Media Chael: Islam Shouldn't be #5 after beating #14

Or in other words, Chandler was competitive against a guy who subbed Kevin Lee and dominated Tony Ferguson

Subbed FKL at the end of a close 2.5 rounds and dominated a version of Tony who any top 15 would dominate yes...exactly my point.

They're not going to rank Oliveira lower since he holds the belt, but Islam should be higher than Chandler.

They'll never be perfect and #5 should be reasonable enough to help Islam get the caliber of fighters he should...but he is a better fighter than that

Islam went to number 5 with not a single top 10 win, an barely a couple of top 15 wins. The hype machine is real.
I like Islam, so I don’t care that he’s ranked at #5, and I think realistically he’s probably good enough to be there. What drives me a little crazy though is the amount of hype he’s getting. Not even Khabib had this much hype at this point in his career, and he had beaten better fighters than Islam and looked better doing it.

I know TS is an Islam shill and I like you TS, that's fine. So I'm addressing this in general not to you:

It just seems very odd that people argued against Chandler and McGregor and others, saying they weren't worthy of title shots or rankings because they had to work their way up the ladder like Porier or Ferguson for example.

But now Islam (who I like very much as a fighter no homo and he is hilarious go watch him on YT) is ranked 5th and people are arguing he should be ranked fucking higher??? That's hypocrisy my friends. Clear cut, case closed. You can't have it both ways.

Islam is probably that talented, but his best wins are Drew Dober and Thiago Moises who was Siver'd or worse up the rankings prior to the fight. So beating one guy who is fringe ranked all of a sudden catapults you to top 5? Let's have some intellectual integrity boys.

Islam shouldn't be, but no top 10 guy wants that fight. Fighters shouldn't always fight higher ranks.

I know TS is an Islam shill and I like you TS, that's fine. So I'm addressing this in general not to you:

It just seems very odd that people argued against Chandler and McGregor and others, saying they weren't worthy of title shots or rankings because they had to work their way up the ladder like Porier or Ferguson for example.

But now Islam (who I like very much as a fighter no homo and he is hilarious go watch him on YT) is ranked 5th and people are arguing he should be ranked fucking higher??? That's hypocrisy my friends. Clear cut, case closed. You can't have it both ways.

Islam is probably that talented, but his best wins are Drew Dober and Thiago Moises who was Siver'd or worse up the rankings prior to the fight. So beating one guy who is fringe ranked all of a sudden catapults you to top 5? Let's have some intellectual integrity boys.

#5 isn't far off from where he should be and no one would make a point to argue that he should be higher if it wasn't for all the idiots whining that he can't move to #5 right after beating #14.

This idiotic argument is what got Chael to make the video and in teaching how it works he gave the example that Islam should actually be even higher

He’s got a point though. The difference between the number 9 and number 14 ranked fighter should be pretty small, so if number 9 smashes number 14 he deserves to move up because it’s showing there is more of a skill gap than 5 spots.

But all the way up to number 5? That’s too much without a top 10 win.

I think it's no secret that Islam is the best in the division

All anyone has is a puncher's chance against him

Timestamped and Cliffs:

- Islam should be higher than #5 after his win over #14 Moises
- Rank is not simply who you beat, but how you beat them, or how you actually performed

I totally agree with Chael here. If rankings are just "replace the number of whoever you beat" it gives no incentive to fight most competitors and it gives no reward for fighters who dominate vs those who get split decisions

Islam is ranked 5 now on the UFC rankings so he will get a title shot or 1, 2 more fight before a title shot. The incentive is there now to fight him.

He should of stayed at number 9 as far as I'm concerned because it's on the UFC's behalf to match fighters appropriately and not relying on fighters to pick and choose whoever they like, while ufc fixes the rankings to whatever they feel like.

From 14 to 5, fighting once a year. Anyone that think it makes sense has mental problems. But rankings dont matter so it's okay to be mental

LOL at all these guys saying they can't listen to Chael because Chael is wrong, and idiot etc YET YOU CLICKED ON A THREAD ABOUT CHAEL

Translation - you clicked on this thread because you thought Islam should be ranked lower than #5 and once that message wasn't delivered, you're trying to refute it by attacking Chael

<codychoke>

TBH Shale is getting very difficult to listen to. I mean he says is almost always horseshit, so there is the entertainment factor left. But Shale has been digressing like a madman recently. He is all over the place and I am losing interest.

Everytime OP makes a thread about Islam, Ali the sleeze deposits 10 cents to his account

#5 isn't far off from where he should be and no one would make a point to argue that he should be higher if it wasn't for all the idiots whining that he can't move to #5 right after beating #14.

This idiotic argument is what got Chael to make the video and in teaching how it works he gave the example that Islam should actually be even higher

Ok so if Thiago Moises suddenly beats 5-6 no name to decent unranked opponents and then beats someone fringe ranked 14-17 that is bumped to 14, he should then jump right to 5?

I strongly disagree. I would agree performance and domination matters, but how many top 5 ranked guys in any division are likely to lose or not dominate unranked competition? That is the problem.

Probably #2.

Definitely shouldn't be ranked lower than Beneil or Chandler.

Beneil lost many rounds recently, against guys who aren't in top 10 or even unranked.

Chandler got KO'd in his last fight against a guy who was competitive against FKL and dominated post-prime Tony who anyone in the top 15 would dominate.
You're a fucking idiot

Islam holds that ranking on hype and the fact that he’s so close with Khabib

He might end up being a dominant champion but they need to book him against an actually elite guy

Moises took "GOAT Islam" into the Champ rounds -- so Thiago should be bumped up to 13th and GOAT Islam gifted #8 in the ranking for keeping his streak alive.

Putting Islam at #5 is really meant to put the cattle prod to those he passed, as well as those he is about to if they don't get going.

Last edited:
Back