Chael has been finished in more fights than he has finished fights...

He's still on top because he doesn't run away from drug tests.

I maybe mistaking here but I seem to recall Stann and Bisping both magically becoming top 10 after signing to fight Chael, they got there ranking for signing a piece of paper, not for beating top 10 ranked opponents.

You are. Bisping hit top 10 after the Sexyama win, 3 fights and over a year before he fought with Chael. Stann entered top 10 before he fought Jorge, which was before he fought Chael.

Who the hell thinks either of those two are at the top?

Okay then, use the other two I mentioned instead? Lyoto has a title shot. Hendo just got a #1 contender fight with Cormier

No I dont see your point. what is your point? none of those guys should be fighting for a title except Machida and only because he moved down a weight class.

So your saying moving down a weight class gives you leverage to getting a title shot? If so, then Sonnen moving back down and then beating the #1 contender would have title shot implications.

none of those guys are elite fighters justifying Chael always being in title contention

Like I said, I don't agree with the Jones title fight. That's not his fault though for being given it. The two runs to get to Silva were worth of a title shot. The guys I named all were ranked top 10 when Sonnen beat them. At MW, he pretty much had proven he was #2-3 before he left. It makes sense when he comes back, they give him a top guy and see if that point is still valid.

He lost to Rashad, Silva x2, jon jones and Maia.

Dude, thats some pretty fucking top competition in the UFC there. Come on. I think there is no shame in losing any of those fights.

FWIW: I think he beats Maia in a rematch. Maia happens to the one of best in the world on the ground. Hard as fuck to beat a guy like that IMO

Maia easily finishes Sonnen again.

I maybe mistaking here but I seem to recall Stann and Bisping both magically becoming top 10 after signing to fight Chael, they got there ranking for signing a piece of paper, not for beating top 10 ranked opponents.

You don't become Top 10 for "signing a piece of paper". You do it by beating top 10 guys or (less likely) a top 10 fighter losing which bumps you up. In neither case was that true for Stann or Bisping. The idea that you think Bisping wasn't top 10 when he fought Chael is laughable. He beat Miller, Akiyama, and was on a 4 fight win streak going into that fight.

You are. Bisping hit top 10 after the Sexyama win, 3 fights and over a year before he fought with Chael. Stann entered top 10 before he fought Jorge, which was before he fought Chael.

Thank you.

He was the first guy to give Anderson a problem in the UFC, arguably beat him for 6 rounds.

Okay then, use the other two I mentioned instead? Lyoto has a title shot. Hendo just got a #1 contender fight with Cormier

So your saying moving down a weight class gives you leverage to getting a title shot? If so, then Sonnen moving back down and then beating the #1 contender would have title shot implications.

Like I said, I don't agree with the Jones title fight. That's not his fault though for being given it. The two runs to get to Silva were worth of a title shot. The guys I named all were ranked top 10 when Sonnen beat them. At MW, he pretty much had proven he was #2-3 before he left. It makes sense when he comes back, they give him a top guy and see if that point is still valid.

Had Chael done something note worthy at Lhw yea it sorld have bearing on him getting a shot a mw but that is not the case now is it.

Ignoreing who he lost to since 2010 hurts your case seeing ad he has only lost to the very top of the food chain and two out of the 3 people he lost to are in a class above his.

Ignoreing who he lost to since 2010 hurts your case seeing ad he has only lost to the very top of the food chain and two out of the 3 people he lost to are in a class above his.

this is bullshit. the point is he is not elite so but he keeps getting title shots. now his losses at LHW dont count??:icon_neut

Styles make fights. Chapel Sonnen has a good wrestling and striking blend that can put guys in positions where they can get cut or submitted.
I lime Sonnen not because he wins or loses, bc of how he fights. His trash talking has bcum part of ufc history

Chael always winds up in fortunate circumstances, he's an evil genius
I remember a few months back he even laid the groundwork, saying he wanted to fight Vitor before his career was over

And don't forget that he mopped the floor with Anderson for 4 1/2 rounds before getting submitted, he could have chosen to play it safe for the last round, but no he kept attacking and attacking, even if he has "bad" sub defense.
I'll always respect him for that. Plus, he is a very funny guy if you get his sense of humor.

He has one of the worst fanbase on Sherdog though...

this is bullshit. the point is he is not elite so but he keeps getting title shots. now his losses at LHW dont count??:icon_neut
Why would losing the best 205er of all time and a top 5 205er all time make you not elite at 185 when the only person you have lost to there in 5 years is the goat of the weight class?

Just to make you look even more silly Evans and Jones are both known as grappler which being bigger then sonnen favors them and it's how they both beat him.

Back