Cerrone vs Pettis.

Cerrone is a gritty well rounded fighter, but Pettis is the superior striker and I don't think Cerrone's pride will let him take the fight to the ground.

i could see pettis either knocking him the fuck out, taking him to a decision and beating him worse than diaz, or cerrone pulling a hail mary sub

cowboy possesses a considerable power advantage in the kicks and although not as diverse as pettis or as flashy I think he is more effective with them. hands may be equal or pettis may have an advantage by a very slight margin. but cowboy does mix it up better with his knees and although he showed poor head movement (and everything else) against diaz its been improving drastically as evidenced by the stephens fight. also there is more to the striking of cowboy than of pettis. he is able to employ viscous knees and utilize the elbows to greater effect than pettis. the backgrounds probably play into that as this is essentially a muay thai guy vs a taikwondo guy. and you don't go 28-0-1 as a proffessional kickboxer without knowing how to strike. on the ground pettis has done alright but guida shut him down pretty easily and cowboy is a veritable prodigy when it comes to triangles. not much ground and pound from either fighter that i can recall. chins are both great so its going to be a war and probably end with a cowboy win.

I'm trying not to talk about it. Don't wanna jinx it. GO PETTIS! I love Cerrone too but Pettis is the future!

Pettis has more power speed and diversity than diaz. Cerrone really has no advantage standing.
ok more diversity than diaz is easy throw one kick. but cowboy has more diversity than pettis. and pettis really doesn't hit hard he is accurate sure and lands good shots but he has landed a lot of clean shots that really didn't do much. i know he crushed lauzon but with shin to skull its hard not to. cowboy hits way harder than pettis. and if he starts getting lit up well his entire camp has been wrestling based so look for a takedown. not to mention the guy is a jits genius. as long as i have known him i have seen him submitted one time in practice and twice ever ben henderson being the second. and he rolls with some monsters. i mean carlos condit nate marquardt diego sanchez and martin kampmann are all really good on the ground and a weight class up and he walks through them. if it goes to the ground thats a wrap. but standing you cannot seriously overlook a 28-0-1 kickboxer just because pettis can jump off a cage.

I've got Cerrone in a decision upset; I know he's a warrior but I strongly smell a Jackson gameplan creeping in. My prediction - mostly striking with Cerrone struggling for a takedown against the fence. THink it will be like the Stephens Cerrone fight but with Cerrone getting the nod. Hope i'm wrong though.

its hard to get outstruck by someone who is grappling based. he really hasn't faced many strikers in his career. so we have only seen him in his element on the feet. cowboy fought guillard who is a big power puncher and took his best shot before winning via ko he fought diaz and stephens and siver all accomplished strikers. olivera is a decent kickboxer razor rob is a good striker and paul kelly despite being relatively unexceptional is still a striking based fighter. so cowboy has been facing guys with better pedigrees at least in that regard than pettis. by contrast ben henderson and jeremy stephens are all that stand out on the pettis resume as strikers. and stephens just grappled the whole time so we never got to see what he could do with his hands. pettis is a good striker but he is unaccustomed to facing others who are equally qualified so cowboy comes in with a huge experience factor. i understand that pettis has looked relatively dominant but i find it to be not because of some supreme skill but rather stylistically favorable matchups.

I've got Cerrone in a decision upset; I know he's a warrior but I strongly smell a Jackson gameplan creeping in. My prediction - mostly striking with Cerrone struggling for a takedown against the fence. THink it will be like the Stephens Cerrone fight but with Cerrone getting the nod. Hope i'm wrong though.
he has not been at jacksons at all this camp so you would be wrong.

its hard to get outstruck by someone who is grappling based. he really hasn't faced many strikers in his career. so we have only seen him in his element on the feet. cowboy fought guillard who is a big power puncher and took his best shot before winning via ko he fought diaz and stephens and siver all accomplished strikers. olivera is a decent kickboxer razor rob is a good striker and paul kelly despite being relatively unexceptional is still a striking based fighter. so cowboy has been facing guys with better pedigrees at least in that regard than pettis. by contrast ben henderson and jeremy stephens are all that stand out on the pettis resume as strikers. and stephens just grappled the whole time so we never got to see what he could do with his hands. pettis is a good striker but he is unaccustomed to facing others who are equally qualified so cowboy comes in with a huge experience factor. i understand that pettis has looked relatively dominant but i find it to be not because of some supreme skill but rather stylistically favorable matchups.
and there is one other fighter who has a bit of a striking pedigree. bart palaszewski took him three rounds winning a close split decision but what i am looking at is when in the third he dropped pettis. not exactly what you would expect from the master striker pettis. and ben henderson did just fine in the standup except for a few moments (showtime kick) that really cost him the fight.

Pettis has more power speed and diversity than diaz. Cerrone really has no advantage standing.
ok more diversity than diaz is easy throw one kick. but cowboy has more diversity than pettis. and pettis really doesn't hit hard he is accurate sure and lands good shots but he has landed a lot of clean shots that really didn't do much. i know he crushed lauzon but with shin to skull its hard not to. cowboy hits way harder than pettis. and if he starts getting lit up well his entire camp has been wrestling based so look for a takedown. not to mention the guy is a jits genius. as long as i have known him i have seen him submitted one time in practice and twice ever ben henderson being the second. and he rolls with some monsters. i mean carlos condit nate marquardt diego sanchez and martin kampmann are all really good on the ground and a weight class up and he walks through them. if it goes to the ground thats a wrap. but standing you cannot seriously overlook a 28-0-1 kickboxer just because pettis can jump off a cage.

Stopped reading at "Pettis doesn't hit hard."

Stopped reading at "Pettis doesn't hit hard."
well allow me to explain my rationale. he has most of his ko tko wins by headkick. a headkick usually gets the job done but his hands have looked weak in the past. highly accurate yes powerful no. head kicks are one of those things that rely more on timing and accuracy the power is from the weight of the leg. cowboy has power in his hands. the comment about his power was more related to the hands since a kick has natural power.

I hope its Pettis I want to see the Henderson rematch.

Its not that hard to crush Lauzon with a head kick? Jesus he must have a lot of losses by headkick KO then...oh...you were just trolling?

well allow me to explain my rationale. he has most of his ko tko wins by headkick. a headkick usually gets the job done but his hands have looked weak in the past. highly accurate yes powerful no. head kicks are one of those things that rely more on timing and accuracy the power is from the weight of the leg. cowboy has power in his hands. the comment about his power was more related to the hands since a kick has natural power.

Cerrone usually hurts people with kicks too, and throughout his career Pettis has many more finishes via strikes. So to say Cerrone hits way harder is ridiculous. Besides, Pettis dropped Bendo with his hands, also Bartimus. He used to drop people all the time with his hands earlier in his career. Then he ran into numerous opponents who wanted to wrestle him, so most of those fights took place primarily on the ground, otherwise on the outside where it's hard to (t)ko people with your hands, if Pettis had his way.

Pettis dosnt hit hrd neethr dose Anderson Silva

Its not that hard to crush Lauzon with a head kick? Jesus he must have a lot of losses by headkick KO then...oh...you were just trolling?
you don't need a whole lot of power to make a headkick put someone to sleep. a leg is a very heavy limb and the weight of it combined with any speed is pretty devastating. power is more of a boxing phrase in reference to a persons hands as possessing ko ability. i cannot say how much power i have seen in pettis hands he has a tkd background and they are not generally power punchers. great kicks sure but hands not so much. cerrone having more power is a conclusion i have drawn after watching his kickboxing fights of which he has 29. most end in ko. many from punches. so my comment that pettis does not hit hard is based on his background and heavy reliance on kicks while saying cowboy does have power is drawn from the fact the guy was a ko machine before a submission heavy mma career.

Cerrone usually hurts people with kicks too, and throughout his career Pettis has many more finishes via strikes. So to say Cerrone hits way harder is ridiculous. Besides, Pettis dropped Bendo with his hands, also Bartimus. He used to drop people all the time with his hands earlier in his career. Then he ran into numerous opponents who wanted to wrestle him, so most of those fights took place primarily on the ground, otherwise on the outside where it's hard to (t)ko people with your hands, if Pettis had his way.
but that is an mma career. much like edson barboza cowboy started in muay thai having a proffessional 28-0-1 record and i believe 18-0 amateur with quite a few ko's in both. he also had great jiujitsu. but no wrestling. so he got taken down a lot of times and he finished 13 fights by submission to prove it. pettis has clean accurate striking to be sure you cannot deny that but it relies more on accuracy than on power. thats not to say it isn't effective but to say he hits harder than cowboy would be ridiculous.

Back