Cerrone about the shoulder strikes: "I never saw something like that"

What a load of bullshit, i'm fairly certain I've seen Cowboy use them himself. Never saw something like that my hairy ass.

Cerrone ate the first and then just stood there and ate 3 more.

Even without those shots Conor beats him. Cowboy is done.
cowboy was done before the Justin fight and we saw what happened.

If he fights again - against a decent fighter - he'll get ko'd just as fast if not faster.

For old school fans, this was an early RAW/Team Quest thing. Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, and Matt Lindland would often use shoulder strikes, especially on the ground from inside the guard. If anyone was doing it before them, I'm either not aware or I've forgotten, but either way, those three were really the ones who did it often enough and well enough to get people's attention and to set the precedent of it being an effective move and a new weapon in the MMA arsenal.

Not only that, BUT at least Jones is a PHENOMENAL grappler and had the cage + double wrist control.

Cowboy had an underhook on Connie and never bothered to do anything with it. He forgot how to fight in the clinch overnight

TOTALLY not suspect lol.

Yu0WLeN.gif

giphy.gif
it looked like cowboy got hurt with a knee on the way in though. probably not thinking right.

Cowboy had an underhook on Connie and never bothered to do anything with it. He forgot how to fight in the clinch overnight

The femur to the dome had Cerrone on queer street. He was clinching in hopes of getting his bearings. Then the shoulder that shattered his nose had him even more rocked and the left head kick effectively ended the show.

For old school fans, this was an early RAW/Team Quest thing. Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, and Matt Lindland would often use shoulder strikes, especially on the ground from inside the guard. If anyone was doing it before them, I'm either not aware or I've forgotten, but either way, those three were really the ones who did it often enough and well enough to get people's attention and to set the precedent of it being an effective move and a new weapon in the MMA arsenal.

Even amongst those who used them effectively shoulder strikes were never anything more than a cheap scoring device and/or way to annoy an opponent into changing head position. (Similar to foot stomps.)

To my knowledge no one prior to Conor ever rocked a guy much less broke a nose with one.

Even amongst those who used them effectively shoulder strikes were never anything more than a cheap scoring device and/or way to annoy an opponent into changing head position.

I wouldn't call them "cheap." A shoulder being slammed into your face is a lot worse than those nothing little body punches you see in lazy body-body-head GNP combos. Those I would call cheap scoring devices. I also think, at least some of the time if not most of the time, that it's less about annoying your opponent and more about trying to be effective and do damage even when your opponent (e.g. if you're in someone's guard and all they're doing is trying to wrap up your arms so you can't punch them) is trying to stall.

That said...

To my knowledge no one prior to Conor ever rocked a guy much less broke a nose with one.

...I can't recall anyone using them as effectively, either. Going into my memory banks, I feel like Randy's rematch with Pedro Rizzo had some solid shoulder shots from Randy, but even there, we're not talking about anything like what Conor was able to do.

Really cowboy, really?

UnfortunateMeagerAruanas.gif

Basically spent his whole career in JW, homegym of Jon Jones, and he never saw anything like this before?
I was in disbelief when I heard him say that. Wtf? His team mate was famous for that!

Tbh I don`t think anyone saw those coming.
This, while not a new technique, its something that usually doesnt seem to actually hurt the other guy, probably Conor basically hit jackpot with it and land it perfectly.

Cerrone ate the first and then just stood there and ate 3 more.

Even without those shots Conor beats him. Cowboy is done.

How can you expect him to think about shoulder strikes when he has to think about bud light, P3 and skydiving? You can only ask so much of a man.

In fairness to Cerrone he has said countless times he does not watch UFC shows normally

Conor does a couple shoulder strikes.

Conor nuthuggers:
“oMg mAkInG hIsToRy, gOaT!!1!1”

First happened in UFC 3 by Ken Shamrock. Its old technique

First I've seen to throw shoulder strikes was Hendo. I'm sure Randy has as well.

Don't know why everyone is saying Jones but Jones was the last in recent memory

I think he meant shoulder strikes in the middle of the ring, which typically dont happen because the trained opponent can move back and away from the full range of it. I am predicting that foot stomps will become the next mysterious technique MMA fighters won't see coming. You heard it here first

Foot stomps against the cage is old news, but those foot stomps in the middle of the cage, fight enders....

Shoulder strike?!? Never saw that one deeeerp. Should I throw back or just stand like a punching bag? Deeeerp. I'm just happy to be here deeeerp.

Derp Cerrone derped.

Back