining a regimen of PEDs. Though I didn’t know it before I got involved, PEDs are a tremendous nuisance to those who take them — requiring excessive time, expense, doctor visits, and a never-ending series of blood tests and ingestion tweaks to keep up with ever-changing protocols. In essence, the PEDs become their own distinct part of the training process, every bit as important as eating right, lifting weights, getting enough sleep and preparing mentally for what’s to come.

Beneficial (in the ring)? Yes. “Easy?” Not so much.

All of which brings us to the hypocritical elephant in the room: How, exactly, can Chael Sonnen, admitted PED user, claim to be in favor of clean sport?

It’s quite easy, actually.

Where I erred was not in the taking of performance enhancing drugs, it was in the manner and under what pretenses through which I did so. In a vacuum, not only can taking testosterone, HGH and EPO be warranted, they can provide virtually unparalled health benefits that have nothing to do with being bigger, stronger or faster. In my case, the former even helped with fertility when my wife and I struggled with conceiving a child.

But in the end, rules are rules, and I broke them. Repeatedly. It matters not that my intentions were muddled by some amalgam of ego, desire, insecurity and at least some belief that what I was doing wasn’t wrong, per se. I cost myself a chance to be the best I could be — not on the mat, necessarily, but in representing myself as an inspiration and role model to young MMA fans, and the millions of people who supported me throughout my career.

So, yes — I do firmly believe that every athlete should adhere to the (sometimes unfair and often duplicitous) rules that their sport’s governing bodies have enacted. But if you think that for every truly “clean” player out there, there aren’t three others looking for any and all ways to get an edge — “legal” or not — you’re kidding yourself.

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/a-cautionary-chael-b45b0a65c73f

Fascinating read here guys. Chael really opens up about PEDs in MMA from his own experience. There's far more in the link thank I posted.

Chael being the champion of truth and honor, as always.

He isn't a bad writer.

Meh article though...

figures a Lannister fanboy white knights a PED abuser.

chael is the best. if he ran for presidency i would vote for him

He's one of the few guys that actually talk about that. And you have to be a fool if you think that the sport wasn't built on steroids,at least the first 10 years.

Whos this has been, and why does it matter what he says.

Blah, blah, blah

Go back to irrelevancy chael. Nobody cares what you gotta say

One (of the many) big shame about these substances being banned is exactly what Chael touches upon: In a vaccum, these things could have great effects on people that have nothing to do with being bigger, faster, stronger (And then that do that too, which certainly isn't bad)

i was listening to a particularly good episode of Joe Rogan's podcast where he talked about how one thing great about most really high end scientific stuff (whether that be biological stuff or technological stuff) is that it eventually trickles down to the public.

The example they gave was innovations made to race cars and extremely high end cars (like Lamborghini's) eventually trickle down to the public

but... a lot of the amazing stuff athletes do to make their bodies almost superhuman does not trickle down to john q public because it's hidden away and kept secret thanks to the fact that it's considered cheating.

If there was no such thing as cheating and athletes could not only do whatever they wanted but do so openly and legally then scientist could study them and release the data and then the safe stuff could eventually be used more and more by the general public

Prolly gunna get trolled but.......

.....IMO fighters train too much, and the abuse they put there body's thru is there own fault. This is why so many fighters get hurt during training. I hate floyd mayweather, but atleast he's smart enough to train the right way - if your hurting yourself training, your training the wrong way.

Whos this has been, and why does it matter what he says.

Blah, blah, blah

Go back to irrelevancy chael. Nobody cares what you gotta say

are you two idiots just saying this cause you're butt hurt about him cheating or don't like his personality? Or do you feel this way about all retired fighters?

Cause technically Fedor and Wand are just as "irrelevant" as Sonnen, if all it takes to be "irrelevant" is not being an active fighter.

He has a point. You can want a clean sport but you have to juice to compete with all the other juicers. I call that thinking idealistically but living realistically. In that world, we'd all eat organic home cooked meals every day, but the reality is fast food, high density feed lots, and lots of pesticides.

Every sport is full of PEDs. This should be common knowledge.

I have worked out harder than anyone I have known, and at my peak, some people assumed I was on steroids, but I couldn't get my body anywhere near the look of these steroid athletes.

I haven't taken anything, and I have good genes.

are you two idiots just saying this cause you're butt hurt about him cheating or don't like his personality? Or do you feel this way about all retired fighters?

Cause technically Fedor and Wand are just as "irrelevant" as Sonnen, if all it takes to be "irrelevant" is not being an active fighter.

To be fair, Fedor and Wand did much greater things in MMA and won championships and earned the respect of millions of fans. Sonnen didn't really do that.

Back