Chad Mendes fight with McGregor - Questions

BiC

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Do people really think that 2 weeks notice before the Mcgregor & Mendes fight didn't play a huge influence in the outcome of the fight? The body kicks were certainly was a factor, but after watching the fight again it was clear after the first couple of minutes Mendes was gassed. The UFC gambled on the opportunity that Mendes was not in fight shape, and it was a smart strategy. In order to bury the idea a re-match, they made Mendes later fight Edgar to eliminate one of the two fighters at 145 that have the wrestling pedigree to beat Conor.

While RDA is NOT the same kind of wrestler as Chad Mendes, if he can get Conor to the ground this fight should be interesting. I know there's a lot of people claiming that Mendes taking the fight on 2 weeks notice is just an excuse. I've also seen people talking about the fact that Mendes did a tough mudder a couple of weeks before the fight. Do any of you guys grapple/wrestle/box? There's a significant difference between being in shape and being in shape for combat.

I do not have a prediction for the fight between RDA and Conor, because it's way too close to call. If the fight stays on the feet, I give it to Conor because RDA drops his hands way too often. If the fight goes to the ground, I have confidence RDA could submit Conor. After watching that Mendes fight again, I have complete faith that Mendes would have GSP'ed his way to victory in that fight if he had a reasonable amount of time to prepare for that fight.

"Do people really think that 2 weeks notice before the Mcgregor & Mendes fight didn't play a huge influence in the outcome of the fight?"

Only delusional nuthuggers do.

"Do people really think that 2 weeks notice before the Mcgregor & Mendes fight didn't play a huge influence in the outcome of the fight?"

Only delusional nuthuggers do.

+1 for keeping it real

TS I'm gonna warn you now that you can't speak rationally to Conor fans. Don't even try it. I'm not sure that I'd go as far as to say that Mendes would've won for sure, but clearly the gas tank played a role.

Do people really think that 2 weeks notice before the Mcgregor & Mendes fight didn't play a huge influence in the outcome of the fight? The body kicks were certainly was a factor, but after watching the fight again it was clear after the first couple of minutes Mendes was gassed. The UFC gambled on the opportunity that Mendes was not in fight shape, and it was a smart strategy. In order to bury the idea a re-match, they made Mendes later fight Edgar to eliminate one of the two fighters at 145 that have the wrestling pedigree to beat Conor.

While RDA is NOT the same kind of wrestler as Chad Mendes, if he can get Conor to the ground this fight should be interesting. I know there's a lot of people claiming that Mendes taking the fight on 2 weeks notice is just an excuse. I've also seen people talking about the fact that Mendes did a tough mudder a couple of weeks before the fight. Do any of you guys grapple/wrestle/box? There's a significant difference between being in shape and being in shape for combat.

I do not have a prediction for the fight between RDA and Conor, because it's way too close to call. If the fight stays on the feet, I give it to Conor because RDA drops his hands way too often. If the fight goes to the ground, I have confidence RDA could submit Conor. After watching that Mendes fight again, I have complete faith that Mendes would have GSP'ed his way to victory in that fight if he had a reasonable amount of time to prepare for that fight.

The fight is wrongly used for analysis. It's a clear outlier considering the circumstances of the fight. Here's a possibly incomplete list of what was going on back then.
Chad Mendes:
  • Chad scored 3 of 4 takedowns attempts in rnd 1 and passed guard twice.
  • Chad scored 1 of 3 takedown attempts in rnd 2 (no guard passes).
  • There were no submission attempts (accoring to FightMetric. I remember one guillotine attempt though).
  • Mendes took the fight on 2 weeks notice (and was not training in between camps)
  • McGregor had an 80% ACL tear 14 weeks before the Mendes fight and couldn't drill wrestling during camp. He didn't do sparring as well. [Source:here and here]
  • Mendes suffered a broken thumb in the first round of the fight. [Source]
  • According to Faber, Mendes broke his foot 5 days into his two weeks notice. [Source]

Based on my thread here.

Damn, Mendes really become popular after that. And they talk about Gus.

And no Conor could pulled out of the fight if he wanted. He saved the biggest UFC event ever. While being injured.

What suprises me the most is that mendes fans are dealing with this worse than Aldo fans

TS I'm gonna warn you now that you can't speak rationally to Conor fans. Don't even try it. I'm not sure that I'd go as far as to say that Mendes would've won for sure, but clearly the gas tank played a role.

Sure you can. I appreciate Conor's fighting style, yet I think of myself as being rational.

Chad's short notice probably played into the way the fight happened, and Conor's fucked up knee at the time probably played into it too.

For all we know, Conor with a healthy knee stops takedowns better, and KO's Chad sooner.

Damn, Mendes really become popular after that. And they talk about Gus.

Used to watch Mendes wrestle in Highschool, and followed his college wrestling career at Cal-Poly. He was well known as one of the biggest studs on the wrestling mat back in the day.

P.S. I'm a fan of both McGregor and Mendes

People are still butthurt from the Mendes fight ? Hahahhahahahahhaha.

McGoat is the p4p#1 at rustling jimmies.

Two weeks to train for a wrestler with ACL/MCL injuries and still snatching gold... I take my hat off to the Irishman.

What suprises me the most is that mendes fans are dealing with this worse than Aldo fans

Or some of us actually have experience in combat sports, and look for an unbiased/honest analysis of the fight..

I'm guessing TS is 95% similar to his AV

I'm guessing by the amount that you post here, that there's a 100% chance you would fondle Conor's potato sack. Maybe even gargle it a little bit too.

Conor took the fight on 2 weeks notice with an injury and still won, took what Mendes had to offer and still won, trash talking all the way.

Connor MacGregar was just too good for Ched Mendez.

I'm not a conor fan but there were disadvantages on both sides. Conor just came off a world tour doing endless media obligations, didn't have the proper time to train for the best wrestler in the division and supposedly had a serious knee injury.

Personally I'd like to see the fight again under normal circumstances.

Back