Cerrone vs Pettis.

lol at Pettis "barely" hanging with Bendo. Jesus you are biased. Out grappling and out striking someone equals "barely hanging in".

Even if what you said was true(which it isn't even close to). I'd rather barely hang in there(by out striking and out grappling my opponent) than this

submissions_Ben_Henderson_Guillotines_Cowboy_Cerrone_WEC_48.gif
a) yes i am biased i live on cowboys ranch and have trained with him for coming up on two years. i have watched him spar with guys like clay guida and diego sanchez as well as carlos and melvin and always he dominates them. the guy is a beast in the gym and especially over the last year when he picked up mike valle as his muay thai coach he has been making great steps in his use of striking in mma. wrestling in reverse also has been a strong point of focus and increased his confidence in his ability to throw with abandon. i have complete belief in his ability to win this fight.
b) watch the first fight.
c) i guess barely hanging in there is not the right way to put it would you be ok with "it was a closely contested fight that could have swung either way before the showtime kick"?

a) yes i am biased i live on cowboys ranch and have trained with him for coming up on two years. i have watched him spar with guys like clay guida and diego sanchez as well as carlos and melvin and always he dominates them. the guy is a beast in the gym and especially over the last year when he picked up mike valle as his muay thai coach he has been making great steps in his use of striking in mma. wrestling in reverse also has been a strong point of focus and increased his confidence in his ability to throw with abandon. i have complete belief in his ability to win this fight.
b) watch the first fight.
c) i guess barely hanging in there is not the right way to put it would you be ok with "it was a closely contested fight that could have swung either way before the showtime kick"?

I've seen the first fight actually fought Cowboy won but it was also a very closely contested fight. Somehow I doubt you think Cowboy "barely hung in there".

Also Pettis was winning the fight with or without the Showtime kick. He clearly won the last 3 rounds.

The competition has not been equal. Cerrone was embarrased by Diaz and beat at him own game.

Pettis on the other hand lost too Guida by as bad a lay and pray as you will ever see. And Pettis obviously learned from that because in his next fight, Stephens absolutely refused to stand with pettis and tried to wrestle Pettis. Showing an improved all around game and fighter IQ, Pettis ended up out wrestling Stephens. That was very impressive because no one though Pettis had any wrestling. Pettis than wrecked Lauzon.

Cerrone fought a bunch of mid tier fighters. Would it really be that more impressive if Pettis had beat Vagner, Paul Kelly, Olivera, and Siver? What would any of those fights had proved? Pettis of course beats them just as convincingly at Cerrone.

My argument that Pettis is a beater fighter/striker is because Pettis has hardly been challenged standing. His opponents avoid it at all cost and he has beat a top fighter. Cerrone gets tagged every fight and eventually it will cost him. He gets tagged constantly for being such a great striker.
he was no more embarrassed than pettis in losing to guida. he may have wrecked them or he may not have its pure speculation especially on the siver one because the guy was pretty competitive in that department. less probably because pettis was supposed to be unbeatable and got dominated. look pettis has not face strikers consistently. so of course he would not be outstruck. thats kind of like saying gsp would get outwrestled by carlos because carlos knocked out a couple wretlers in mcdonald and kim. not exactly but you get my point i hope. beating someone at YOUR game does not impress me. outwrestling stephens was a feather in the cap for old pettis but cowboy sprawled on him easily so it should be fun to see who holds the edge if the standup should become to much for either of them.

I've seen the first fight actually fought Cowboy won but it was also a very closely contested fight. Somehow I doubt you think Cowboy "barely hung in there".

Also Pettis was winning the fight with or without the Showtime kick. He clearly won the last 3 rounds.
no the first one was another that could have gone either way. and i know you think pettis clearly won but i mean that fight was razor close. he may have won without the kick but it could also have been hendersons fight. i want to see the rematch desperately but if i am to be right on this fight it has to wait. anyhow like i said i like pettis and think he is good definitely an upper tier fighter but he has yet to really prove himself against another striker. i clearly favor cerrone and you clearly favor pettis. my logic seems sound to me yours seems sound to you. in the end the fight will prove us right or wrong but coming into the one thing that really stands out to me is the nature of their past opposition. it is impossible to really know how they match up if cerrones aggression will overmatch pettis technicality or if pettis creativity will exploit cowboy's poor defences. one way or another this should be a great fight. i like that you brought a legitimate argument to the table with the defense and respect you much more for that.

nobody needs to bring up bendo in a cerrone v pettis thread. bendo is champ, pettis is not. bendo is top dog and pettis has fought half the ufc fights he has. and as much as i want bendo/pettis rematch..... WAR COWBOY!!

They're both very skilled, I'll be rooting for Pettis but I'm expecting a very entertaining fight no matter who wins...definitely one of the fights that I'm looking forward to most.

This is a tough fight to pick. I want Pettis to win, so we can see the Bendo rematch. But I'm leaning toward Cerrone winning a decision. I don't think Pettis has really been that active and is coming off surgery. Cerrone has been non stop in the UFC and has pretty good momentum coming into this fight, knocking Guillard out. Pettis has only really looked good against Lauzon inside the octagon.

I don't know, man. This should be one hell of a war though. Can't wait.

I hope my man Cerrone takes it, a very tough fight for both fighters.
It will be a great fight regardless.

Pettis gave that split decision against Stephens and Cowboy lost to Nate Diaz. Both of their styles are very similar. This is gonna be a good one for sure'

Back