Cerrone vs Jury, round 1 - 10:9...

If I recall, Maia had the same type of round against Fitch and got a 10-9.
We can disagree all we like but at least they're consistent about it.
I called the 1st round 10-9 for what it's worth.

To be honest, I don't care what the Fitch Maia got. If it got 10:9 then it was wrong as well.
You people agree with ridiculous scoring like that and then you complain about the judging. I don't get you.
10:8, not close, period. I don't care if he just held on. It's Jury's job to get out of this position.

Cerrone didn't finish omoplata or RNC, he just controlled Jury on the ground via holding a body triangle. 10-9 for Cerrone, but no more than that.

What kind of argument is that? if he'd finished them then we wouldn't be talking about a decision.

Personally I do think Cerrone made a strong case for 10-8 even with current judging standards, not only was he dominant for the entire round but he also had two very good sub attempts and seemed to have another as the round ended.

That near subs can't get you a 10-8 to me gives a good explanation as to why we see so little aggressive BJJ anymore in MMA, very few fighters are willing to risk it as that risk outweighs the reward. You compare say this match to Jacare/Carmont, exactly the same score but Jacare takes no risk at all when he does is hold the body triangle.

Well, scoring has always been one of the biggest problems UFC has.

You get someone absolutely dominate his opponent - the round is almost always 10-9. You have someone barely winning - 10-9 again.

I too dont get it. That among other things such as why no point deduction for stalling, extra points for trying to finish (Jury went out to score points that night) and other stuff that would make fight scores more fair and fights more interesting

man everyone would do back mount if they could score 10 - 8. Back mount is very difficult to get out of,even if you do no damage to the guy.

Everyone IS doing back mount if they can ;) Don't tell me they don't try.

Everyone IS doing back mount if they can ;) Don't tell me they don't try.

hahahahah...sure but once you put it on,man the guy cant do anything,and unless you release it to go for a sub you cant do much either other than hit the guy with jon fitch punches. The ref wont even make you let it go probably.

10 8 if for when you dominate your opponent with damaging attacks, not when you hold him for the most part of the round.

No, there should not be a 10-8 round just cause one guy has the others back for 4 minutes.

Plus 2 sub attempts. Jury did literally nothing to Cerrone the whole round. It wasn't even close.

Definitely scored it a10-8

10 8 if for when you dominate your opponent with damaging attacks, not when you hold him for the most part of the round.

Yeah, but he also almost finished him. Unless I was seeing things differently.

"It only sometimes is," you don't get much more arbitrary and inconsistent than that--both qualities that do scoring a disservice.

Can you imagine if say football scoring was just as arbitrary? "Touchdowns only sometimes award 6 points."

Doing virtually nothing to your opponent and getting 9 points out of 10 is really quite something.

That's a terrible analogy because scoring in football is and can be easily and clearly defined.

You simply can't do that with striking/grappling, it has to be subjective.

hahahahah...sure but once you put it on,man the guy cant do anything,and unless you release it to go for a sub you cant do much either other than hit the guy with jon fitch punches. The ref wont even make you let it go probably.

That's true to some extent. I mean, that's true, period. But. It's the problem of the guy who got himself into a position like that. I COULD MAYBE understand if 10:9 was given if there was no point during this time where the finish was close. But in this case, it was close man. At least I think it was. And then again, 10:9 is for rounds that are close. So how is that a close round? It isn't. You got yourself into a bad position and can't get out of it, it's your problem. You have next 2 rounds to repay the favour.

That's true to some extent. I mean, that's true, period. But. It's the problem of the guy who got himself into a position like that. I COULD MAYBE understand if 10:9 was given if there was no point during this time where the finish was close. But in this case, it was close man. At least I think it was. And then again, 10:9 is for rounds that are close. So how is that a close round? It isn't. You got yourself into a bad position and can't get out of it, it's your problem. You have next 2 rounds to repay the favour.

im a grappler myself,so i totally understand your logic,when it comes to that. Its just that whenever i've seen a fighter take the backmount (in mma ) and the guy who is stuck in it has ANY clue what he is doing,all the backmount did was stall the fight for a few minutes,until the guy in the backmount switched to something else. So i guess it's just what the end results have been,from what i've seen in the past.

I would like to see a more varied and illustrative scoring instead of the ubiquitous 10:9... but what if for arguments sake (NOT what I think the score was!)
Cerrone round 1- 10:8
Jury round 2- 10:9 by a hair
Jury round 3- 10:9 clear but nothing to speak of.

The fight is a draw and I can imagine this would be the bane of the UFC and the fans if they had draws all the time. Not saying we should score just to avoid this but it could make things worse in decisions- if thats possible? Not sure which is worse but judging is often a crappy indicator of the fight.

That's a terrible analogy because scoring in football is and can be easily and clearly defined.

You simply can't do that with striking/grappling, it has to be subjective.

It's not a terrible analogy. Striking and grappling are both quite clear. Grappling especially.

The subjectivity only comes with assuming damage, although often times damage can be quite visible.

In the Cerrone v. Jury fight, you don't even need to bother factoring in damage assumptions because the only one doing anything in the fight was Cerrone. Jury wasn't controlling, landing, or threatening with much of anything throughout the entire fight, yet he was constantly getting controlled, landed on, and threatened. There was also visible damage. Yet, this somehow inexplicably earns him 9 points out of 10.

I would've scored it 10-8. That round sucked all the confidence out of jury and had him mentally broken. He didn't land a single strike and spent 4 mins fighting off a dangerous position and the other minute stuck in an omoplata

Why are people so against scoring rounds 10-8? I hate the argument that it prevents the other fighter from being able to win the fight and only earn a draw. Bullshit, he can win a round 10-8 also. The fact that we only have 10-9 rounds, in my opinion, is partially why fighters are so unwilling to take risks. It's simply not worth it. Do significant damage, 10-9, just maintain position, 10-9, dominate the entire round, 10-9. There's no incentive to take a risk.

It should. It's the other guy's problem that he can't do shit about it.
It's not a close round man. I don't understand why you would give a draw to a fight where round 1 was how it was between Cerrone vs Jury, and the other round would be extremely close but went to Jury. It's a draw for you? GOd no.

What exactly screams dominance to you about an attempted omoplata and a body triangle? Jury couldn't do anything about it, but Cerrone was never close to finishing the fight from those positions either.

im a grappler myself,so i totally understand your logic,when it comes to that. Its just that whenever i've seen a fighter take the backmount (in mma ) and the guy who is stuck in it has ANY clue what he is doing,all the backmount did was stall the fight for a few minutes,until the guy in the backmount switched to something else. So i guess it's just what the end results have been,from what i've seen in the past.

I feel you, I really do. I think something should be done with the scoring system.
Also, in this case, Cerrone did try to finish him and it was pretty close. I think he deserved 10:8. But just holding on, I feel you. But then again, I'm not happy with 10:9. I'm sure that the scoring could be improved to take those things into consideration.

10-8 needs to be more severe imo (knock-down, close finish etc..)

now I have to rewatch...

What exactly screams dominance to you about an attempted omoplata and a body triangle? Jury couldn't do anything about it, but Cerrone was never close to finishing the fight from those positions either.

Apart from the fact that he was. You must have missed this moment ;)

10-8 needs to be more severe imo (knock-down, close finish etc..)

The finish was close on the rear naked. Plus, so what is 10:7 for? Right, I know, for killing the other person.
Scoring system is (almost) fine just the way it is, I mean the points. People just don't use it.

Back