Cesar Gracie Speaks out against "fake belts"

Of course the level of BJJ at the top level is better. I'm talking about the belt inflation.
How do you figure? Some have said Royce at the UFC stage is a blue or purple by todays standard. I dont believe this but some do.

Anyway, videos, larger numbers of athletes, some with Judo or wrestling already can all make it seem that way.

How do you figure? Some have said Royce at the UFC stage is a blue or purple by todays standard. I dont believe this but some do.

Anyway, videos, larger numbers of athletes, some with Judo or wrestling already can all make it seem that way.

well that was according to Marc Laimon. He said that Royce look like a blue belt while in the cage against Matt Hugh! :icon_neut

best swimmer that never got wet.

well that was according to Marc Laimon. He said that Royce look like a blue belt while in the cage against Matt Hugh! :icon_neut

LOL, very true

I do not think it is about lying from either party.

It seems that some of Cesar students left and got promoted by the other club.

very typical and you can see it all the time.

we call them gymwhores, gymhoppers, creonte.

The Royce thing sounds crazy to me. I don't see how one could judge that under those circumstances and with that very random opposition.

I talk about belt inflation because of two things:

1) Black belt are being given to pure nogi grapplers and MMA fighters who don't even train with the gi. In essense, that is giving BJJ BBs to people based on their submission wrestling. It's not really the same sport.

2) Academies are adding belts and stripes, making fastlane timelines for belt progression etc.

I'm sure it's at least partially unavoidable as a sport crashes into the mainstream.

I don't mean to hijack this thread with my important observation, but:

Quick promoter or not, this guy has the nicest logo I have ever seen. Holy crap that's a quality logo.

Crispim-BJJ-Barra-Brothers-Brazilian-Jiu-Jitsu_9327_image.JPG

I dont like it that much to be honest. Too many different styles and themes going on for me.

I dont like it that much to be honest. Too many different styles and themes going on for me.

I feel that they tie in well together. The "C" is a blackbelt brush stroke that goes well with the stylized "barra brothers" text.

The triangle is a solid, contemporary design that matches well with that crisp serif font.

And the purple and black gradient adds color interest to the design while tying everything together.

As for cross training if you beleive the Rickson Gracie FAQ thread the info there clearly states that the "all father" of GJJ does not believe corsstraining is needed, just GJJ yet you can go online and find pics of him in singlets.

I kinda got the feeling he was talking more about cross training in striking arts.

I kinda got the feeling he was talking more about cross training in striking arts.

Personally, I think Rickson has a point. If you are primarily a wrestler/groundfighter, why waste time trying to learn striking when you are never going to be as good as a guy who came up striking? Instead, use the time to work on your takedowns so you can get the fight on the ground. I'm not saying to learn no striking, but I think guys would be better served drilling wrestling and judo takedowns rather than doing tons of thai stuff that they won't be using on anyone but other sub standard strikers.

Marc Laimon and Carlson...:icon_twis

Carlson... Belfort... people in glass houses...

i think that is a bit harsh, yes he doesn't have a pedigree of high level achievement in sports bjj and he is hindered by the fact he has a brother who is universally hailed as the ne plus ultra of BJJ (Rickson) and another who is p4p maybe the greatest of the past 20 years (Royler), but arguably it is not just Royce but also Rolker, Robin and Rorion who on paper were not elite sports BJJ practioners (obviously they did excel at other aspects of the art).

true enough but Laimon once beat Brennan, Monson and Lister in the same day at a GQ West - Royce and indeed Hughes and Serra would only be able to do that during REM sleep.

Personally, I think Rickson has a point. If you are primarily a wrestler/groundfighter, why waste time trying to learn striking when you are never going to be as good as a guy who came up striking? Instead, use the time to work on your takedowns so you can get the fight on the ground. I'm not saying to learn no striking, but I think guys would be better served drilling wrestling and judo takedowns rather than doing tons of thai stuff that they won't be using on anyone but other sub standard strikers.

What happens if you then have to fight someone with better BJJ but instead of takedowns focused on standup so they are better in both fields whilst you are only superior with the takedown? Also learning striking allows you to close the distance better and understand how to defend it. Even strikers have to learn BJJ in order to defend against it, same kinda goes for grapplers but it is obviously less important (atleast to some extent).

Barra Brothers is affiliated with Ralph, or made up of many of his BB's, correct?

true enough but Laimon once beat Brennan, Monson and Lister in the same day at a GQ West - Royce and indeed Hughes and Serra would only be able to do that during REM sleep.

Umm... Serra got second at ADCC, and has steller Jiu Jitsu. And IIRC, hes not the one who didnt want to roll against Laimon.

Umm... Serra got second at ADCC, and has steller Jiu Jitsu. And IIRC, hes not the one who didnt want to roll against Laimon.

ok he beat leo santos and gomi and was then in what looks like a work with jj machado and stepped aside for feitosa - that doesn't really have any relevance to my belief he couldn't achieve the same feat and beat those 3 named guys in the same day (heck Brennan to one side, couldn't beat monson or lister ever).

Last edited:

serra throw that match because renzo asked him to. it is thought that serra would have won.

also, serra beat gsp whether it was fluke or not. laimon would not even step in the octagon even during rem sleep.

and laimon did pussy out when serra challenged him.

so i guess laimon is also better in the dick tucking department.

serra throw that match because renzo asked him to. it is thought that serra would have won.

also, serra beat gsp whether it was fluke or not. laimon would not even step in the octagon even during rem sleep.

and laimon did pussy out when serra challenged him.

so i guess laimon is also better in the dick tucking department.

5b9cc311c21a6ad8553941e021fae7de.bmp
Laimon?

You can put whatever belt you want around your waist but at the end of the day it's about the accomplishments (technical knowledge, tournament wins, MMA fights, very good students, etc....) Go earn some of those things and then come to me to demand respect.

Back