*Cerrone is a 100% gatekeeper: Beats the average guys, losses to the top ones*

I like Al but I've got Cowboy in this one, he's the Post-USADA Bisping of LW

Iaquinta went five full rounds with the LW GOAT Khabib
therefore iaquinta is the second best LW ever

Cerrone a gatekeeper?? LOL, not quite. He's beaten champion level fighters in the UFC.

I really dislike Cerrone as a person, but I truly love him as a fighter. In my opinion he was never a gatekeeper. He went up in a weight class, fought best of the best and almost never was a bigger fighter.

Leon Edwards crushed him by size alone, Masvidal is just another top lightweight, who just have better boxing, that's why he can fight and win against bigger fighters. While Cerrone is kickboxer with great jiu-jitsu and nice TDD.

There's no shame in losing to Robbie Lawler in a real close fight, and also no shame to be knocked out by much bigger Till, before his nonexistent head movement and technique was exposed in TW and WB fights. Cerrone is old, but showed a lot of heart in a fight against a guy who have 7 wins in a row right now.

If we are not talking about his losses, we can talk about a lot of top fighters that he whether crushed and finished, or dominated the whole fight. In my opinion, he's in top 10 of all time great of lightweight. He was always a contender and never was a gatekeeper. And I say all of this as guy, who almost always roots against Cerrone's oponents.

Gatekeeper is way too harsh, imo. In my books a gatekeeper is ranked around number ten. Never any higher than that. And certainly a gatekeeper imo, does not fight for a belt.

I agree. Cerrone’s more of an “also-ran”, who would be champion if top 1-2 guys were not there. I compare him to Reggie Miller - a Hall of Fame talent that never won a championship.

Gatekeeper is way too harsh, imo. In my books a gatekeeper is ranked around number ten. Never any higher than that. And certainly a gatekeeper imo, does not fight for a belt.

He was ranked #11 when he fought for the belt, he only moved into the top 10 because of his loss to Khabib.

His only win in the previous 3 years going into that fight was against Diego Sanchez...

Has 2 wins over belt holders and a lot of people had him beating Lawler.

He was ranked #11 when he fought for the belt, he only moved into the top 10 because of his loss to Khabib.

His only win in the previous 3 years going into that fight was against Diego Sanchez...

He’s ranked higher now, and I believe he was also higher ranked than 10 at WW

If you aren't or even never were a title/record holder you shouldn't be disrespected for that and that alone.

Some of the best in the world sometimes break no records and never win a belt, just like some of the best in the world in various team sports never win a championship yet always put their opponents through hell.

Houston is one of the best basketball teams and just because Goldenstate beats them and every other team more often than not, doesn't mean they're just scrubs.

Maybe not gatekeeper but choker in big fights. He does really well if he gets in his groove. He is a good offensive kickboxer but his defense isn't that great. He gets away with it by being taller than most of his opponents.

I disagree.

As it relates to the levels within each division.

Belt Holder > Guardians of the Belt > Defenders > Gate Keepers > Journeyman

The Belt Holder is obviously, King.

Then you have the trusty guardians that guard the belt, who also challenge the king for the belt from time to time, who usually end up getting smacked around and put back in their place.

Defenders to the Guardians play a vital role in maintaining a healthy eco system within the division. Their main responsibility is to stop aggressors from climbing up the ranks and challenging a guardian or the king. Because if a defender happens to let one slip past, they are replaced with said aggressor and slip down to Gate Keeper status.

Gate Keepers are either bottom dwelling fighters or rising in the ranks, who are just a step above Bellator champions. They sort out the riff-raff.

Journeyman are riff-raffs or potential rising stars. They fight each other to get a chance of fighting a gatekeeper.

Where does Donald Cerrone land in this?

I would rank him as high as Guardian at times depending on how deep the talent is in the division

I disagree.

As it relates to the levels within each division.

Belt Holder > Guardians of the Belt > Defenders > Gate Keepers > Journeyman

The Belt Holder is obviously, King.

Then you have the trusty guardians that guard the belt, who also challenge the king for the belt from time to time, who usually end up getting smacked around and put back in their place.

Defenders to the Guardians play a vital role in maintaining a healthy eco system within the division. Their main responsibility is to stop aggressors from climbing up the ranks and challenging a guardian or the king. Because if a defender happens to let one slip past, they are replaced with said aggressor and slip down to Gate Keeper status.

Gate Keepers are either bottom dwelling fighters or rising in the ranks, who are just a step above Bellator champions. They sort out the riff-raff.

Journeyman are riff-raffs or potential rising stars. They fight each other to get a chance of fighting a gatekeeper.

Where does Donald Cerrone land in this?

I would rank him as high as Guardian at times depending on how deep the talent is in the division

Go play some dungeons and dragons, dork.

Cowboy is elite. Just because he never was champ doesn't mean he's second tier. He has some real good names on his resume.

A gatekeeper is more like someone who will never fight for the title or be a contender, just a stepping stone for future contenders and title holders, someone like Mike Perry.

It isn't the level of the competition... perhaps the mentality or stress. Timing is everything. Cowboy beat Alvarez and Alvarez had the belt three fights later.

Nonetheless I would rather watch Cowboy fight than several of the current belt holders.

He only lost to best fighters in UFC.
He fights 4-5 times per year, every fight its exciting, well rounded, great everywhere.
Cerrone is my favorite fighter because he's a real Cowboy, doing whatever he wants including alkohol, drags and extreme sports, doesnt care about weight and not significant injuries. He is a real fighter. His cave diving story is unbelievable.

Question is, Iaquinta belongs to the first or the second group?

Depends what your definition of “gatekeeper” is and who the “top guys” are....

Gatekeeper to title shots / the elite ??, gatekeeper to the top 5, top 10?, etc??

And... At certain points of time, fighters like - Melvin Guillard, Jim Miller, Charles Oliveira, Eddie Alvarez, Benson Henderson, Edson Barboza were all considered “top guys”...

Then fighters like Rick Story, Matt Brown, Evan Dunham, Martins, Jury, Stephens, Siver, Varner... Were all top-10 fighters at certain points... I would imagine all were when Cerrone fought them...

Maybe not Varner, but at the time he was close..

If Cerrone isn’t an “Elite” fighter... Then no one is... Obviously major titles are important and help set fighters a part... But I don’t think it’s the only criteria for ranking fighters... Especially in today’s ufc where fighters are given title shots in divisions they have never fought in...

If Cerrone would have managed to get a win over RDA... and win the title... would it really improve his actually standing/abilities ?? He could have won the title and then turned right around and lost it in his first defense... And while i believe a win over RDA for a title would help his stock... I just don’t believe it effects him all that much...

If Cerrone had one ufc title win... he’d be in convos for greatest lightweights ever... I’d have to look into it... but he probably has a better resume then a couple major .org champs...

We need more fighters like him and will miss him when he retires. He has the skills to beat anyone. His major anxiety before the biggest fights causes him to freeze. You can almost tell in his walk out if he is going to bust or not. A happy Donald is a dangerous Donald.

So... if you never win a title, then you are just a gatekeeper.
this. he's definitely not a gatekeeper, just seems to wilt in big fights. there's a difference.

Back