Chad Mendes: Frankie Edgar's camp didn't want to fight me

Neither have any striking to threaten Conor. At least Mendes had decent standup.

What difference does it make....they will take him down with a double leg and smoother him and not let him stand up

Off the ref happens to let him up they will rinse repeat

What difference does it make....they will take him down with a double leg and smoother him and not let him stand up

Off the ref happens to let him up they will rinse repeat

The problem being that they would get picked apart at range trying to wildly close the distance. I honestly think Conor KO's both in the first round. Prime Guida would be an interesting fight. But the Guida of now has lost a step and Lentz has no business against Top 5 fighters in my opinion.

The problem being that they would get picked apart at range trying to wildly close the distance. I honestly think Conor KO's both in the first round. Prime Guida would be an interesting fight. But the Guida of now has lost a step and Lentz has no business against Top 5 fighters in my opinion.

Siver was able to take down conor

Both of these guys can and will and wouldn't let him up

They always bring excuses for Mendes loses because he couldn't get a camp for the fight. But the same shit on Conor TDD even though he was not getting ready for a wrestler and had to fight the best wrestler on the division without any preparation. Even with that he still defended one of Mendes TDs in the first.

Siver was able to take down conor

Both of these guys can and will and wouldn't let him up

The Siver takedowns were out of desperation and probably got taken down due to not expecting it. There wasn't any committed effort to keep Conor down & control him - he was getting beat up and dived on him to get out of a bad spot. They didn't even go on record as being classed as takedowns as there has to be a certain level of control from the top & Conor popped straight back up.

I agree that Guida in a 3 round fight could be a difficult match-up for Conor. Though Guida is the average wrestler who doesn't like getting hit. But can't forget, he rag-dolled Pettis when he first came in to the UFC.

The Siver takedowns were out of desperation and probably got taken down due to not expecting it. There wasn't any committed effort to keep Conor down & control him - he was getting beat up and dived on him to get out of a bad spot. They didn't even go on record as being classed as takedowns as there has to be a certain level of control from the top & Conor popped straight back up.

I agree that Guida in a 3 round fight could be a difficult match-up for Conor. Though Guida is the average wrestler who doesn't like getting hit. But can't forget, he rag-dolled Pettis when he first came in to the UFC.

Did Pettis even try to get up?

They always bring excuses for Mendes loses because he couldn't get a camp for the fight. But the same shit on Conor TDD even though he was not getting ready for a wrestler and had to fight the best wrestler on the division without any preparation. Even with that he still defended one of Mendes TDs in the first.

Defended 3/7 takedowns. Wrestler question answered right there, brah. :rolleyes:

And don't forget Mendes broke his thumb after his first takedown. Which was then upgraded to a broken hand on the podcast.

Did Pettis even try to get up?

Jesus, can't remember. I'm sure he did in the first round. I just remember Guida being all over him like a rash. The UFC didn't give him a wrestler/grappler after that fight until he lost the belt to Dos Anjos.

Jesus, can't remember. I'm sure he did in the first round. I just remember Guida being all over him like a rash. The UFC didn't give him a wrestler/grappler afte:cool:r that fight until he lost the belt to Dos Anjos.

what are you talking about? He fought both Bendo and Gil before Dos Anjos.

And pretty sure he spent the entire fight trying to sub Guida.

what are you talking about? He fought both Bendo and Gil before Dos Anjos.

And pretty sure he spent the entire fight trying to sub Guida.

Yeah, wrong on the grappler front. I meant a wrestler style of fighter like Guida who puts the pressure on from start to finish. Dos Anjos is similar in that regard, but Pettis did seem to be affected early on with the blurred vision from the punch he got caught with.

You brought it up, its on you to explain why it is relevant to a thread about Mendes saying Edgar didn't want to fight him.

Actually I didn't bring it up, you did when you said

There's nothing at stake here other than another rematch.

And then you went and did a 180 with

Explain how whether Mendes gets a title shot off beating Edgar is relevant to the awesomeness that is Mendes vs. Edgar.

You talk about rematches when it suits your agenda, then you flip the script, then I ask you a simple question and It's suddenly:

hqdefault.jpg

You're being difficult for absolutely no reason. Why make a thread if you don't want to discuss it?

Last edited:
Well Mendes is coming off a loss, and Frankie has only lost to Aldo at 145.

I had a lot of respect for Mendes after the Conor fight, but honestly, the way he has been acting since the fight has changed that.

Before the fight all we heard was "I train year round, I'm ready, I don't need a full camp, blah blah blah".. from him and everyone else. I get you have to say that to sell the fight, but they went beyond that. They truly believed it.

Then when McGregor destroyed him he started to sing a different tune about how with a full camp, he wins the fight.

So with a full camp he wouldn't have been hit by 20+ body shots?

Why the fuck would Edgar want this fight when he's been next in line for a title shot for over a year really? If Edgar did beat Frankie (won't happen), then what? If Aldo beats McGregor, who the hell wants to see Mendes vs Aldo 3 after Mendes lost the first 2?

Conor vs Mendes (if both of them win) can be a big rematch but would be better saved to happen down the line. UFC is always rushing these fights. Chad would be 0-2 against McGregor AND Aldo, and would probably not get a title shot any time in the near future.

It's just a stupid fight.... and Mendes' attitude couldn't be worse. No hint of being humble at all.

After he lost to Aldo he whined about how he was on PEDs. Now post Conor loss he whines about the things that just a few months ago he stated he was in control of (the shape he was in, etc).

Why would anyone want to support someone like that? It honestly seems to me like he is trying to find reasons that he lost as excuses in his own mind. He thinks if he puts it out there in the media over and over, that maybe he can convince people.. when honestly, he can't even convince himself. He knows why he lost. He remembers what his internal organs and his gut felt like when he was getting hit with kick after kick, punch after punch.

He'd gas just as quickly with a full camp after being hit by those shots.

Sorry Chad.. Stop acting like that and people won't hate on you. Be humble in defeat.

Well Mendes is coming off a loss, and Frankie has only lost to Aldo at 145.

I had a lot of respect for Mendes after the Conor fight, but honestly, the way he has been acting since the fight has changed that.

Before the fight all we heard was "I train year round, I'm ready, I don't need a full camp, blah blah blah".. from him and everyone else. I get you have to say that to sell the fight, but they went beyond that. They truly believed it.

Then when McGregor destroyed him he started to sing a different tune about how with a full camp, he wins the fight.

So with a full camp he wouldn't have been hit by 20+ body shots?

Why the fuck would Edgar want this fight when he's been next in line for a title shot for over a year really? If Edgar did beat Frankie (won't happen), then what? If Aldo beats McGregor, who the hell wants to see Mendes vs Aldo 3 after Mendes lost the first 2?

Conor vs Mendes (if both of them win) can be a big rematch but would be better saved to happen down the line. UFC is always rushing these fights. Chad would be 0-2 against McGregor AND Aldo, and would probably not get a title shot any time in the near future.

It's just a stupid fight.... and Mendes' attitude couldn't be worse. No hint of being humble at all.

After he lost to Aldo he whined about how he was on PEDs. Now post Conor loss he whines about the things that just a few months ago he stated he was in control of (the shape he was in, etc).

Why would anyone want to support someone like that? It honestly seems to me like he is trying to find reasons that he lost as excuses in his own mind. He thinks if he puts it out there in the media over and over, that maybe he can convince people.. when honestly, he can't even convince himself. He knows why he lost. He remembers what his internal organs and his gut felt like when he was getting hit with kick after kick, punch after punch.

He'd gas just as quickly with a full camp after being hit by those shots.

Sorry Chad.. Stop acting like that and people won't hate on you. Be humble in defeat.

Good post, I was getting sick of the excuses also.....he's not doing himself any favours....

Conor has knocked Mendes silly.

Making excuses for his Conor loss, crapping all over Edgar. Trying to lose what fans he may have.

I am not going to even try to argue against your stupid ass.

Why would Frankie's management be excited about this fight? It's common sense that Frankie's camp would have push-back for this fight.

Back