CFB 2020 Discussion: temperature checks at the gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stanford and the P12 will be fine.

I don't know about that. U$C and Oregon will be fine. I wouldn't want to guess where Stanford football will be in 20yrs. No contact in season practice is certainty. I wouldn't be surprised if there are big changes to rules to reduce big hits.

I expect a law suit against one of these schools (with a lot of money) over CTE. They'll say something like, "you had an entire neurology dept that knew about this".

I know it's supposed to be their logo but still...

UT-south-end-zone-construction.jpg

Are those extra private boxes that they added? Probably make more money by removing those cheap student section seats.

I don't know about that. U$C and Oregon will be fine. I wouldn't want to guess where Stanford football will be in 20yrs. No contact in season practice is certainty. I wouldn't be surprised if there are big changes to rules to reduce big hits.

I expect a law suit against one of these schools (with a lot of money) over CTE. They'll say something like, "you had an entire neurology dept that knew about this".
What makes Stanford different from other schools like Northwestern, Duke, Vandy, etc?

This guy did a lot of research and ranked the most valuable football programs right now.

No single metric tells the whole story. But I averaged out each program’s ranking in four different categories to calculate a sensible ranking of the most valuable programs. Here are the categories:
Home attendance: The number of people attending each home is one way to measure the size and passion of a fan base. College Football News calculated the five-year attendance average for every FBS school after the 2019 season.
Market size/share: In 2011, Nate Silver calculated the number of fans of each college football team using market population and survey data. The data might look a little different if redone in 2021, but it’s as strong a methodology for determining the number of fans that I’ve seen.
Valuation: After the 2019 season, the Wall Street Journal calculated how much each college football program would be worth on the open market if it could be bought and sold like a professional sports franchise. The valuations take into account revenues and expenses, along with cash-flow adjustments, risk assessments and growth projections.
Social media following: It’s not perfect, but one easy way to measure the size of each fan base is to look at how many people follow each team on social media. As TV moves over to digital, it’s valuable to look at which teams have the largest followings in the digital space.
I included all 64 Power 5 conference teams, plus Notre Dame and the eight programs most popularly discussed as Big 12 expansion candidates: Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, SMU, UCF and USF.

1. Ohio State
  2. Michigan
  3. Alabama
  4. Texas
  5. Penn State
  6. Notre Dame
  7. LSU
  8. Georgia
  9. Auburn
  10. Texas A&M
  11. Florida
  12. Oklahoma
  13. Tennessee
  14. Clemson
  15. Wisconsin
  16. Nebraska
  17. South Carolina
  18. Iowa
  19. Michigan State
  20. Arkansas
  21. Florida State
  22. Virginia Tech
  23. Southern Cal
  24. Miami
  25. Washington

What makes Stanford different from other schools like Northwestern, Duke, Vandy, etc?

Not a whole lot. One, or more, of those schools will also end the football program.

Condoleezza Rice is a huge football fan, otherwise there would be more talk about this. I see a lot of factors: Stanford ending several sports last year, head injuries/liability, wokeness (oh yes, it's come to Stanford as well), and the general lack of interest by students and alumni.

Sponsorship and re-alignment are just going to be the tipping point. I just don't see Stanford being involved in the pay-to-play, and evolving top level of CFB. ASU, Oregon, and U$C, are the PAC12 schools most likely to follow the evolution of this new CFB. The administration has other focuses. I don't know the inner workings of academic politics at other schools but the total cluster fuck that happened a few months ago with my former lab and the people around it is mind boggling.

I think the school administration is focused on $500m+ donations (from individual people) and building a $4B hospital in Singapore (or something equivalent).

@RollSonnenRoll From Chuck Oliver’s podcast today: “Sankey sat right next to the Big 12 commish for 6 months to talk about playoff expansion and the whole time he was negotiating with Scott Hall and Kevin Nash.”

B10 will add Kansas and Iowa St since they're AAU members. ACC will relent and add WVU. Pac will add everyone else left over from the B12.

no chance Kansas/Iowa St comes. If some ACC moves happen, B1G is gonna go all out for UVA/UNC/Duke.

no chance Kansas/Iowa St comes. If some ACC moves happen, B1G is gonna go all out for UVA/UNC/Duke.
Dirt sheets are saying KU is a done deal.

People need to understand that FSU was about to drop football before they hired Bowden. He built them up from almost nothing and truly did play anyone, anywhere in those earlier days. They'd play a program like LSU or Nebraska or Ohio St 5 or 6 times on the road before finally getting a return home game. FSU finished in the top 5 of both polls 14 years in a row and that will never be done again (even Saban Bama has only done that 5 in a row).

He grew up as a Bama fan and wanted the job in 87 but your president said he'd have to interview first.

Last edited:
People need to understand that FSU was about to drop football before they hired Bowden. He built them up from almost nothing and truly did play anyone, anywhere in those earlier days. They'd play a program like LSU or Nebraska or Ohio St 5 or 6 times on the road before finally getting a return home game. FSU finished in the top 5 of both polls 14 years in a row and that will never be done again (even Saban Bama has only done that 5 in a row).

He grew up as a Bama fan and wanted the job in 87 but your president said he'd have to interview first.
I loved those FSU teams. The Miami rivalry was fantastic and him and spurrier was great banter. My sister went to FSU in the early 90s and then became a cop in Tallahassee and would work security at the stadium so we went to a lot of games. Got to meet him many times and every time he was as nice as you could be. Treated everyone like he was their grandpa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back