Cerrone VS Pettis (Stand Up)

Jukai: I guess i was right after all. That cartwheel kick almost made him eat a clean knee, and the cartwheel kick didnt do anything.

Like i said: it was a basic technique like the left kick to the liver that won him the fight.

:)

Jukai: I guess i was right after all. That cartwheel kick almost made him eat a clean knee, and the cartwheel kick didnt do anything.

Like i said: it was a basic technique like the left kick to the liver that won him the fight.

:)

Pshhhh don't try and claim victory over this. Someone on the heavies posted footage from his cell from another angle, the cartwheel kick connected much harder than the knee.

And the cartwheel kick doesn't exist in Muay Thai or Taekwondo, not in the way Pettis did it. That's 100% Showtime Pettis right there.

I may be wrong, but I think the "cartwheel kick" as we're calling it comes from capoeira.

pettis has TKD tendencies, but he clearly mixes things together and uses everything. The closest pure tkd guy in the UFC is Ben Henderson.

Bas despised livers and made it his lifes work to destroy them. He also hated eyes, that's why he made "Here comes the boom"

Everyone underestimates the bad movie to the eye.

pettis has TKD tendencies, but he clearly mixes things together and uses everything. The closest pure tkd guy in the UFC is Ben Henderson.

Pretty sure that describes everyone in MMA with the exception of a lone few. Pettis is incredibly unorthodox; so, what does he train that other people don't train that we can credit that to?

Right, the techniques are universal, its his style that is different. You cant say that every technique is a MT technique by default.

Yeah you're right silly me it's obviously a TKD technique. I see them do that all the time :icon_lol: Who said every technique is MT, I picked two... one that actually is and 2nd from a film. Someone is butt hurt about MT :eek:

Last edited:
If you strip away the sport elements, most martial arts pretty much have the same techniques.

Punches, kicks, knees and elbows are found in TKD, MT, karate, etc. Just like a roundhouse can't be claimed uniquely as TKD, knees and elbows can't be claimed uniquely as MT.

Ah c'mon name one other martial art that takes knees and elbows to such a refined level as MT? All martial arts have punches but are there any that are as developed as Boxing?

Ah c'mon name one other martial art that takes knees and elbows to such a refined level as MT? All martial arts have punches but are there any that are as developed as Boxing?

he didnt say as refined he just said they exist in numerous styles toolboxes

All martial arts have kicks but are any of them as refined as taekwondo?

Muay Thai got the best kicks for full contact. But that dont mean that TKD kicks are useless

Pretty sure that describes everyone in MMA with the exception of a lone few. Pettis is incredibly unorthodox; so, what does he train that other people don't train that we can credit that to?

Look, I am happy, more so than most, with the recent respect TKD is getting in the MMA arena. But the fact is, Pettis didn't really do anything that looked like TKD last night. Right after the fight, in the Heavies forum, people were saying things like "TKD rocks" and "TKD is an exciting style", etc, when TKD really wasn't on display.

To answer your question, and it is an insteresting one, I think it has more to do with Pettis' will to put on a show, as well as his will to use techniques that are outside of the box, that his opponents won't be ready for. I also think that his TKD training and his boxing and MT training has given him a firm understanding of the standup game, to the point that he can pull of the stuff that he does and make it look good. The same with Anderson Silva. Once you experience different stand up styles and theories,you just become really balanced on your feet and you can start creating your own unique style, and trying new things.

So in conclusion, I sort of agree with you, but not completely.

A side note: where did Samaag go?

Look, I am happy, more so than most, with the recent respect TKD is getting in the MMA arena. But the fact is, Pettis didn't really do anything that looked like TKD last night. Right after the fight, in the Heavies forum, people were saying things like "TKD rocks" and "TKD is an exciting style", etc, when TKD really wasn't on display.

To answer your question, and it is an insteresting one, I think it has more to do with Pettis' will to put on a show, as well as his will to use techniques that are outside of the box, that his opponents won't be ready for. I also think that his TKD training and his boxing and MT training has given him a firm understanding of the standup game, to the point that he can pull of the stuff that he does and make it look good. The same with Anderson Silva. Once you experience different stand up styles and theories,you just become really balanced on your feet and you can start creating your own unique style, and trying new things.

He didn't do anything that looked like Taekwondo because he's not competing in a Taekwondo tournament. Much like I haven't seen anyone fight like Sam-A, but Muay Thai is credited for just about everything.

He didn't do anything that looked like Taekwondo because he's not competing in a Taekwondo tournament

Machida isn't competing in a shotokan tourney, but it sure the hell looks like he is doing karate. Cung Lee isn't in a TKD tourney or a Sanda tourney, but it looks like he is. Bendo moves and kicks like he is in a TKD tourney, even though he aint. BJ isn't in a boxing match, but it looks like he boxes in there. Pettis on the other hand, is doing his own thang. Again, nothing he did last night said TKD.

Machida isn't competing in a shotokan tourney, but it sure the hell looks like he is doing karate. Cung Lee isn't in a TKD tourney or a Sanda tourney, but it looks like he is. Bendo moves and kicks like he is in a TKD tourney, even though he aint. BJ isn't in a boxing match, but it looks like he boxes in there. Pettis on the other hand, is doing his own thang. Again, nothing he did last night said TKD.

I tend to agree makdessi a tma guy looks like a tkd/tma guy...as did that other guy who fights at welter and has an extensive tma b/g Stephen Thompson, same goes for Ryan jimmo (karate). It seems more obvious with those guys...that being said...pettis has stated his tkd is the foundation for his striking and what gives him the ability to be as diverse dynamic and mobile as he is. Because tkd emphasizes accuracy..diversity...quickness and the ability to move..extend and close distance.

nice post, good read

Well said bro!

Sometimes when a guy like Petis can use such unorthodox or "surprising" techniques, it makes an opponent look for or become more cautious of the unexpected........ In which case the simpler or less "complex" techniques become more effective....... smoke n mirrors, works in the ring just like it does in politics.

I don't know what you mean 'nothing he did last night was TKD.' What do you consider TKD? I know there wasn't any spinning tornado kicks, but his roundhouse kicks always look pretty snappy to me.

Why do you consider Bendo more of a TKD fighter than Pettis?

I don't know what you mean 'nothing he did last night was TKD.' What do you consider TKD? I know there wasn't any spinning tornado kicks, but his roundhouse kicks always look pretty snappy to me.

Why do you consider Bendo more of a TKD fighter than Pettis?

as a non-TKD guy, I'm wondering what part of his game was TKD there. imma go back and watch it but i guess my impression of TKD is something different than what your interpretation is.

short fight, so i should be back here soon...unfortunatly, since im a big fan of Cowboy.

EDIT: ok...im back. i saw one side kick and the rest of it looked to be MT style roundhouses to the body. unless the cartwheel kick/off the cage knee are a TKD techniques also.

Last edited:
Back