Chad Dawson vs. Jean Pascal

The majority of people are picking Chad Dawson to win this fight.

according to the rings podcast all is not right in dawsons camp

Did they say what kind drama they having, Weight issues, management issues, or what it was.

said it was more an management issue then a training issue.said it came from a trusted source they wouldn't reveal.they believed he would still win but if he would loss he would say he was distracted by the issue

said it was more an management issue then a training issue.said it came from a trusted source they wouldn't reveal.they believed he would still win but if he would loss he would say he was distracted by the issue

Oh, sounds like they just making excuses then. They know that Pascal is a live opponent and in case Dawson looks like Devon this weekend.

Oh, sounds like they just making excuses then. They know that Pascal is a live opponent and in case Dawson looks like Devon this weekend.

its backed up dawson comments about his poor promotion and other comments.dawson still wins tho

its backed up dawson comments about his poor promotion and other comments.dawson still wins tho

Yeah, he should have been hyped more, then this fight would have been a ppv. The LHW is kind of weak right now and him only fighting rematches with Traver and then Johnson didn't help his career. It is heating up now with Cloud, Pasacal and Mack. as opponents for him but after he clean them out what next's for him.

Yeah, he should have been hyped more, then this fight would have been a ppv. The LHW is kind of weak right now and him only fighting rematches with Traver and then Johnson didn't help his career. It is heating up now with Cloud, Pasacal and Mack. as opponents for him but after he clean them out what next's for him.

Hyped more?

On PPV?

Chad Dawson has had as much hype as any fighter I can think of ever since his win over Adamek. First Showtime and now HBO have bent over for him and the sanctioning bodies have pretty much done exactly what he's asked of them... despite that leaving fighters like Diaconu and Cloud out in the cold for a year or longer.

Yet despite all that, despite taking on (and out) two of the let's say three biggest names in the division (Johnson and Tarver... with Hopkins being the other one), despite one of the those fights being pretty exciting (first bout with Johnson) he still can't draw a dime. IIRC his two fights with Tarver (including the fact the first bout was hyped by Showtime pretty much ever since Dawson got the title including the two doing doubleheaders) drew around 3000 people combined. There's a reason the fight is taking place in Pascal's hometown.

Part of that could be due to management but let's be clear: he fought most of his formative bouts in Connecticut and so this should be his home base... yet he barely drew over 5k people for the biggest match of his career against Johnson. Dawson himself has been more than happy to talk down Cloud and Diaconu and why he should face Tarver and Johnson (multiple times) instead... so it's not like his management are completely at fault. More it's that people just don't seem to like Dawson, his style, his seeming arrogance or the way he fucks around with other fighters.

And hyping him even more (if possible) won't help that...

And putting Dawson on PPV would draw about 10k buys...

Hyped more?

On PPV?

Chad Dawson has had as much hype as any fighter I can think of ever since his win over Adamek. First Showtime and now HBO have bent over for him and the sanctioning bodies have pretty much done exactly what he's asked of them... despite that leaving fighters like Diaconu and Cloud out in the cold for a year or longer.

Yet despite all that, despite taking on (and out) two of the let's say three biggest names in the division (Johnson and Tarver... with Hopkins being the other one), despite one of the those fights being pretty exciting (first bout with Johnson) he still can't draw a dime. IIRC his two fights with Tarver (including the fact the first bout was hyped by Showtime pretty much ever since Dawson got the title including the two doing doubleheaders) drew around 3000 people combined. There's a reason the fight is taking place in Pascal's hometown.

Part of that could be due to management but let's be clear: he fought most of his formative bouts in Connecticut and so this should be his home base... yet he barely drew over 5k people for the biggest match of his career against Johnson. Dawson himself has been more than happy to talk down Cloud and Diaconu and why he should face Tarver and Johnson (multiple times) instead... so it's not like his management are completely at fault. More it's that people just don't seem to like Dawson, his style, his seeming arrogance or the way he fucks around with other fighters.

And hyping him even more (if possible) won't help that...

And putting Dawson on PPV would draw about 10k buys...

I see what your saying bout him not being a drawing power, but he could have been promoted a little better.

He could have been on a few PPV undercards or co-headliners early on that would have made him a bigger star. Showtime didn't even ask him to be in the Super Six and he said he would made the 168 limit.

I just think it a shame that one of the best P4P fighters isn't even a big star and I think he should be, although his fights are boring to some people.

I really don't why guys like him and Berto can't sell out their own home town. Sad really. I was happy that Devon was able to this past weekend and I know Ward sells in Oakland.

I see what your saying bout him not being a drawing power, but he could have been promoted a little better.

How? I'm not a huge fan of Shaw but he's done what he could with Dawson

He could have been on a few PPV undercards or co-headliners early on that would have made him a bigger star.

I'm actually against this. I'm a big fan of fighters building a "base" of fans in certain towns... something not helped by fighters ending up going to Las Vegas or wherever to get on the undercard of a bout where there's no live audience and most fans aren't really paying attention. Shaw tried to do that with Dawson... it's just he didn't connect with his audience.

But really, do we think this would have made a difference? Ever since his first real step up bout (vs Harding) all of Dawsons fights (I think... I can't remember if the Mendoza one was...) have been on either Showtime/HBO or PPV with a heavy emphasis on Showtime. It's not like he's an unknown fighter who's suddenly beaten a few people. Appearing on a couple of PPV undercards wouldn't have changed the fact that people don't like him.

Showtime didn't even ask him to be in the Super Six and he said he would made the 168 limit.

1) Dawson's probably burnt his bridges with Showtime at this stage so I can't imagine they'd be too happy to give him more publicity and promotion.

2) Dawson's signed to an exclusive HBO deal (I believe) which probably prevents him from appearing on Showtime. It's not as if Dawson/Kessler is on the scale of Tyson/Lewis where an agreement could be reached...

3) Considering Dawson's track record of pulling out/avoiding mandated fights if I were Showtime I'd be very worried he'd do it mid way through the tournament.

I just think it a shame that one of the best P4P fighters isn't even a big star and I think he should be, although his fights are boring to some people.

Honestly, I quite like it... I hope it's karma for the disgraceful way he treated Diaconu and Cloud.

I really don't why guys like him and Berto can't sell out their own home town. Sad really. I was happy that Devon was able to this past weekend and I know Ward sells in Oakland.

Berto's problem is that he rarely if ever fought in his home town when he was coming up, instead mainly fighting in New York, California and even Arkansas... ironically I think mainly so he could appear on under cards of bigger shows. You can't expect your local audience to really care for you unless you actually fight in front of them. Both Ward and Alexander have done that, regularly fighting in at least their own state if not always their home town.

I am picking Pascal to win by UD.

I am expecting him to play it safe for the first 2 minutes of each round and then attempt to steal them with flurries of punches and quick combinations.

I think Ji-Hoon Kim vs Miguel Vazquez is gonna be the best fight of the weekend, but i will be watching this for sure.

I am picking Pascal to win by UD.

I am expecting him to play it safe for the first 2 minutes of each round and then attempt to steal them with flurries of punches and quick combinations.

I don't think he will be able to pull that off.

Pascal is one of my favs to watch, very exciting..he actually had a good chance to beat Froch..hopefully he can beat boring ass Dawson.

I'm rooting hard for Pascal, but he really has his hands full with Dawson
Anyway, I am pumped for this fight

this is gonna be a good fight pascal is on swol and chad is faster than a cobra

maybe dawson by a splt

And once again HBO Canada won't be showing it.

I don't know why anybody'd subscribe after Bradley vs Abregu, and now Dawson vs Pascal.

I'm sure it has something to do with French broadcasting ppv, but it's sadly ridiculous.

Back