Cerrone's cave diving experience and its effect on his mental state in the Octagon

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by sonofjay817, Sep 1, 2018.

1. sonofjay817

sonofjay817 Brown Belt

I just got through listening to Cowboy describe his cave diving near death experience on the JRogan podcast, and man...the guy can tell a story, super intense. Afterwards, it got me to thinking, after staring death in the face, I wonder if this could have a lasting impact on his psychology to the extent that it helps him when he's fighting. Obviously, he's notorious for being weak mentally, and especially so when his opponent is the hostile and angry type. I was thinking about putting a little on Platinum in their upcoming fight for this very reason. If Cowboy has a new mentality, it could change everything. Perry is just the kind of fighter you really have to keep your cool with because he's strong and scary but his skillset, while good, is the :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: in his armor. He makes up for it with ferocity and for that, you need a technician which is what Cowboy is WHEN he's not shook. So, if he stays calm and focused, I believe the mental edge strongly swings back to Cerrone. Perry just made a video where he was bemoaning the fact that he will have to try to go in and kill someone who was "kind to him". Also, he may have the added baggage of seeing Cowboy as the superior fighter since they've been working out as he was still developing his skills.Just some thoughts I had. I'd love to hear you guys' opinion.

mikebkr, ANIM4L, BearGrounds and 7 others like this.
  2. ortizgnp

ortizgnp Original Vince Belt

Joe Rogan was STUNNED listening to that shit

3. Diunx

Diunx Banned Banned

Cowboy is a great story teller that shit gave me chills, he is gonna kill Perry after going through that Cowboy wont be scare of anything anyone brings.

4. King Pun**

King Pun** Blue Belt

I figured he was good at some cave diving because he sure escaped that hellhole gym.

5. sonofjay817

sonofjay817 Brown Belt

Yeah, we'll see. The mental aspect was the only reason I was going to wager on Platinum. I think I'll just leave it alone now..lol.

6. locust rising

locust rising The mirror collapses but the image does not

Plus this is post-Dmt microdosing mushrooms Cowboy now

OG with Lawn dust likes this.
  7. sonofjay817

sonofjay817 Brown Belt

all jokes aside, that could play a role. I didn't know he had been doing that although I remember Rogan evangelizing him about it.

8. Threetrees

Threetrees F*ck Trump Belt

Rogan got him on that sweet sweet DMT life a couple years ago

FireKidWS likes this.
  9. locust rising

locust rising The mirror collapses but the image does not

He talked about it a lot in the same episode.
    If cowboy looks killer in the fight we can call him Microdosing Mushrooms Cowboy.

10. Flex Plexico

Flex Plexico customized Gucci accessories

the thing is, he’s almost died before, years ago

he tells another story where he wakes up on a hospital bed holding a bowl of his own intestines after a motocross accident or something

11. Rear Nakey

Rear Nakey Green Belt

He will get his wish and have another near death experience, this time in a cage.

FireKidWS likes this.
  12. acannxr

acannxr Black Belt

Two weeks before he fought Jeremy Stephens at UFC on Fuel TV 3, Donald Cerrone was in the hospital.

“I rolled my intestines,” Cerrone told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “From my surgery years ago, I have a lot of intestinal and stomach problems still to this day, and I was in the ICU and they almost had to do surgery on me.”

The initial injury from years back was a nasty one.

“I was racing some motocross and I wrecked real bad and just kind of spilled my guts out,” Cerrone said. “They had to take a bunch of my intestines and part of my stomach. What happened this time is, my stomach basically rolled around the intestine. Man, talk about pain. It was like someone was stabbing me. Oh, it was so brutal. I had to go to the ER, and basically they had to empty all of my intestines out and then rush water down my stomach and try to get it to unspin, kind of like a garden hose. If you have a kink in the hose, you run water and the pressure will cause it to unravel. It worked, so thank God.”

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/De...ne-Insisted-on-Fighting-Jeremy-Stephens-43035

Personally I think this is why he's more vulnerable to shots to the body, dude is missing 50 feet of intestines and half his stomach :eek:.

13. papajohns

papajohns Purple Belt

I cant think of anything more terrifying then being stuck in a cave not being able to see. It would be exciting but hell no to swimming down into a small cave.

14. FireKidWS

FireKidWS TheMeanStreets

Poor Cowboy.

Escaped death narrowly only to fight death incarnate weeks later.

15. froggyluv

froggyluv Purple Belt

fixed.

Intense near death experience -war cowboy!

16. Juventud

Juventud Black Belt

Guy sounds like he's lost it.

Way more erratic than he was on the 1st time with Rogan.

Brain damage and the JacksonMMA gym split has sent him loopy.

17. sonofjay817

sonofjay817 Brown Belt

Good point. That may or may not be relevant. I think it depends on his awareness of his situation before it was under control. I mean, if he wasn't aware he was in such bad shape until he woke up after surgery, he didn't really have the same transformational experience of staring death in the face to the point of planning out your death letter to your family. Those moments in the cave when he thought it was really all over, that will cause a man to reflect on things in a way that's hard for someone to conceive who hasn't been in such a situation.

Flex Plexico likes this.
  18. Drugstore Cowboy

Drugstore Cowboy RIP Sweet Pea ♥ 

<YeahOKJen>

19. surgeyou1

surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

That's just a sudden accident. Shock and adrenaline.

This cave dive was a slow acceptance of your impending doom. He was literally considering writing a suicide note to his family.

sonofjay817 and Flex Plexico like this.
  20. HI SCOTT NEWMAN

HI SCOTT NEWMAN Steel Belt Cat ✔

Being trapped in a underwater cave is one of my biggest fears, or being trapped in anything. I am very claustrophobic. I couldn't even imagine how awful it must be. I know I would faint lol

Silverstar17 likes this.