Cerrone will not fare well at 170

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by VroomyJeeps, Feb 17, 2016.

1. VroomyJeeps

VroomyJeeps Brown Belt

I don't see Cerrone doing well at 170 and I think a return to 155 is inevitable.

Right now he's fighting lower mid tier guys but I wouldn't pick him to beat anyone in the top 15, and would probably pick most guys in the top 30 to beat him.

170 is just insanely deep you have guys like Warlley Alves, Jouban, Thiago Alves, Lombard, Gastelum, Laflare etcc who aren't even in the top 15-20.

I just don't think Cerrone is good enough to beat most these guys.

Anyone else feel this way? I would pick 90% of the guys in the top 30 over him right now.

2. honzo

honzo Brown Belt

Donald is a bit of a joke

3. MarkyMcFly

MarkyMcFly Silver Belt

It's hard to tell. We don't know how he'll do with the added weight and (obviously) easier weight cut. He's not going to be smaller than any of them, height wise, really. Maybe an inch or two here and there.

Hell, maybe the extra pounds will help pad those body shots for him lol

4. Quinton Fields

Quinton Fields Banned Banned

Alan Jouban only gets mentioned because he's #1 dime piece, Gastelum is in the top 15, Lombard would be too if he didn't get suspended, I would have picked Means over Cerrone though, I can see Cerrone to bellator by the end of 2016.

5. MarkyMcFly

MarkyMcFly Silver Belt

Jesus Christ....you lose in your title shot after 8 straight wins in a year and a half and you're a joke who's going to be out of the promotion in a year. Lol you guys man..

6. SalvadorAllende

SalvadorAllende Paper belt

Thiago Alves is #13, Gastelum is #12 and Lombard is unranked just for inactivity. He is a solid top 10 guy, maybe top 5.

7. theincognito

theincognito Brown Belt

Too many good grapplers at 170 and though Cerrone is a good submission artist, these are the types that will defend submissions and smother. I'm talking about the likes of Woodley, DHK, Hendricks, Maia, etc. Cerrone's run to get the title shot was lacking top grappling opponents.

Besides that, he won't even be one of the best strikers at WW.

8. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

How are Lombard and Gastelum and others you named not top 15 let alone top 20?

Gastelum and Lonabrd are surely top 15 probably top 10 even.

I think LW is the deepest division but yes i don't think Cerrone will do well at WW. He is tall enough but lanky and at WW he won't have the same height7reach advantage he will be average in that regard and fight against some guys taller than him and his style is based on his height let alone the difference in strength and power at WW

9. Son of Jamin

Son of Jamin Make MMA Great Again

Sadly, a fighter is only as a good as his last fight's result around these parts.

10. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

Honestly the dude can lose to anyone. Anyone with power can knock him out unless he plays it safe. If he plays conservative he for sure could beat top 15 opponents

11. MMAViewer

MMAViewer Black Belt

I think he will do just fine. I don't see him getting a title shot or holding the belt but I see him in the top 15. Same with Benson if he had stayed.
    I don't see him going to any other organizations before the end of this year.

12. VroomyJeeps

VroomyJeeps Brown Belt

8 straight wins but 170 is a different weight class and arguably the deepest in mma history. I'm not saying he sucks but when you analyze his skills, size and power and compare it to the guys in the top 30 at welterweight it doesn't look good for him

13. LouisBolanos

LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good

You can cross that first name out. He's going to face the Sage slayer and he's not coming out of it alive.

14. Cry0Therapy737

Cry0Therapy737 Brown Belt

I'm pretty sure he's only fighting at 170 to stay active he doesn't have any serious title aspirations, guy just wants to be active, fight and get paid.

Why people dislike Cowboy I don't know, in an age where people choose to sit out and protect their brand or sit on the title or stay injured we should be praising guys like Cowboy who wanna get in there and give us a good show.

15. KrausersRevenge

KrausersRevenge Free from ignorance. Platinum Member

Show some respect, he's an elite lightweight fighter.

I expect him him to return to 155 after this either way.

16. VroomyJeeps

VroomyJeeps Brown Belt

I think he would have some good fights witg fringe top 20-25 guys like Larkin, Cote, Breeze, Usman etc but I'm not even sure I would pick him in those fights.

17. DizzyYeahYeah

DizzyYeahYeah Red Belt

Lombard got popped, so he got dropped from the rankings but TS doesn't really make sense.

18. El Fernas

El Fernas Red Belt

Is he staying at WW? Because Cowboy Oliveira is actually a LW too, he isnt exactly a small LW, or short at least, add some bulk and he might do ok at WW.

19. VroomyJeeps

VroomyJeeps Brown Belt

I didn't realize Thiago Alves was still in the top 15, he really has no business being there right now. I also thought Gastelum was dropped. apparently I was wrong. my point still stands unless you're going to name the fighters you think he can beat.

maybe Thiago Alves but I think he's only ranked due to being out so long (somehow that makes sense)

20. Sonny Qc

Sonny Qc Gold Belt

I don't think he will do well eat 170. but can certainly be in the top 15. Cerrone is a hell of a fighter