Chad Mendes overlooked

That's exactly my point, why aren't they giving him top competition? Cody Mackenzie is shit, along with Meza? They're nobodies and now gamburyan?

Because it makes no sense to make Mendes take out top contenders when he is still a couple of years away from being a viable rematch for Aldo.

Because it makes no sense to make Mendes take out top contenders when he is still a couple of years away from being a viable rematch for Aldo.

I don't think it will take nearly that long, Chad likes to keep busy and assuming he takes out Manny I think he can get a title shot with another two wins after that, maybe even one if he KOes Gamburyan in the first.

Perhaps, but he's young, so why not build him back up slowly. And to be fair, Aldo pulled out of 2 fights last year, had he had those, Mendes might have been next already.

I don't think it will take nearly that long, Chad likes to keep busy and assuming he takes out Manny I think he can get a title shot with another two wins after that, maybe even one if he KOes Gamburyan in the first.

This.
Chad is improving exponentially each fight. Another win or two and he's up there.
I prefer he not be rushed into another Title Fight just yet.
If by some chance Edgar defeats Aldo, we have a great match up with Mendes/Edgar.

It's stupid to think that if a guy gets knocked out it's cuz he "just got caught" but if he takes someone down down to a decision it's somehow a more legitimate win even if he couldn't threaten for crap. Why don't you think that the guy taking down to a decision was just lucky he dodged the bullet so many times? That would make as much sense as thinking someone "just got caught".

It's also stupid to think that just because Cain beat JDS in the rematch, somehow that means that's going to be the norm when a guy gets knocked out and gets a rematch, even though we've seen a number of times it's gone both ways.

If someone gets knocked against a good striker, it's not because they "just got caught". It's because the other guy is a dangerous striker and sooner or later a dangerous striker will often, though not always, catch you.

Neither is an anomaly.

Mendes is climbing back up the ladder and faced two opponents that were relatively easy match ups for him, though he did beat them both about as well as possible. He seems to be working more on finishing, which is fantastic. I don't think he's ready for a rematch with Aldo yet. I could actually see him matching up with Edgar better than with Aldo. Let him get a few more wins and give him time to improve a bit more before thinking about another title shot.

mendes got fed two cans (cody and some randy) because all the other contenders were already scheduled to fight one another.
i actually think chad mendes and korean zombie are top 2 and 3, mendes being #2. many will disagree but these two guys are better than lamas, swanson, siver and koch.
the ufc couldve set up mendes-vs-kz fight for mid-2013 but i think theyre doing everything in their power to throw kz to aldo/edgar winner (it'll bring in so much money).
btw, imo, mendes beats kz via UD in 3 round fight. in 5 rounds, i have no idea.

Back