Media Chael: Islam Shouldn't be #5 after beating #14

Ackmed

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Timestamped and Cliffs:

- Islam should be higher than #5 after his win over #14 Moises
- Rank is not simply who you beat, but how you beat them, or how you actually performed

I totally agree with Chael here. If rankings are just "replace the number of whoever you beat" it gives no incentive to fight most competitors and it gives no reward for fighters who dominate vs those who get split decisions

Well Dana makes the "independent" rankings so people should complain to him.

I don't think it's that simple. Say somebody is ranked number 3. He refuses top 15 fights and fights scrubs only. Should he retain his #3 spot forever? Because if rankings worked on "you beat the guy whom you replace" basis, then in that scenario the #3 guy stays in this spot forever. He is active - so he can't be removed from rankings. But he doesn't fight anyone dangerous.

I think Islam beats Tony and RDA easy. Hooker too. Conor is always dangerous in the first 3-4 minutes, but apart from that Islam should beat him as well. I would heavily favor him over Dariush too, who fails to impress me so far. I think he is extremely slow on the feet and while he is a good wrestlefucker, against Islam it will probably be a standup fight and Dariush is just too slow.

All in all a ranking should be a combination of who beat whom and some common sense. While more often than not the latter is lacking, in this case I agree with Islam moving up.

Not gonna listen to Chael. So where should he rank? #2, #3?

Probably #2.

Definitely shouldn't be ranked lower than Beneil or Chandler.

Beneil lost many rounds recently, against guys who aren't in top 10 or even unranked.

Chandler got KO'd in his last fight against a guy who was competitive against FKL and dominated post-prime Tony who anyone in the top 15 would dominate.

Timestamped and Cliffs:

- Islam should be higher than #5 after his win over #14 Moises
- Rank is not simply who you beat, but how you beat them, or how you actually performed

I totally agree with Chael here. If rankings are just "replace the number of whoever you beat" it gives no incentive to fight most competitors and it gives no reward for fighters who dominate vs those who get split decisions

I can't listen to Chael at this point, the guy is a blowhard.

Who cares?
Lately I've the impression that almost none of the fights nowadays are based on rankings anyway so whatever...
Edit: and TBH I personally don't even care, I just wanna see entertaining fights, indipendantly of the fighters rankings.

LOL at all these guys saying they can't listen to Chael because Chael is wrong, and idiot etc YET YOU CLICKED ON A THREAD ABOUT CHAEL

Translation - you clicked on this thread because you thought Islam should be ranked lower than #5 and once that message wasn't delivered, you're trying to refute it by attacking Chael

<codychoke>

Probably #2.

Definitely shouldn't be ranked lower than Beneil or Chandler.

Beneil lost many rounds recently, against guys who aren't in top 10 or even unranked.

Chandler got KO'd in his last fight against a guy who was competitive against FKL and dominated post-prime Tony who anyone in the top 15 would dominate.
Or in other words, Chandler was competitive against a guy who subbed Kevin Lee and dominated Tony Ferguson

I agree. Champs fight contenders ranked 5 and above and sometimes have fought 6, 7, and lower.

Back