Certifications & What They Mean

If you are going to get your masters you might as well get your PhD. In most schools if you do research you get a stipend and tuition waver to go to school. You do not need a masters to get a PhD. Plus a masters is similar (somtimes the same) classes and you don't get paid and have to pay to go to school. Only benefit of a masters is it is 2 years instead of 4.

I dunno, if you add it up I think a PhD is much better. That is just to get paid more though. I think you can learn as much functional knoweldge from reading and getting certs. Some of those certs are hard, I know a PhD who was afraid to take the latest strength and conditioning test because it was supposed to be so hard. It was by ACSM I think.

I think certification is mainly important to trainers because it gets you in a higher pay bracket. However, for me personally, i took a 2 weekend course through Can Fit Pro (canadian company) and easily got a job. It was only my years in powerlifting and gym training that made me think i could train others (can fit didnt really help) But when i got dertified through the NSCA, i learned so much and it was worth every penny. I plan on floowing in the footsteps of my football coach and becaome the strength and conditiong coach for a team. However, since im still in university and havent gotten my degree, i cant apply for the CSCS. As soon as i graduate im getting my CSCS because in the coaching world, thats like PHD in S&C. This is a good thread. hope you guys learn something.

Rjkd12 said:
If you are going to get your masters you might as well get your PhD. In most schools if you do research you get a stipend and tuition waver to go to school. You do not need a masters to get a PhD. Plus a masters is similar (somtimes the same) classes and you don't get paid and have to pay to go to school. Only benefit of a masters is it is 2 years instead of 4.

Yeah, true.

I know a lot of CSCS's with Masters, but that may be because many of them were educated in the UC system, and with the state fees and opportunity cost factored in, the two-year for them was more financially sensible.

You know, it's funny, because English is such a joke at the undergraduate level, but the Ph.D.'s just didn't sleep. All they did was read, and NOBODY at NYU completes their Ph.D. for English in under five years. The average was six, and many took seven, although my writing instructor and close friend (a Ph.D. candidate) told me they frowned on taking more than seven.

Rjkd12 said:
Some of those certs are hard, I know a PhD who was afraid to take the latest strength and conditioning test because it was supposed to be so hard. It was by ACSM I think.

He's probably going for the RCEP (Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist).

I considered pursuing the ACSM's HFI (Health/Fitness Instructor), but if I got the CSCS, that would just be overkill. But my boss did tell me their book is AMAZING for evaluating someone's fitness level- for any goal: rehabilitative, fitness, athletic...

ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing & Prescription
ACSM's Resource Manual for Guidelines for Exercise Testing & Prescription

Edit: Double Post

Gotta love work on a UFC night.

*Sigh*....

Back