Cesar Gracie Speaks out against "fake belts"

As an outsider looking in, it looks like students are being lured to Crispim's school with the promise of quick promotions. Which is what a lot of schools offer these days to get people to sign contracts. Before I joined the school I'm at now, I went to a school that was primarily Krav Maga with some grappling thrown in and the dude told me that my vast past experience(I took the GB self defense classes) would earn me a blue belt in their system if I signed. I knew I sucked so out the door i went.

As an outsider looking in, it looks like students are being lured to Crispim's school with the promise of quick promotions. Which is what a lot of schools offer these days to get people to sign contracts. Before I joined the school I'm at now, I went to a school that was primarily Krav Maga with some grappling thrown in and the dude told me that my vast past experience(I took the GB self defense classes) would earn me a blue belt in their system if I signed. I knew I sucked so out the door i went.

That's pretty much what is on almost every Lloyd Irvin advertisement. He does produce winners though.

this is probably the sort of thing that should be kept off the internet.

well, i am going to assume that ceser and crispim are in a close enough vacinity that they will end up competing against each other at comps then you will really see who is legit or not.

If this stuff that cesar says is true, how is this guy not getting his ass kicked by cesar or one of the mayhem stompers?

and as far as someone saying they tend not to believe what a "gracie" says is pretty fucked up as they brought us bjj and of course there are bullshitters like Whorian but there are also standup guys like Renzo.

No its not F'd up.

I have read and heard enough to take it all with a grain of salt.

You hear and read "undefeated for 100 years" or whatever that claim is and find out false.

You hear or read "with GJJ no crosstraining needed" only to see several of the 1st family competiting in other styles, hence crosstraining.

Recently vale tudo hero's are coming to light that were never given credit in the past, all to promote a system and make money.

Not that they do not deserve to make an HONEST living and reap the rewards of success but I have seen and read enough to understand that there IS an agenda and if you ignore that you ignore that fact that several claims are exaggerated or flat out false.

I was one of the 1st to jump on board with the hype only to learn that certain gracies held back instruction, a SHAME if you were a pying student back in that day.

I appreciate the style, I appreciate the contributions but the used car salesman I can live without.

As an outsider looking in, it looks like students are being lured to Crispim's school with the promise of quick promotions. Which is what a lot of schools offer these days to get people to sign contracts.

As an outsider looking in, you are simply believing what Cesar and his student who started the string posted. Check out crispim's website www.CrispimBJJ.com- where in that is there ANY promise of quick promotions. Where is there ANY suggestion of that anywhere except on Cesar's forum? In fact, Crispim follows the IBJJF philosophy on belt promotions.

Personally, I think that the last verbal attack that Cesar and his students put on the internet wasn't successful in hurting Crispim's reputation, so now, they are coming with something else. And, I expect that in 3-6 months, we will all be back on sherdog talking about something else that Cesar is accusing Crispim of. But, in the end, when people actually make their own opinions on personal experience, Crispim's reputation will not be tarnished. Have fun all and train hard.

I went to Crispims school this morning.....I got a purple belt just for shacking his hand.

None of this would matter but I would hate to see Jiu-jitsu become a joke like a lot of martial arts have in this country. If this continues we will be seeing in a few years time what happened in other arts with their 7 year old black belts, etc.. happening in BJJ as well. This will kill the legacy and the tradition I and many others have committed our lives to.

I honestly think he is too late with his worries. BJJ HAS gone into those territories. A BJJ BB isn't anywhere near what it was 10 years ago.

I honestly think he is too late with his worries. BJJ HAS gone into those territories. A BJJ BB isn't anywhere near what it was 10 years ago.

Bro thats because 10 years ago BJJ was new and no one new about posture, passing and what to watch for.

The same way the Gracies fought wrestlers, karteka, Judoka, Luta Livre guys and the rest others have now had the chance to do the same.

In the process people do several things:

Amazingly they LEARN!
They also crosstrain, just like the Gracies did.
They develop gameplans.

I would argue that the level of BJJ is better NOW than ever.
We have the Rogers,Jacare's, Marcello's,Popovich's and so on and so forth that continue to wow us.

It's just the rest of the world is at least wise to the game, whether or not they can do something about it is another matter entirely.

No its not F'd up.

You hear and read "undefeated for 100 years" or whatever that claim is and find out false.

You hear or read "with GJJ no crosstraining needed" only to see several of the 1st family competiting in other styles, hence crosstraining.

Recently vale tudo hero's are coming to light that were never given credit in the past, all to promote a system and make money.

Not that they do not deserve to make an HONEST living and reap the rewards of success but I have seen and read enough to understand that there IS an agenda and if you ignore that you ignore that fact that several claims are exaggerated or flat out false.

I was one of the 1st to jump on board with the hype only to learn that certain gracies held back instruction, a SHAME if you were a pying student back in that day.

I appreciate the style, I appreciate the contributions but the used car salesman I can live without.

Just because you didn't know about guys like Euclides Pereria doesn't mean they were unknown. Blaming the Gracies for him being unknown in the US is insane. The Gracies as a collective group have taken a ton of crap on various BJJ boards blaming them for things they have no control over.

Secondly, its stupid to say "The Gracies" as if they are some sort of Borg collective. There are factions and such within a very large family. Some Gracies are dicks, others are cool. Acting as if they take orders from some central command is beyond silly. And the "No crosstraining" thing is, again, some of the Gracies. Others have crosstrained in different things their whole lives.

this is so messed up if it's true. I'm bustin my ass 4-6 times a week and getting my assed kicked and everytime I end up gassed and not being able to breathe at every single class. But I keep fighting and i still don't tap out easily. The average wait time rumors at my school is 2 years for blue belt. I have no stripes yet, but when I do get my blue belt, i know that I trained enough time to have earned it.

what's the big deal they will all be exposed eventually and his business will eventually crumble if he is doing what u r saying he is doing

this problem will take care of itself

What kind of instructor just give a belt to someone he just trained for 3 weeks!

6824_1263201142651_1308399998_30785.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm at school, I can't laugh!

Just because you didn't know about guys like Euclides Pereria doesn't mean they were unknown. Blaming the Gracies for him being unknown in the US is insane. The Gracies as a collective group have taken a ton of crap on various BJJ boards blaming them for things they have no control over.

Secondly, its stupid to say "The Gracies" as if they are some sort of Borg collective. There are factions and such within a very large family. Some Gracies are dicks, others are cool. Acting as if they take orders from some central command is beyond silly. And the "No crosstraining" thing is, again, some of the Gracies. Others have crosstrained in different things their whole lives.

I understand that. But from the get go they were represented a certain way and no one was falling over themselves to correct the issues.

As for Euclides certainly the Gracies did not prop him up, nor should they have but again it was represented that the family was "unbeaten" for a jillion years when obviously that was not true.

As for cross training if you beleive the Rickson Gracie FAQ thread the info there clearly states that the "all father" of GJJ does not believe corsstraining is needed, just GJJ yet you can go online and find pics of him in singlets.

What I am saying is it is not just whorerion that tries to use play action fakes in the family.

Anyway that is not what this thread is about, it is about one BJJ teacher calling out another publicly and then it being posted in a grappling forum.

Instead of blindly believing this info I am suggesting that anyone close by visit the location and roll for a month and see how it goes.
That was the essence of my Gracie post.

No its not F'd up.

whatever.

believe what you want.

I like the gracie barra side, not the gjj side which seems to be who you do not like.

ok, so i said that there are some bad gracies and believe me I hate rorian and his rener and that other dude.

but what I am saying is that there are gracies who are good and not dipshit salesmen.

So do you think that Roger and Renzo are douches?

But if you are saying that anyone named gracie is a douche/bullhshit/money hungry/technique holder back then you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

Not saying that at all. But I would proceed with caution anyway.

Especially when the info can easily be investigated, like in this case.

I went to Crispims school this morning.....I got a purple belt just for shacking his hand.

Oh you sure you dont have a brown belt? i mean with all this shit coming out of you and all.

His own school is comprised of many students that "earned" their blue belts in less than 3 months and then got promoted to brown within 1 year's time.
on post #23 we have a first hand account statement which falsifies the claims made in post number 1 yet nobody is taking that into account.

Crispim is close with a lot of Ralph Gracie black belt, and i am sure if this was true, he would be getting A LOT OF SHIT from them.

And also about even if an experienced whitebelt comes into crispim's gym and gets promoted to 3 months, and the fact that when you switch gyms you dont promote people because of loyalty to the gym or whatever... well as a BB, a RALPH GRACIE black belt for the matter, Crispim can choose to promote someone if he feels like they are ready, and maybe in that 3 months he got to know the guy very well (esp with the attention to each person knox says crispim gives) and that was enough loyalty for him.. I mean if someone leaves a gym and goes to another, and has no intent on going back to original gym and plans on staying at new gym for a long time, should he be held back from being promoted even though he is very well deserving of a belt?

I am on the East Coast so I am not familiar with Crispin. I have heard of Cesar Gracie though, of course.

Anyway call me naive, but immediately I believed Cesar Gracie because why would he lie about something and try to make someone else look like this if it's not true? However, after hearings Knox's opinion, and the other person who trains there I will have to second guess Cesar and just say maybe there is some kind of political agenda.

Then again, maybe the posters here are lying. Not saying that I actually think that but just saying it to be neutral.

I will just ignore it and shrug my shoulders to the whole thing.

Bro thats because 10 years ago BJJ was new and no one new about posture, passing and what to watch for.

The same way the Gracies fought wrestlers, karteka, Judoka, Luta Livre guys and the rest others have now had the chance to do the same.

In the process people do several things:

Amazingly they LEARN!
They also crosstrain, just like the Gracies did.
They develop gameplans.

I would argue that the level of BJJ is better NOW than ever.
We have the Rogers,Jacare's, Marcello's,Popovich's and so on and so forth that continue to wow us.

It's just the rest of the world is at least wise to the game, whether or not they can do something about it is another matter entirely.

Of course the level of BJJ at the top level is better. I'm talking about the belt inflation.

Back