Chad Mendes title shots

robjenkins2

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
A lot of people making a huge deal about Conor getting a title shot off a win over Denis Siver, so lets look at how Chad Mendes received his title shots. His first title shot he received coming off a decision win over Rani Yahya. Then he beat hand picked guys who he was tailor made to look for against, all who had zero chance of beating him. Cody McKenzie, Yaotzin Meza, Darren Elkins, Clay Guida and Nik Lentz. None of those guys is ranked in the top 5 in the world and only one is ranked in the top 10, Nik Lentz, and even that is debatable because Lentz has ZERO top 10 wins int he UFC. His best win is probably Hacran Dias who isn't even ranked. Yet no one complainded when Mendes got his title shots.

Holy shit I was just thinking about this ten minutes ago. I'm interested to hear the McGregor detractors views on this.

shit thread. i'm for a Conor title shot btw but, still, shit thread.

Good observation. However, as far as I remember, at the time Mendes was given the second shot, there wasn't a far worthier contender, as in Edgar now. Their fight with Swanson was actually a legit title shot eliminator. There's nothing wrong with giving Conor the shot, just not before Edgar.

It's cos Mendes is a wrestler so Muricans are more accepting of this

Good observation. However, as far as I remember, at the time Mendes was given the second shot, there wasn't a far worthier contender, as in Edgar now. Their fight with Swanson was actually a legit title shot eliminator. There's nothing wrong with giving Conor the shot, just not before Edgar.

Edgar already fought for the belt and lost convincingly, coming off two losses.

Chad was 11-0 when he got first tittle shot, most impressive win was Cub Swan.
Never the less WAR CONOR

just curious, without doing my own research, you saying none of those guys that mendes beat were ranked based on todays rankings or at time they fought? I ask becasue i loathe when posters demerit a guys competition based on rankings years later like supposedly gsp is overrated becasue kos, alves and fitch suck today they obviously sucked when he fought them.

Conor is the hottest name in the sport right now so why not give him the shot. Not to mention he is a 5 fight win streak in the UFC...

just curious, without doing my own research, you saying none of those guys that mendes beat were ranked based on todays rankings or at time they fought? I ask becasue i loathe when posters demerit a guys competition based on rankings years later like supposedly gsp is overrated becasue kos, alves and fitch suck today they obviously sucked when he fought them.

Cody was 13-2
Yaotzin was 19-7
Elkins was 16-2
Guida was 30-13
Lentz was 24-5
Jos

If I remember correctly there were many people saying that Mendes didn't deserve the rematch and that he didn't defeat any quality opponents to get it, but those that opposed said that Aldo fans were just scared Mendes was going to beat Aldo.

Connor hasn't defeated anyone that makes him deserving of a title shot, just like Mendes didn't. Still Mendes and Aldo had a great fight and the same may happen with Aldo and McGregor. I don't have a problem with fighters being undeserving and getting a shot, but there's no need to act like this is the ONLY time people have complained about an undeserving champion getting a title shot, it happens every single time someone undeserving gets one.

After Cub lost I think Conor really makes most sense. If Conor has to fight someone like Frankie his not going to get title shot and there is enough rematches going on already.
Aldo has already cleaned the division and he hasn't fight Conor yet, hype is there and most fans really wan't to see this. It's not going to be pretty for Conor fans but "The time is now"

I don't want to see Edgar vs Connor....I still think Edgar is too small, and don't want to see him lose to a guy like that lol

I don't want to see Edgar vs Connor....I still think Edgar is too small, and don't want to see him lose to a guy like that lol
:) totally agree, but they will meet and Frankie will pull off UD (hopefully not)

Back