Cerrone VS Pettis (Stand Up)

Bay Area

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
You know the drill, who has the advantage on the feet, who wins the match, whose the better striker etc

4.gif

tumblr_m8pe6xZsom1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

VS

UFC-144-Pettis-KOs-Lauzon.gif

4.gif

12.gif

Cerrone looks bad in that first gif with his hands low, chin up and right in front of the opponent.

He will get caught by a few right hands in their match, mark my words.

This all depends on what kind of gameplan Cerrone shows up with, but the answer to most is Pettis via decisive decision imo.

I think pettis take this. but he need to stick to the basics. and skip the jet li stuff.

I think pettis take this. but he need to stick to the basics. and skip the jet li stuff.

I disagree. The Jet li stuff is what throws his opponents off. Its what makes him dangerous. He throws kicks from different angles. Creativitiy is a huge plus for him.

I disagree. The Jet li stuff is what throws his opponents off. Its what makes him dangerous. He throws kicks from different angles. Creativitiy is a huge plus for him.

Against lesser strikers then himself, yes. This time he need to use his speed and basic strikes. maybe a switch knee or kick a few times. but nothing more fancy than that.

off topic: man i hate skrillex.. :icon_surp

I'm predicting Pettis to land a lot of straight rights off of Cerrone's leg kicks. Cerrone rarely moves off center or posts up when he throws the low kick, and I don't think Pettis will have too much trouble stepping into the kick to land the counter.

this will be a straight up muay thai match lol.. Id say pettis has the advantage in the kicking department.. So I think he takes this

Providing he does't get too worked up and dump like the Diaz fight, I'm gonna go with Cerrone. I think his pressure could unsettle Pettis and not give him time to think. I also think he's more well rounded than Pettis.
Bend v Cowboy III

Last edited:
Providing he does't get too worked up and dump like the Diaz fight, I'm gonna go with Cerrone. I think his pressure could unsettle Pettis and not give him time to think. I also think he's more well rounded than Pettis.
Bend v Cowboy III

What makes you think that Cowboy is the more well rounded fighter? Cerrone has some really poor boxing, as much as I like him. He's very, very hittable. He may have an advantage on the ground, but Pettis is no slouch there, either. Pettis by headkick.

Cerrone is solid offensively, but his defense lacks. Many opponents have landed solid on him (Guillard, Diaz, Kelly, McCullough, etc.). He gets by with it because he can recover and he's very potent offensively. I think offensively they are pretty close to equal, but Pettis is much better defensively. His footwork and angles are also better.

I think cerrone hits harder and is the much better grappler; but he is fairly one dimensional in all aspects off mma, he can effectively attack as a striker grappled submission guy. But he can't seem to def effectively or consistently, varner guilliard Diaz Kelly all landed on Donald and had him in trouble; none of those guys has the all round striking of pettis , not in regards to diversity of strikes or balance of skills I.e. counter offense defense.

That being said pettis has issues with pressure and vendor was able to land consistently with the hands and with kicks...Donald hits harder that bendo and has better kicks (setups attacks and counters). Donald has very good offense pressure and recovery which makes it hard to finish hhim or effectively attack him.

Also cerrone can finish on he ground if Anthony gets to excited or tries to work the takedown game..

And finally cerrone has been fighting alot pettis has been inactive since Koing lauzon, you know how long ago that was...long enough for Joe to go win three of four fights; on activity is tough for a guy who depends on timing mobility precision striking..

Donald has had three or four fights and camps fighting solid comp ..that may play a part..

My mistake Joe and Donald have had two fights...but pettis has been out of action for almost a year so that point still stands.

Last edited:
What makes you think that Cowboy is the more well rounded fighter? Cerrone has some really poor boxing, as much as I like him. He's very, very hittable. He may have an advantage on the ground, but Pettis is no slouch there, either. Pettis by headkick.
Ment more about his MMA game, good wrestling, good grappling, good against the cage.
I just see him using his ringcraft to cut off the cage and using pressure to put Petits on the back foot. Alot of guys have problems closing the distance with Petits and follow him round rather that cutting him off and backing him up. I think Cowboy's experience could prevent that.

I was massively wrong with the Bendo fight though, so I'll go with what Peanut says!!!

I think cerrone hits harder and is the much better grappler; but he is fairly one dimensional in all aspects off mma, he can effectively attack as a striker grappled submission guy. But he can't seem to def effectively or consistently, varner guilliard Diaz Kelly all landed on Donald and had him in trouble; none of those guys has the all round striking of pettis , not in regards to diversity of strikes or balance of skills I.e. counter offense defense.

That being said pettis has issues with pressure and vendor was able to land consistently with the hands and with kicks...Donald hits harder that bendo and has better kicks (setups attacks and counters). Donald has very good offense pressure and recovery which makes it hard to finish hhim or effectively attack him.

Also cerrone can finish on he ground if Anthony gets to excited or tries to work the takedown game..

And finally cerrone has been fighting alot pettis has been inactive since Koing lauzon, you know how long ago that was...long enough for Joe to go win three of four fights; on activity is tough for a guy who depends on timing mobility precision striking..

Donald has had three or four fights and camps fighting solid comp ..that may play a part..

Great breakdown. What he said

Ment more about his MMA game, good wrestling, good grappling, good against the cage.
I just see him using his ringcraft to cut off the cage and using pressure to put Petits on the back foot. Alot of guys have problems closing the distance with Petits and follow him round rather that cutting him off and backing him up. I think Cowboy's experience could prevent that.

I was massively wrong with the Bendo fight though, so I'll go with what Peanut says!!!

I'd say that Pettis has the wrestling advantage and their BJJ is probably a wash. I'm not sure that Cerrone will be able to cut Pettis off either (Cerrone is much more linear while Pettis cuts good angles). I'd pick Cerrone to win a firefight, but IMO Pettis is a more well-rounded striker and will be able to control distance and counter Cerrone's kicks well.

cowboy needs to redeem himself , pettis wont get into his head like nate diaz did ,

im going with cowboy only because his ground game is better , pettis may have slight edge standing , but after he got wrestle fucked by guida he will avoid the ground and that is what will throw him off his game , i think cowboy will take him down early just to throw him off , should be a great fight

cowboy rd 3 decision

Back