Cerrone vs Jury, round 1 - 10:9...

Man you just get better and better. Also you should start with actually reading the unified rules.

Translation: I have no good explanation of how Jury got 9 points out of 10.

Man, I'm not sure if you know but we have 10:10, 10:9, 10:8 and 10:7 (in theory), right?

If the full range was used properly as you're pointing out, the 10 point must system could work.

Cerrone didn't finish omoplata or RNC, he just controlled Jury on the ground via holding a body triangle. 10-9 for Cerrone, but no more than that.

It's this rationale that means every round is scored 10-9.

Dead heat = 10-9.
One fighter edges it = 10-9.
One fighter dominates = 10-9.
One fighter beats the shit out of opponent = 10-9
(maybe one judge will go crazy and award a 10-8)

MMA fans that declare everything a 10-9 are part of the problem.

Last edited:
urgh, the whole round by round scoring is complete garbage.

MMA scoring should be done actually *judging* the fight as an entirety (not just scoring individual chunks of it). There are simply too few scoring milestones in a 15 minute fight to adequately render a decision using arbitrarily assigned 10-9's, 8's etc. without opening the door for stupid/inadequate results (which we often see). Either you score it every minute with a +1 blue / +1 red / even or you do it 'overall'. I prefer overall as it allows judging context.

Either way - according to the precedents set by scores in the past, it was a clear 10-9, but in no way a 10-8

I understand what op is trying to say and somewhat agree in principle. It's odd to consider a round so one sided the same as a round that is really close, but it was just a good position and it seems odd to give so much for that.

A good position is really only as good as how effectively it is used. Cerrone held it but he didn't really get anything going. A 10-9 is fair

In my head, I had it 10-8, but I agree upon reflection that was generous. Despite having it reversed by the wonderful omaplata, Jury did "sort of" land the takedown that ended up with him on his back for most of the round.

My personal card was 30-26, but I wasn't the ringside judge, and I don't disagree with 30-27

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say, TS.

For me, I can't imagine how any judge could give Jury 9s, and this is just yet another example of how odd scoring is. Those were most certainly not 9 pt rounds for Jury. 8s would have been generous.

Jury defended every sub attempt, a lot of lightweights wouldn't be able to do the same. It was 10-9, get over it.

Also this is another Cerone nuthugging thread, seen many rounds exactly the same, but no one wasted a thread on it.

I thought it was close to a 10-8 but scored it 10-9, if Cerrone would have either hurt or had 1 more close submission attempt on him, or landed more punches maybe.

If you want to see a 10-8 round that is similar to this but the guy did enough to get the 10-8 look at Rampage vs Forrest round 2 and compare it to round 1 of this fight.

Here are the stats.

Cerrone vs Jury
http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/f4d91498ca3f0a1f

Rampage vs Griffin
http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/ae674ec42bd0a979

Again, you're not accounting for the offense generated by the defender.

It doesn't matter how well he defends. How much offense does he generate? If all he does is defend 85 strikes, get hit by 15 strikes, and generates no offense, then absolutely he should not get 9 points out of 10.

Scoring is about offense, not defense. Defense can mitigate against your opponent scoring, but it doesn't earn you points on its own.

I wouldn't say landing only 3 strikes a minute for a round is anything to write home about, certainly not worthy of a 10-8 score. Defense does in fact score, because while offense is what counts in the end, we don't remember submissions that were never anywhere close to a finish. We don't remember them because they weren't even close to finishing. They weren't close to finishing because of defense.

Back